Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I went down to the Carlisle show this past weekend - what a show! More Corvettes than I'll likely ever see again, unless I go back down...

Anyway, one of the guys I was travelling with had a set of long tubes and a set of B&B PRTs on his '02Z - his car sounded AWESOME! It has a really high-strung "ripping" sound to it, and when he backs off the gas at high revs it has the nastiest snarl I've ever heard from a set of tailpipes - BEAUTIFUL! :yeadog:

My question is, to those who have a similar system, will this setup cause alot of resonance inside the car? If so, at what RPMs do you notice it most? I never got a chance to ride in this guy's car - I just heard it from outside.

I realize that this system is loud, but from outside the car it appears that most of the sound is high frequencies; it's the low frequency "booming" inside the car that I don't want.

Your advice is appreciated as this car is my daily driver (in the summer). Thanks! :drunken:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have jsut the catback and its tolerable....eventually I will have longtubes and probably keep cats on to keep it somewhat sane...but that might be a lil rough.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have TPIS lt's, stock midpipe, and a B&B PRT catback; The car is a little on the loud side, but doesn't sound loud in the interior. With the windows up, I don't notice the exhaust in any bad way.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have TPIS headers, x-pipe and RT High Flow cats along with the PRT's. The car is loud loud loud but its a good loud. Not obnoxious at least not to me. People that I am next to in traffic tell me the exhaust makes their car shake but I dont really feel it from inside the car. When cruising there is a little droning in the car usually at low RPM with the windows up, but then again, who cruises with the windows up:-? , with the windows down its not bad at all. On the highway in 6th gear it is quiet and very livable. I also have an aftermarket cam so it maybe louder now than it was before.

Hope this helps. :cheers:

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
I don't have a problem with resonance!!
Sure there is the rise in amplitude at 1600 and 2500 rpm, but if you don't like it, change gears!! No brain surgery!!
I do have Andy's partion that helps overall cabin noise, both exhaust and tire!
You've got a Z06, this means less weight thru less sound suppression material!! If you want a quiet car save your money and keep the stock exhaust!!

I love going WOT in tunnels, it wakes people up!! :eyes: :eyes:

Ken

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm running L.G. long tubes no cats with PRT's. I love it! When I first installed them I thought it was no for me but changed my mind quick when I drove it. Once you get above 3000 rpms it rips open.

·
Registered
878 Posts
have them with stock exhaust up front -no headers
love the sound , no reasonance...have a partition...
and WOT-it wakes up the city :jammin:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had that same set up. Resonance was never a problem. The PRT's sounded great before my header install, but the car became too loud for me once I added the headers and cats. I ended up going with headers and stock mufflers, and it sounds great.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
I had BPP headers/R/T Hiflo cats/xpipe/B&B PRT's. The resonance at 1500-2000 rpm sounded like a trombone section in the trunk. Very tiring on a 700 mile long drive (Z06Fest...Bowling Green, Kentucky :thumb: ). But driving around the burbs...they were just right! :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I love going through tunnels at WOT too... makes me feel like a little kid with a new toy all over again!

I'm getting some LG longtubes with cats and am looking into the PRTs 'cause I just loved the way they sounded on that guy's Z. If it's too loud inside the car I might just have to learn to deal with it. :cheers:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Blue Angel said:
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I love going through tunnels at WOT too... makes me feel like a little kid with a new toy all over again!

I'm getting some LG longtubes with cats and am looking into the PRTs 'cause I just loved the way they sounded on that guy's Z. If it's too loud inside the car I might just have to learn to deal with it. :cheers:
You will love the sound on your Z. To loud inside the car will not be a problem. Goodluck on your exhaust setup.

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
Good choice!! You will be very happy!!
I know what it sounds like inside the car!!
I love those WOT dashes thru underpasses and tunnels!!
You know it sounds good when the 'Straight pipe Harley Dude' give you a :jammin:

Have fun
Ken

1 - 12 of 12 Posts