Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got in the z tonight and went to put the tilt wheel down and it would not budge. Can drive the car but the wheel will not come down. Very unsafe and uncomfortable.

Called road side assistance and they wanted to tow the thing to a dealer. I told the lady I could drive it to a dealer. They were not much help. She did ask if I was in a safe area though.

So, is this the column lock problem that I have read about or is this something that just happend to me. Any help with this problem would be great.

It's been a great week for my cars. Flat on the Z Monday, steering problem Sat. Electrical interior light short on Oldsmoble on Tuesday. Girlfriends Jeep had its airconditioner die on Wednesday. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It is not the column lock problem, the tilt wheel is mechanical and it soulds like the adjusting lever is where the problem is, the service manual is not much help without seeing the car, it maybe an adjustment or the lever that adjusts the wheel height may be broken, it's time to see the dealer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carl, Thanks for the info. I was able to get the leaver to work this morning. Had to pull on it until I thought it was going to break, but it let go and now works fine. I talked to my brother and he said he had the same thing happen on his Grand Am. He took it in and the mechanic just pulled on the leaver until it let loose. He has had no problems with it for over a year now. Must be just one of those things.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
HI there,
Due to the teeth design, sometimes this situation does occur, and I have had it happen several times on other c5, so do not worry, and as you use it, it will loosen up some.
Best to you, c4c5

·
Registered
0 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me about 2 weeks ago. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif I got in the car, tried to pull the wheel down...WTF is this?? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif Anyway, while driving down the road I gave it a yank and it freed up.

Kevin, what did they find out about your parking brake?? Did the cable break??

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frank HI /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif I was going to hunt you down at that seedy bar north of the airport and tell you all about my problems with the Z tomorrow. The wheel seems to be fine and the parking break still works. It does kind of scare me that these two things have happend. Other than that I love the car. Screws and supercar tires do not go together!!

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
I just found this thread after searching for "tilt steering".

I spent an hour this morning going through my shop manuals to trying to figure out WTF happened to my tilt steering and how to fix it.

After farting around and getting no where fast I did this search, found this thread, and fixed the problem in 5 seconds!!!!

This site rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :jammin:

·
Registered
415 Posts
My 01 Z used to do that on occasion. A sharp bump upwards on the wheel would free it every time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That happened to me a while back. I used my knee to push up on the wheel (foot pressing on floor board), while I pulled the lever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts