Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on changing my M12 tranny and differential fluids soon at 10k and 15k respectively with Redline products. I have seen posted several times in the past that some folks have used threadlock on the drain and fill bolts to prevent leakage. The 2001 GM service manual does not specify threadlock for the drain and fill bolts. The "Cautions" page in Volume 1 for fasteners states not to use threadlock or thread lubricants unless specifically noted.

Has anyone had problems using the threadlock or leakage due to not using threadlock when changing their transmission and/or differential fluids??

Thanks
GOLD72 :-?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Teflon Sealer

GM sells teflon in a tube. Use sparingly, and you'll have no leaks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Baron. I would not have thought that it would be Teflon. Should make it easy to remove the bolts the next time. :) I was concerned that it would be a anti-vibration compound that might make it more difficult. :mad:

GOLD72

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bought a tube of Permatex Automotive Grade Thread Sealant for high temperature (400 F) but it does not mention containing any teflon. I never saw any teflon paste type sealants at Hi-Lo. Three features on the package: 1) prevents leakage from vibration & temperature cycling, 2) protects against corrosion & galling of threads, and 3) parts repositionable after application. It would appear that this product is what is needed.

GOLD72

1 - 4 of 4 Posts