Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 19500 miles on the F1's, and now it's time for a new set.

What are the top 3 that everyone is using?

What can I get on there that is bigger than 295, but with a stock car?

Thanks everyone,

Kevin
Phoenix

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Tire choice depends on your usage. If you want to have ultimate traction, longevity, wet weather traction, etc. What are your priorities?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
nitto 555RII's. 275 front 305 rear

not as sticky as a drag radial but much much better than stock.

stiff sidewall so you can still take the car around corners at insane speeds without problems.

I've had mine for nearly a year now as a daily driver. Just don't do any burnouts and they'll last just fine.

my 60foot times with them have been .1 off from drags.

you'll love them.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
LoneRegister said:
Got 19500 miles on the F1's, and now it's time for a new set.

What are the top 3 that everyone is using?

What can I get on there that is bigger than 295, but with a stock car?

Thanks everyone,

Kevin
Phoenix
Nitto makes a 555R Drag radial and 555 RII Extreme Road Race tire in 305/35/18. Some of the guys on the site are running both type's of Nitto's with success however the mileage isn't very good if that' a concern of yours.

Michelin makes a Pilot Sport PS2 in a 315/30/18. This tire is about .6" shorter than your stock tire for the rear.

I'm kind of looking around myself. I'm sure there are more out there but these are the ones I'm looking at. Tire Rack has the Michelin's listed and another large retailer on line has the NITTO's listed.

D.J.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I went with the Toyo-T1s. Great wet weather tire. Almost went with those new Firestone Wide Ovals. Still too much negativity on the Web for me with Firestone-especially since I went through the Firestone 500 fiasco in the 70's-some of our members really like them. I was able to get the Toyo's from my Firestone Dealer for just a little bit more. Again, it will depend on your usage and size requirements. Let us know what you decide. :jammin:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm looking at a wheel and tire change and thinking about 18" fronts and 19" rears. I will probably run the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso Assimetrco tires if I do that. Otherwise I will stick with the F1s.

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
I just bought a set of the Wide Ovals, price was too good to pass up. $708 for all four, shipped. Got them from Tire Rack over on theleft. If they are not bery good, I am not out a ton of money.

They should be here Tuesday or Wednesday, and mounted by the end of the week.

Will let you know what I think after a few hundred miles...

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I just ordered a set of Nitto 555r drag radials last week as my rear F1's are toast at 12k miles. These tires are going to have to do double duty because as many of you know I'm signed up for the DE at Nashville on the 20th. The set I ordered is 305-35-18, and as far as I can tell, they use the same tread compound and tread design as the 555r2 road race version, the difference is in the sidewall, the DR's having a softer sidewall to aid in the launch. I just wonder how they are going to perform on the road course? We shall see.

Jim

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in PHoenix arizona, so rain should not be a major issue. I can drive something else should it be raining.

I am definately looking for 20k+ miles. 19.5k on my F1's and they need to be replaced.

I am looking at the Yokohama AVS Sport, and the F1, and the Michelin Pilot Sport.

Are these comparible to the Nitto's? And how long would they last?

Thanks!

·
Registered
996 Posts
LoneRegister said:
I am in PHoenix arizona, so rain should not be a major issue. I can drive something else should it be raining.

I am definately looking for 20k+ miles. 19.5k on my F1's and they need to be replaced.

I am looking at the Yokohama AVS Sport, and the F1, and the Michelin Pilot Sport.

Are these comparible to the Nitto's? And how long would they last?

Thanks!
Hello there!

Don't know about the Yokohama AVS Sport, but I had the original F1SC, then went with Pilot Sport (first gen) 315-30-18 back and 275-40-17 front. They were much better in the rain, and quieter.

I recently switched to Nitto 555R2's (305 back and 275 front) since so many people kept raving about them. Holy shoot, they hook like mofos and corner like a dream! Not saying there nothing else better, but at least that's how it feels to me, with my previous tire experience. There's no comparison whatsoever with the F1SC and MPS.

You'll hear of people getting pretty good mileage on F1's and Pilot Sports (probably equal to each other in that respect), but I'm expecting the Nitto's to go much sooner for any given person, due to the treadwear being 100 instead of 220 for the previous 2 (I believe I got those numbers right).

Geoff

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So - all in all, the pilot sports were better than the F1's and lasted comparably?

Also - you mention 315 and 275. Is that on stock rims?

Kevin

·
Registered
996 Posts
LoneRegister said:
So - all in all, the pilot sports were better than the F1's and lasted comparably?

Also - you mention 315 and 275. Is that on stock rims?

Kevin
The Pilot Sports were definitely better in the rain than the F1's (important if daily driven in the SF bay area!!!), but in the dry I'd say the F1's were marginally better.

The F1's I had came from the previous owner, so I don't know for sure if they last as much as the MPS, but their treadwear is similar if not the same, therefore they should...

Oh, and yes, all my tires have been on stock rims.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If you go the MPS route, be sure to specify that you want the MPS PS2s - latest iteration is better than the originals and notably beter than the F1s...

·
10,998 Posts
I just put on my third set of Kumhos Ecsta MX tires since I used up my OEM Goodyears.They wear as well and stick as weel as the GY's but have superior wet weather characteristics. I think they are the best buy for the money. :thumb:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Just had the Nitto 555R2's put on yesterday.

Compared to my F1's (just down to the wear bars), the difference is amazing. Where on the F1's when I stomped on it in 1st or 2nd I just spun the tires, now it just launches with little or no spin. Same on the curves, it takes much more effort to put it in "active handling" mode than on the F1's.

I'm sure in the wet it will be much different, but I don't run in the rain, unless I get caught out in it.

Steve

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Michelin Pilot sports are on my car now and I definitely find them better than the very well worn F1's.

Two sets of F1's and now michelins.

Michelins ride and handling is excellent and not as noisy if that matters to you. I'm very pleased.

Good luck

JB

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can I get verification that the Michelin PS2 Pilot Sports 275/40/17 and 315/30/18 will fit the Rims of a stock 2004 Z06 Corvette? I just want to be doubly sure before I order.

Also - what places are the best to order from?

Thanks all,

Kevin

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bump?

I just want to double check and make sure before I order.

Kevin

·
Registered
292 Posts
Jofu said:
Oh, and yes, all my tires have been on stock rims.

Don't know about the Yokohama AVS Sport, but I had the original F1SC, then went with Pilot Sport (first gen) 315-30-18 back and 275-40-17 front. They were much better in the rain, and quieter.

I recently switched to Nitto 555R2's (305 back and 275 front) since so many people kept raving about them. Holy shoot, they hook like mofos and corner like a dream! Not saying there nothing else better, but at least that's how it feels to me, with my previous tire experience. There's no comparison whatsoever with the F1SC and MPS
Geoff

Here's what you need.

·
Registered
996 Posts
LoneRegister said:
Bump?

I just want to double check and make sure before I order.

Kevin
I just checked the specs for both MPS and MPS2 on www.tirerack.com, and both a essentially identical, except that the fronts are 25.7" in diameters for MPS, whereas they are 25.6" for MPS2, and the section width is 11" for the former and 10.9" for the latter.

Rim width is the same in both cases, which is probably what you should worry about, and will fit fine on stock rims.

:cheers:
Geoff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts