Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice a ticking, which sounds like possibly valvetrain noise to me, from my engine at around 2000 rpm. The ticking isn't loud like a valve knock or a major problem, but is still bothers me. I checked my oil level and it is full. I am just breaking the car in with less than 500 miles on it. Is this normal?

·
Registered
345 Posts
If its not,I've got a problem along with you.Seems like all cars I've had in the past thats had a hot cam has done this.So I have'nt worried about it.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Add me to that list.

I also have the ticking. Reading a few other posts people have said that it is due in part to the wilder cam.

I'd be interested in any info you get.

Rollin

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I have the 'ticking' also, much louder in the cold weather, but I really don't drive it in the cold much so maybe that's my imagination. But I do have loud ticking. I had a '99 hardtop, it had it but not nearly as loud as this '01 Z06. Have read many posts here and most point to 'injectors' or 'piston slap' due to loose tolerances. It sure does sound like an old 250 straight six I had in the 70's with no valve cover on it. I try to ignore it. The exhaust note after warming up the TI material usually makes me forget about the ticking. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've got it too.
I was told its normal and all the C5's do it, you just hear it on the Z06 because they don't have as much sound deadener as the other cars do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 01 Z ticked like my 62 fuelie with solid lifters. Maybe chevy likes the retro sound I sure as hell didn't. However my 02 so far does not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got 500 miles on my 02 and it also ticks.........my 99 conv did not tick as loud. Sounds kinda cheep,,,,,Now I really wish my exhaust was louder so I could not here the tick......Maybe c4c5expert can shed some light for all of us.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have the same problem, I've noticed this is more in when its cold. When I checked out the media clips section the owners video (I forget which one) mentioned this was a normal noise for the LS6.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
It's not a problem.. this noise has been widely reported by owners. I think its the injectors, since there shouldn't be that much valve noise from hydraulic lifters.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ticking Noise?

I have a 02 MY and I have the ticking as well. I noticed it immediately after picking up the car. It seems to quieten down a little after the car is warmed up but I can still hear it. I don't feel so bad now knowing that I am not the only one with this noise. Does anyone out there Clutch have any shake to it when you initially take off at low RPM or Reverse?????? At low RPM mine seems to have some shake but if I give it more gas it doesn't shake at all???????? Please let me know if this is normal. Z06 RULES!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Brian Anderson
2002 MY Z06
1962 Red
1964 Red
1966 Yellow
1994 Conv.BLK
2001 BMW 750IL
2001 F-350 Crew

·
Registered
288 Posts
I also hear the same noise, I was told it is an injector noise......who knows?

·
Registered
176 Posts
tick...tick...tick...tick - I thought maybe it had an analog wind up clock in the dash.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Add me to the list of tickers. I hear it on my left side but pay no attention because if you had a failing part in the valve train it would only get worse as time went on.

I've had several cars with mechanical camshafts and have had rockers come loose to the point the cyclinder was fouling out.

They get louder and louder and don't stay the same. The same would go for a poorly set hydraulic lifter, bent pushrod,bad spring,worn rocker etc.

I'd say if it doesn't get worse don't worry about it.

Your doing your car right by listening and asking questions. As you see it seems like a common mechanical engine sound.

Good question because I've wondered the same as you but concluded its just a common sound to the car and not loud enough to be a real mechanical problem because it never gets worse.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
my 02 has 1000 miles on it...and i just noticed the ticking noise yesterday(only frm the passenger side)...

my buddie has a 00 SS and has the same problem....only thing..his only does it now and then....

if anyone else knows anything...write back!: )

THNKS!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
HEY BUDDY ZORA ;)
is yours only on the passenger side also????? (really noticable when you put your ear near the front right tire :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts