Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Tinted Clear coat?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  rwd 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. My red Z06 just recently got a complete repaint under an insurance claim. I was a bit suprised when I went to use some swirl and scratch remover and noticed the pad was red. I always thought this meant a paint without a clear coat was used. The body shop claims that they used a red tinted clear coat and that is why I'm getting the red transfered to the pad. My initial thought is that this is BS, so I've called my insurance company and they will be sending an ajuster out to take a look. Any one have experiance with this so called tinted clear coat? Will the adjuster or another body shop be able to look at the paint and notice, or test in some way, if there is actually a clear coat on the car?

Thanks,

#2 ·
turt1e said:
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. My red Z06 just recently got a complete repaint under an insurance claim. I was a bit suprised when I went to use some swirl and scratch remover and noticed the pad was red. I always thought this meant a paint without a clear coat was used. The body shop claims that they used a red tinted clear coat and that is why I'm getting the red transfered to the pad. My initial thought is that this is BS, so I've called my insurance company and they will be sending an ajuster out to take a look. Any one have experiance with this so called tinted clear coat? Will the adjuster or another body shop be able to look at the paint and notice, or test in some way, if there is actually a clear coat on the car?

Thanks,
The clear coat used on yellow C5's is tinted

#3 ·
Z11409 said:
The clear coat used on yellow C5's is tinted
The M yellow that you have on your car is a three stage paint job I believe. I think the Red is a base coat clear coat finish. Some custom finisher's use a pearl base, candy med coat and then apply a clear. Gives a nice finish that almost glows.

Two more cents

D.J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.