Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing the Rollmaster 1160 timing chain kit tomorrow .I'm still running the stock cam my question is should I advance the cam 2degress or put it back straight up ??? Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would put it straight up. You can always advance the timing with some tuning software after. If you are planning a cam install in the future, you would be best to know exactly where you are in relation to valve and piston clearence from the start with a higher lift. Others may have a different opinion, but I like to know exactly what is going on from the start in relation to critical clearences.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Todd, I thinking about what you said. I don't believe that is exactly correct. Cam timing and ignition timing are two different things. Hopefully some will step in and straighten me out. :cheers:

·
Registered
59 Posts
IT L GO said:
Todd, I thinking about what you said. I don't believe that is exactly correct. Cam timing and ignition timing are two different things. Hopefully some will step in and straighten me out. :cheers:

Using cam sensor phasing you will be able to advance or retard the cam +/-1 degree using the software. I would also throw some ignition timing in there, to ensure that you trigger at the right moment seeing you mentioned it lol. I would be very careful manually advancing or retarding a cam without using a degree wheel, especially on a stock cam given the loss of either low end, or high end power. Like I said above, If it were me, I would go straight up dot to dot until I swapped out the cam for a higher lift cam just to know where I was in relation to TDC #1 and valve to piston clearence.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Thanks Todd, Very :coo:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts