Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the car (Red 2002 Z06) on Monday and have put 850 miles on it (about 20 MPG). I did my own prep and polish (Zaino) at the dealership when I picked it up. It runs great and I can't believe how much power it has. Even at high RPMs, it will still set you back in the seat. I love the way it sounds too.
Changed the oil (Mobile1), filter (UPF44) and added a magnetic drain plug at 500 miles. The oil pressure went up about 10psi. No oil usage to speak of...
Added a Ripper shifter and I really like the shorter throws and the way it "clicks" into gear. I bought a CAGS defeat but its not installed; I never get the 1 to 4 shift...

It gets good comments from people every time I take it out.

The only problems I have had with the car is other people driving stupid to get a better look at it and it’s real hard to not mash the loud pedal to the floor all the time.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Frisky,

Great to hear that you're enjoying your new Z. Thanks for sharing your early experiences with all of us. I hope that others follow suit and give us updates as well. Please continue to keep us posted. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Frisky, please be so kind as to answer a few questions. Since you've accumulated enough miles to have a general idea, how's the ride quality? Does the exhaust intrude enough to be bothersome on a long trip at cruising speed or only when you put your foot in it? And how does it sound when you really get on it hard? Stupid question, I know, but for those of us still waiting, we'd really like to test your descriptive writing ability. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Most of all, we'd all like to know, was it worth the wait? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

BTW, why do you think the oil pressure went up? Did you change the viscosity to a higher grade than 5W-30?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

On 2001-08-07 04:57, From dsinned; how's the ride quality? Does the exhaust intrude enough to be bothersome on a long trip at cruising speed or only when you put your foot in it? And how does it sound when you really get on it hard?
Most of all, we'd all like to know, was it worth the wait?
BTW, why do you think the oil pressure went up? Did you change the viscosity to a higher grade than 5W-30?

The wait $uck$, but it is definitely worth it!

The ride is smooth and firm on asphalt but does "bump" some on cracks in the road. The car steers like it is on rails.

The exhaust note is just right! I don't think it is too loud at cruise or WFO. It is louder than most stock cars but not too loud. It's not a problem while on the highway.
It has a pleasant, "throaty" sound that gets louder as you give it more throttle and people look when they hear it drive by.

Several people have posted that their oil pressure went up when they changed their oil the first time. I don't know why it does that... I put in 10w-30 because the temperature has been over 100 degrees for a month now. I will use 5w-30 when it cools off.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Frisky,
Thanks for your input about your 02 ride.Since i'm waiting for a while I love these stories! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd like to add to Frisky's astute post. I too have had the black beast for a solid week. Got it with one mile and now has 137 on it (due to the tropical storm, not lack of desire). simply put, love it and well worth the wait. Everyone looks and comments and the real vette connesieurs (sp?) do a double take to see the badging. The ride is great, yet stiff as expected. The exhaust note is throaty and aggressive but tones down at cruising speeds. Performance is everything I expected and much, much more although I am still being rather conservative during the breakin period. I do have to say (flame suit being put on) that prior to this, the best performer I had was a 92 Rustank GT, all the goodies including a Paxton. I never had that one on the dyno or the track so the numbers are pretty hard to compare. The pull on the Z feels much longer and stronger. Handling is the best I have ever experienced, bar none. I compare this to my 98 Quadcab /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif, a 911 that I drove for a while /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif, an RX-7 /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif, a GSXR 1100 /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif, the Rustank /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif and my wife's Taurus (company car so quit your laughing, it's all free /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

Finally got a chance to do the initial detail on Saturday with Zaino. Had to use the 3M adhesive remover in a few spots, but she came through it all with stunning beauty. I have not done any mods yet and not sure if I will. I do, however, have the CAGS ready to be installed and the CLB if needed. Although I know that everyone says that the stock shifter sucks, I will probably keep it and just change out the knob. West Coast Corvettes has a sweet brushed aluminum (or anodized black) Z06 knob that I am going to order. I have a magnetic plug on the way along with some okoles. I found a guy in town that does fluid work with both Redline and Amsoil and will be going to him at 500 on the dot.

At 101 miles I encountered the only problem so far. The AH warnign light that reads "Service AH soon" came on and the AH graphic on the speedo lit up. Upon restart it reset and came on again about 15 minutes later. This scenario repeated a few more times over the next two days. I'm not sweating it, though, simple code reset (found this out on a couple of threads here) and I will bring it in later this week. Until then, driving habits adjusted accordingly. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I'll keep you updated as I do more driving and will post some pics soon.

Semper Fi,

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
20 MPG /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif I'm barely getting 16 with mine! Too much fun I guess!

G

·
I'm getting 15 city and 22 highway, which is cool by me.

I don't drive it as hard as I did, so my numbers will probably go up.

Total since I bought the car, on paper, I've gotten 16.81 mpg (always Ultra 94 Sunoco).

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Frisky, much more power to come as you approach the 3-5000 mile mark. Glad your enjoying your new ride. Watch out for those assh*les on the road. I know exactly what your talking about,FUBU69/LES

·
Registered
226 Posts
Couple of questions and comments:

1. Does the ripper shifter remove the notchy shifting habit of the stock shifter?

2. I get 15-17 mpg city and 26-29 highway. I still have the original oil (5w30) in the car.

3. Have you compared the exhaust note to a 2001? Is is different?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You will get the skip shift at the worst possible time. It happens when you are going slowly in 1st gear, and leisurely try to shift to 2nd. It can stall the car. You simply shift back down to 2nd. I personally think the damn thing is dangerous, but I have been too lazy to do the CAGS defeat. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

On 2001-08-07 05:35, fcalmes spewed forth this drivel:
Nice report Frisky. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif I'm sure you aren't making it any easier for those still waiting!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

NO HE ISN'T!!!!!!!!!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

But the wait is worth it? Right? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Bob C,
Where did you get your info about some break-in additive? I've never heard that before.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You guys are killing me. I have no idea when Mine is coming and i cant wait any longer. Someone come pick me up and give me a ride so I can calm down for a while /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif This is the hardest thing I've ever had to wait for. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif The only thing that keeps me sane is this forum. I love reading everyones experiences so To all who already has their Zs and to the guys just getting their 02's, congrats. Im happy to hear your comments.

RedZ

·
Registered
9 Posts
Frisky, great report bud! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Mine is going down the line this week and I simply can't wait till I have it in my pretty little hands..heheeh /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

1 - 20 of 23 Posts