Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just used up my first set of 315/35/17 Kumho V700 Victoracers. All in all I was pleased. I have the T1 CCW's that I take to the track on a trailer, so I can drive on the stock wheels/tires to and from the track.

I got 6 days out of the Victo's. 5 of those days were dry with warm/hot track - 2 at Mid-Ohio and 3 at Putnam Park. Keep in mind that I drive agressively. The wear was pretty even and I loved the grip.

Given my experience with the Victo's, how much life could I expect from the V710's? I have 4 days worth of track time ahead of me this year - 2 at Putnam Park and 2 at Barber Motorsports Park. I want to make sure I don't run out of tire at the end of day 1 at Barber.

Any other tires I should consider?

Thanks! :cheers:

·
Registered
131 Posts
So far, my experience with the V710 is similar to the Victoracer, in regards to wear. If you get a bunch of heat cycles into them without chewing them up in the first couple of heat cycles, they'll last longer than you'll want to drive on them. If you overheat them the first time out and start some unhealthy wear patterns, they'll wear out pretty quickly...if that makes sense.
It seems that all the Kumhos, if allowed to harden through heat cycling without severe overheating/usage, will be driveable longer than you would imagine, but with significantly less grip!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
IM4A2Z said:
You should consider the Pilot Sport Cup tires :yeadog:
... but much more expensive.

Kuhmos are a great value for a DOT legal tire, but if you want to go all out, get Hoosiers or some race slicks that have been heat cycled once or twice. The cycled tires can be had in the $75 range and are much stickier than any DOT legal tires, including the PSCs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
quickZ said:
... but much more expensive.

Kuhmos are a great value for a DOT legal tire, but if you want to go all out, get Hoosiers or some race slicks that have been heat cycled once or twice. The cycled tires can be had in the $75 range and are much stickier than any DOT legal tires, including the PSCs.
The Kumhos are also DOT R tires, like the Hoosiers...the main difference is the V710 has more grip and wears better.

PSC's will wear well and will be close to the Victoracer in grip, but do cost twice as much...they are better street tires, though.

Slicks have their own set of challenges and compromises and won't last anywhere near as long as the Kumhos.

·
Registered
103 Posts
IndyDave said:
Hey guys,

I just used up my first set of 315/35/17 Kumho V700 Victoracers. All in all I was pleased. I have the T1 CCW's that I take to the track on a trailer, so I can drive on the stock wheels/tires to and from the track.

Any other tires I should consider?

Thanks! :cheers:
The question you need to ask yourself is ... what is more important to you - ultimate grip or tire longevity? You've got a good compromise of both in the Kumho Victoracer. On one side of the DOT-R tires, you have tires like the Kumho V710 or the Hoosier R3S05's which will be many times more grippy, but won't last quite as long. On the other side, you have tires like the Toyo RA1's or the Michelin PSC's which wear like rocks, but won't be nearly as fast as the grippier tires.

So, what's yer wallet telling you? ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set of Kumho 710's. They are great tires with tons of grip (while they still have life). I've had a set last 9 weekends and that includes 2 weekends on Roebling Road and then I fanally corded a tire. In my experience with the 710's, you will still have tread left after a bunch of events, but the heat cyles have been used up and the grip goes away. On the later weekends the tires would have 2 or 3 good laps left in them and you have to be judicious when you use those laps.

Even in their worst state, though, they're still better than any street tire you can get.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How about another set. Got a set of Victo's that we were gong to use as rains. They only have one session on them with 4 laps in the rain. 250.00 for all four 315's shippng.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Dave,
I've seen guys get about 16 heat cycles out of the V710, which is roughly four DE days. I personally can't tell much difference in wear between the V710 and any of the other DOT tires I have run (Goodyear GS-CS, Hoosier R3203/4, Kumho Victoracer), but I haven't done a detailed analysis either. For the price, I don't think you can go wrong with the V710s, but as was mentioned above, there are others such as the Toyo RA-1s that may last longer.

For the Kumho V710, I've been told they last longest if the first session is about 6-7 laps, gradually building up in speed, with the last lap or two being flying laps, followed by a cooldown of a day... which is tough to manage if you only have one set of wheels. If you get them heat cycled from Tirerack, that is probably a decent compromise. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If you are just doing DE's and on't have to worry about rules and also tow your extra tires to the track I would do the cheapest thing possible.
Buy used slicks. For $75 a piece in most cases or cheaper you can get a whole weekend or two out of them.
Look in the back of GRM or sportscar.
This is why you see tons of guys running used michelin slicks. Take them right off the viper from the VRL leagues. They maybe have two sessions on them and then they get rid of them.

If I towed and wasn't racing in a class that is what I would do.

Otherwise Toyo RA1's are cheap and they last forever. Not as quick but again for the price (they are cheap) you can't go wrong with how long they last (5-8 weekends usually for American Iron cars)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I sell my used V710s (normally 3-5 cycles on them) for $50-75 and they will easily last 2 more full weekends. The V710 is fabulous!!!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NJCRUISER said:
How about another set. Got a set of Victo's that we were gong to use as rains. They only have one session on them with 4 laps in the rain. 250.00 for all four 315's shippng.
Are they shaved? I'm guessing you ran them without having them shaved, since you said they were to be a dedicated track tire.

As I understand it, no one will shave tires that have touched the road (wet or dry) for fear of something in the tread ruining the cutting blade.

I have read that un-shaved Victo's on a Z06 would equal "chunking" of the tread under dry track conditions.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wtknght1 said:
I sell my used V710s (normally 3-5 cycles on them) for $50-75 and they will easily last 2 more full weekends. The V710 is fabulous!!!!!
Do you have any to sell?

After reading all these replies and thinking about it, I really want to try some used V710's.

·
Registered
79 Posts
These are not shaved tires as we had planned to use them as light rain tires. During a wet qualifier after 3 or 4 laps at Summit point going fairly slow because the tires were not holding, I came into pit. That's the last time that I used them (April 05).So they are still like new. Bought dedicated Hoosier rains since. If you want them they are at Phoenix Perf. in Palm, PA. I would take 225.00 plus shipping.
One of my first sets of track tires a few years ago were unshaven victo's and they didn't chunk. I haven't heard that one before. Then again I'm light years faster now.(Never fast enough though :bmad: )
I also have Hoosier A3S05's with 4 heat cycles for 50.00 each. Buy American! A certain Major ought to be ashamed of himself! :lol: :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts