Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to need a new set of tires soon for the 02 Z06. It's got GY supercar tires on it now, the stock ones.

Those are around $300 a wheel to replace. I think that's alot of money.

I will be tracking the car at least a few times this next year, and don't have a set of race wheels/tires to use.

My question is: If you had to run one set of tires for day-to-day and track (say, 6-7 times a year to the track) what would you run? Would it be less than $300/wheel?

Thanks.

--Yak

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
i spoke to jon at CCW ..he is very knowledgable..

he told me that the Nitto555R is a track tire that is streetable.. should get about 8k miles out of a set..

something like the Michelin PS2 is a Street tire that is trackable.. should get 12-15k miles. out of them..

i thought that was good advice..
there are lots of good tires out there.. i too am in the market , and have been asking a lot of Q's to our z brothers and sis's

i am down to
Michelin PS2
Nitto555R
BFGGforceKDW.. only come in smaller sizes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Forgot to mention: I'm in Texas. Not too wet here, but I want no worse performance in the wet than the GY rubber gives. Wet tracks, it is said, are great teachers. Heh.
--Yak

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
toyo proxys are nice too

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The F1SC tires are one of the best tires for day to day and ocassional road course events. Have you looked at other tires? Most are in the similar price range, give or take about $25 to $50 per tire. Personally I don't understand how one can consider cheaper inferior tires when you are putting them on a $30K to $50K car, especially if you are wanting performance for the road course.

The only choice that I would consider over the F1SC tires would be to spend a little more money and go with the Toyo RA1. It is a very good tire for the track and probably will be fine for what little rain Austin gets.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have not tried them on the road track, but the Firestone wide ovals work great on my 01. I drive the car everyday and also run on the drag strip. For the strip they work great and are not priced to bad. I spent 700 for all 4 tires. With these tires I managed to cut 1.9 60 foots not bad for my 4 time to the track with the car.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I vote for:

Nitto 555 RIIs (don't last long, but they stick)
or
Michelin PS2s (last a little longer, but not as soft as above)

Alex

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I just put a set of Toyo RA1s on yesterday. They are nice and sticky, plus the car responds better now. Lets see what kind of wear I get.

After 5 years on the F1SCs, I'm not that impressed. They pretty sticky, and don't wear all that well.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
I am not one for Tire advice, but...Just wanted to comment on your forum name....YAKISOBA.....

Isn't that a cheaply made military food they slop down on ya in the field? Hahahahaha....

I KNOW!!!!

I am military!

Hahahahahahahahaha

Ok, so who is going to scoop up the name "Chili MAC"? hahahahahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I prefer round and black tires. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tire rack has the Michelins, and the GY F1s too. Thanks for the advice, esp. Pintaric there. Round and black... check!

Who sells the Nitto rubber? Any good distributers, or straight from the source?

--Yak

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
I just put the Wide Ovals on the Z, have about 2800 miles on them and a DE at Nashville during the Fest. This is a great tire, at an astounding intorductory price.

Although the tires are not as sticky as the F1SC tires they are very trackable, they provided very good traction in Nashville. I am sure the Nittos provide even better grip, but if you are going to be putting a new set on in 8k miles what is the point.

Now I drive my car 20 to 25K a year, so treadlife is important to me on my daily driver. More data on this tire here:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84378

Mark

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey Yakisoba,

My vote is for Nitto 555R2's the 555R is a drag tire and has softer sidewalls.

I'm running 555R2's on 18" font and rear CCW Classics and just love the grip.

The Toyo RA-1's are another good choice but would need to be shaved or worn down a few 32nds to match the Nittos dry grip (but their supposed to be better in the wet).

I've run my Nittos in rain and standing water and think they are pretty good up to the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Arnold -

The Toyo RA1 and the Nitto 555R2 are very closely related. I went with the RA1 to get the extra 1/8" of tread depth.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Yakisoba said:
Tire rack has the Michelins, and the GY F1s too. Thanks for the advice, esp. Pintaric there. Round and black... check!

Who sells the Nitto rubber? Any good distributers, or straight from the source?

--Yak
www.discounttiredirect.com is where you can order them. Have the RII on the rear and they are good and not a bad ride for everyday. They are about three bills each and I had mine shipped free and no state sales tax.

D.J.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I picked up my RA1s for $1006 shipped from frisby race tire. Then another $100 for mounting over at Xtreme.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm surprised no one jumped in yet with Kumho Ecsta MX's. I put a set on about 10k miles ago. I have done 4 DE's(one of them a 3 day event and on another I had 6 hours of track time over two days)

they still have way more than 50% of the tread left. They heat up quickly on the track, and grip for about as long as the F1 SC's on the track in my experience.

They have a way-cool tread design as well. I paid $1050 out the door from Discount Tire.

fortunately, I just picked up a set of OEM Z06 speedline wheels and will be putting the Nitto RII's on to use just for the track, but for a single, all around tire for less than the $1200 a set you are looking for, take a look at the Kumho's.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Nitto RIIs. Killer grip at 1K a set.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yakisoba said:
My question is: If you had to run one set of tires for day-to-day and track (say, 6-7 times a year to the track) what would you run? Would it be less than $300/wheel?
Let's say you buy that brand new set of tires and then run them at the track. The bottom line, you're going to burn them up and will have to buy ANOTHER set, pronto.

So instead of burning up street-rubber on the track, burn up track-rubber and save the streets for the street. You can buy good used track-rubber for about $320 a set.

Of course you'll need to find some used rims to put them on, but in the end, you'll be ahead performance-wise, and cash spent. No matter how you look at it, tracking a car is expensive.

·
Registered
629 Posts
wvphoto said:
i spoke to jon at CCW ..he is very knowledgable..

he told me that the Nitto555R is a track tire that is streetable.. should get about 8k miles out of a set..

something like the Michelin PS2 is a Street tire that is trackable.. should get 12-15k miles. out of them..

i thought that was good advice..
there are lots of good tires out there.. i too am in the market , and have been asking a lot of Q's to our z brothers and sis's

i am down to
Michelin PS2
Nitto555R
BFGGforceKDW.. only come in smaller sizes.
Holy crap! I just realized tires for the Z06 will cost a bunch more than I spend on my bike tires. On the bike I pay $300 for a set of Michelin DOT race tires, one track day and about 2-3,000 street miles before they're completely hammered. At least the rear tire is always still like new in the middle so I can do some great rolling burnouts right before I put on new tires.

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get four trackdays and 8-12,000 street miles out any brand of tires for $1,100-$1,400. Unless I drive a lot slower than I ride, and I don't think I do.

Ouch!

I guess 6 times the weight really takes it's toll on the rubber. :(

Dog

1 - 20 of 22 Posts