Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. Im in the process of changing the springs, lifters, and pushrods in my Z due to the common tick noise, mine is really quite loud. I have 50000 miles on the car and am curious as to the strength and longevity of the timing chain. I have heard of them breaking from repeated high rpm (7000) abuse, I dont even hit the rev limiter. So would it be worth the extra maintenance to change the T chain? thanks

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
If you changing that much why not spend the extra few $$$ and upgrade the chain & sprockets?

Here is my original & the Dual upgrade I did when I changed cam/lifters/pushrods/etc.

George

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
roadrash9r said:
Hey all. Im in the process of changing the springs, lifters, and pushrods in my Z due to the common tick noise, mine is really quite loud. I have 50000 miles on the car and am curious as to the strength and longevity of the timing chain. I have heard of them breaking from repeated high rpm (7000) abuse, I dont even hit the rev limiter. So would it be worth the extra maintenance to change the T chain? thanks
If the motor is apart, I highly recommend replacing the chain with either a heavy duty chain with dampner, or even better, the double chain shown above. :cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dosent the double roller require a crank spacer and oil pump spacers? Sub driver since you run in scca you have to run the stock timing chain correct?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
roadrash9r said:
Sub driver since you run in scca you have to run the stock timing chain correct?
Correct. In SCCA T1 class we have to use stock parts unless a specific exclusion exists in the rules such as we have for wheels, oil cooler, brake ducts, etc. There is no exclusion for timing chain. However, backdating is allowed, so using an 04 part on my 02 Z06 is legal. I now have an 04 crate motor in my car so I'm hoping I do have a heavier duty timing chain and the dampner that sits in the V of the timing chain. :cheers:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Subdriver said:
If the motor is apart, I highly recommend replacing the chain with either a heavy duty chain with dampner, or even better, the double chain shown above. :cheers:

I concour :yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a bunch for the help. I will be replacing the cam now to so I will be getting the slp double roller the slp ported oil pump, and the comp 275 high lift.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I couldn't believe how cheap the stock timing chain is! :mah: Replaced it with a Thunder Racing dual roller when adding the cam and upgraded valve train goodies. :yeadog:

Bob :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts