Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I'm just pretty excited I've owned 4 f-bodies 2 LT1's and 2 LS1s and they are a BIIIIITCHH to work on. Did heads and cams exaust, and tranny swaps.

I am putting a set of LG's in my car and just got done taking the stock stuff off, I am in heaven, I actually enjoyed working on it. (It helps that it doesn't see much rain so it is very clean underneath)

Everything is accesable and my hands are not hamburger. If your contemplating doing your own work and enjoy working on cars an exaust on the vette is pretty damn easy I think the hardest part was getting the stock plug wires off. needless to say I'll be instaling my Taylors with the headers :)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Some things aren't so easy ... like anything in the drive train, or dropping the engine assy. To change the clutch for instance, you have to drop the whole rear subframe, torque tube, tranny just to get to the clutch. Everything from the bell housing back will be gutted from the underneath of the car.

Reminder: try to be easy on the clutch if possible. :guiness:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but all the bolts are right there! Again I'm using the F-body as a reference and changing a clutch isn't so bad I guess but its no picnic. Its my understanding that the drivetrain assembly comes out pretty easy just time consuming. I don't mind time consuming I do mind having to cover my arms in bearing grease so I can stuff them into places they don't fit to change a spark plug :)

I'm not looking forward to having to remove the steering rack for my cam install though. That is easier on the F-body.

·
21,378 Posts
I think so too! If the drive shaft wasn't in the torque tube it would be even easier yet but as it is, it's not bad. I would have hated to do anything at all to a late model F body.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
C5's are a can of corn compared to a Fbody. Most shops charge 4 hrs labor to change plug wires and 8 hours to install Headers on a Fbody. :yeadog:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
Some things aren't so easy ... like anything in the drive train, or dropping the engine assy. To change the clutch for instance, you have to drop the whole rear subframe, torque tube, tranny just to get to the clutch. Everything from the bell housing back will be gutted from the underneath of the car.

Reminder: try to be easy on the clutch if possible. :guiness:
Shit, you gotta do that with a C4 too. At least the C5 comes out as a unit, not as a collection of parts.

·
Registered
562 Posts
doing a cam on a C5 is more of a bitch than an f-body because you have to remove the steering rack from the C5....not really hard just an extra thing that has to be done though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts