Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a way to tighten the stock shift knob? Mine is a bit loose, and anytime my hand isn't on it, it rattles annoyingly.
I popped off the plastic center piece to look for a nut, but the only thing underneath is the upper part of the metal rod of the shifter. Maybe I'm being ignorant here, but how the heck am I supposed to tighten it?? :D

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
sounds like you might be missing the demon key. do you see a slot in the top of the metal shift lever that your shift knob is screwed into, if so, you are missing the piece that keeps the shift knob from rotating.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think when your saying "upper part of the metal rod of the shifter" you're actually refering to a "drift key" that anchors the shifter knob and keeps it from moving axially. As badddrx7 said, tap it down a little and be careful not to tap it too far. Later on you might want to add an aftermarket knob or shifter. There's hundreds of threads here about the horrors of getting that key out..

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If your looking to upgrade your shift knob. Someone is selling C6 shift knobs on ebay that fit C5 shifters. They just screw right on and you hand tighten it. I bought one and am extreamly pleased.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
If you insist on keeping the stock shifter and knob, do yourself a favor and cut the shaft down about 1 1/4" past the slot for the demon key and just screw your original knob on the shaft. Works great, you have a slightly shorter throw, and it doesn't feel like you're driving a John Deere anymore. :idea: :thumb:

Then, put that little bastard demon key in a slingshot and fire it off into the woods forever! :yeadog:

Bob :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah that metal rod (demon key?) looks like it'd never come out if I were to try. I'll tap it down a bit to tighten the shift knob though.
I do agree that the shifter is way too long/high... but if I cut it right below the shift knob, how would I get the knob back on? Would I have to get that demon key out first (God help me)? There are no threads to screw it onto if I cut it... forgive the ignorance, but am I overlooking something?

:cheers:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
I do agree that the shifter is way too long/high... but if I cut it right below the shift knob, how would I get the knob back on?
:cheers:
Past the slot for the key, not past where the knob is now. I haven't done it on mine yet, but I've seen some that have and it looks awsome, as well as being functionally better IMHO.

·
10,998 Posts
Get a aftermarket knob if you want to cut down the shifter then you don't have to fight wiith the demon key.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
panzer said:
Get a aftermarket knob if you want to cut down the shifter then you don't have to fight wiith the demon key.
Hey man, I've never installed an aftermarket knob... don't they have to be screwed on? If I install it on the stock unthreaded rod, how would it stay firmly in place? Is there something like 3 or 4 alan screws around the sides of the knob to tighten it onto the rod?

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
Hey man, I've never installed an aftermarket knob... don't they have to be screwed on? If I install it on the stock unthreaded rod, how would it stay firmly in place? Is there something like 3 or 4 alan screws around the sides of the knob to tighten it onto the rod?
Go to Ace Hardware and get a 9/16 x 18 die, put a towel over the shifter shaft (make hole in middle of towel to catch all the metal shavings) and continue making threads down another inch or so. Then, cut the shaft where the demon slot ends, and you have about an inch of threads for any knob you want to use. It took me about an hour taking my time, and it's a lot easier than removing the shifter and putting it back in. A neat $10.00 investment in your shifter to make it much better. :idea: PM with any other questions. Good luck.

Bob :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
1) Don't tap down the DEMON key -- it will never come out and you will have a major metal shop project. Meaning cutting up the knob and tapping out the remains of the key. It does splinter and cause a major headache. Remove all women and children from the area.
2) The stock shaft is threaded. I would remove the key now when it is easy and use teflon tape -- about 3 wraps will keep the knob in place. Wrap a screw driver with electrical tape to avoid maring the leather knob and slowly pry it up. You may want to try both sides at the same time. Wear glasses as the key does like to fly (it did nick my forehead once).
3) I would remove the shifter if your going to cut it. Not that hard, about 5 minutes for the console and another 5 for the 4 bolts that hold the shifter. If not, tape a large garbage bag around the shifter to catch all the filings.
4) There are alternative shifters like Hurst, but you will get a mechanical resonance (noise) in addition to precise shifts.

Have fun! :D

·
10,998 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
SPARCO and MOMO don't have threads and both use set screws to hold their knobs in place. MGW and Breathless knobs screw on and use set screws to hold in place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts