Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my limited track experience, I have never messed with tire pressure - or needed to (I think). I start at 30 cold and they typically get to 36-7 hot. Sidewalls don't appear to be rolling over too much. I still have the stock GY F1's.

There are little triangles around the circumference of the tires, the wear pattern is almost making it to the triangles - within 1/4 inch.

About the only quasi-abnormal thing I have noticed is a lot of tire snot if I take it easy for the last few laps of a session. It takes a hotter lap or two to throw the crap off the tires before they get all their grip and balance back.

The local BMW club lets Z06 guys play with them at their Watkins Glen DE's. They do a active tech inspection of each vehicle and appear to require a minimum of 33 psi cold, all around. This surprised me, I don't know if it is a BWM thing or if they actually enforce it for everyone.

What pressure do you start with on the GY F1's?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
It depends a bit on the track, but when running F1's I would start at 30-32 all 'round and examine the tires to see that you are getting a little roll-over, but no more than to the indicators.

Les

kmagvette said:
In my limited track experience, I have never messed with tire pressure - or needed to (I think). I start at 30 cold and they typically get to 36-7 hot. Sidewalls don't appear to be rolling over too much. I still have the stock GY F1's.

There are little triangles around the circumference of the tires, the wear pattern is almost making it to the triangles - within 1/4 inch.

About the only quasi-abnormal thing I have noticed is a lot of tire snot if I take it easy for the last few laps of a session. It takes a hotter lap or two to throw the crap off the tires before they get all their grip and balance back.

The local BMW club lets Z06 guys play with them at their Watkins Glen DE's. They do a active tech inspection of each vehicle and appear to require a minimum of 33 psi cold, all around. This surprised me, I don't know if it is a BWM thing or if they actually enforce it for everyone.

What pressure do you start with on the GY F1's?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Depends on if going for best time or most predictable feel.
Hot it was always at around 36 front and 34 rear for best times.
Best feel was actually more like 40 front and 38 rear.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
It appears that you a running the GY F1's SC correctly and according to the factory recommended starting point.

The actual starting cold pressure should be determined and fine tuned according to the actual tire temps you experience on the track.
These will vary according to driiving style, amount of Negative camber and Toe settings, depth of tread and amount of wear on the tires, and how the car is corner weighted.

I do highly recommend on investing in a set of good quality race wheels that are stronger and lighter and a set of race tires such as DOT Kuhmos or Hoosiers or R Hoosiers.

Why are you burning up expensive GY F1 SC tires on the track when cheaper race tires will yield better performance ??

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
DJ .. you da man on this stuff .... I like my Hoosiers just fine, the "problem" is how to transport them. For a nearby race I can either get a friend to put them in a truck, or I can drive to the track with them on. Add some distance and transporting the Hoosiers becomes a problem.

Les

DJWorm said:
It appears that you a running the GY F1's SC correctly and according to the factory recommended starting point.

The actual starting cold pressure should be determined and fine tuned according to the actual tire temps you experience on the track.
These will vary according to driiving style, amount of Negative camber and Toe settings, depth of tread and amount of wear on the tires, and how the car is corner weighted.

I do highly recommend on investing in a set of good quality race wheels that are stronger and lighter and a set of race tires such as DOT Kuhmos or Hoosiers or R Hoosiers.

Why are you burning up expensive GY F1 SC tires on the track when cheaper race tires will yield better performance ??

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DJWorm said:
Because the cheaper race tires need $1200-$1700 wheels that I don't have - yet. That the race/track tires are significantly cheaper will be use in the spending package presented to Congress (a.k.a Wife) when the SC's are toast.

Single guys won't understand, most married guys do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts