Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on another forum........and it was related to '02's.....
A metal to metal type sound, akin to engine noise.....
Since I don't/didn't HAVE an '02, I just read by it........
Well, today, I was doing some more near redline run outs, and I switched the '06 to "Competitive ", mode............
After a couple of 1-4 runs.........I heard this Tink, Tink, Tink sound.......
Never heard it before.....thought uh-oh......so I flipped back to regular mode and started toward home, checking gauges all the while.
Found a place to pull in, and checked out the engine bay......Nada......
Sounded fine, so I took it to the road again, and started playing with it...it seemed to ONLY do this when in 6th gear......
Also, seemed to be driveline related..........
Anyone else seen/had/heard this anomaly?????:-?

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
When metal gets really hot then begins to cool, it often makes a tink sound.......could this have been the problem?

JC

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
N4

No, this noise was happening at 70 mph........
Sounds like the old style exhaust manifold flappers.......

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Was it only after having been in competitive mode ? Once you shut down for the night, and drive normally (non-competitive or hard runs) the next time, does it occur again ?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manatee

No, it stopped after I switched out, and cruised a while.......
BUT, it is NOT related to HEAT........it is definititely IN the driveline (sounds more towards rear)............
I ran it in the Traction Control OFF mode........and NO problems.......
@ approx 6200-6300rpm's........several 1/4 sequences........and it doesn't do it.....temp was only around 78 degrees, and the tstat never got to 220.............
Find it strange that it started in the comp mode............first and only time EVER in that mode, and a strange occurence.........other guys were complaining of the same scenario...........but, I can't find the thread to see if anyone had an answer........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts