Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
REad this link from GM.

Hydramatic 6 speed RWD Planetary Manual Transmission

GM's transmission leadership continues with advanced manual transmission technology.

Overwiew

A manual transmission that uses a dry input clutch and a planetary geartrain..

Compatable with GM's 6 speed rwd automatic transmission family strategy

Key features.

Fully synchornized six forward speeds and one reverse speed.

commonparts (casting, gears, and shafts) with 6 speed RWD Family

All mechanical linkages

Carbon fiber synchronizers

Park" gear state

Wide ratio spread.

Benefits:

Common vehicle packaging and intergration with 6 speed RWD family.

Gearbox quality similiar to that of GM powertrain Automatic transmissions..

·
Registered
576 Posts
I sure hope the lock-out solenoids are very dependable under all circumstances!!! Downshifting and hitting P or R will be no fun.

GOLD72 :-?

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody know if this is sequential or just a common part built on a six speed automatic/and manual...built by GM powertrain?

I bet its a tranny utilizing six speed transmission parts and a slot for park...so the passkey C6 starter concept cannot be overridden?

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This sounds about right: Oh well...for a moment I thought maybe GM was getting on the cutting edge of transmission technology....

Sounds good all the same..

Heres one of the replies I've gotten so far on this new application:

Its basically the same internals as an automatic tranny, meaning planetary gears sets for gear reduction/multiplication, but instead of using a torque converter to drive a fluid pump to actuate clutches it will have one traditional style clutch on the input shaft, and instead of using hydralic pressure and electronic solenoids to perform shifts it will have a mechanical driver controlled shifter like a traditional manual trans, it uses the same cases, shafts and gears as the auto just get rids of the hydraulics/electronics(Basically), and since planetary gears have very large gear tooth contact areas(due to multiple small pinion gears and large sun&ring gears) it is possible to have higher torque ratings than a traditional non planetary trans of similar size(T-56).

·
Registered
875 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
This sounds about right: Oh well...for a moment I thought maybe GM was getting on the cutting edge of transmission technology....
Well, with 3 actuators and 1 PCM you have a nice "sequential"
transmission.

1) Linear proportional clutch actuator
2) Linear N/S gear actuator
3) Rotational E/W gear selector

:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts