Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I looked at my front tires and the inside of my f1's are showing threads...I figure it's time to get new tires.

I already know I'm going with 555R2's in the rear but I can't decide what to put on the front...I know it's not good to mix compounds but I want something that will somewhat last for a while on the front and something that will stick hard in the rear. I also don’t drive this car in the rain.

I don't road race my car or corner it too hard...but I do love to launch it...problem is, these f1's are lighting up even in 4th gear.

I was considering (for the fronts) in no particular order

-BF Goodrich G-force TA KD or maybe KDW

-Nitto 555's

-Kumho ECSTA MX

What should I choose? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I use Nitto 555's in front and the RII's in the rear. Similar looking tread pattern and the RII's give you some good grip in back. I just didnt want to spend $1000 every time I need new tires and the 555's should last years since I dont have any oppertunities to road race.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I'd put Nitto 555's on also :idea:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can the 555's be switched between the fronts when the insides start to wear or is there a right and left tire?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
they can be switched. You'd just have to remount them. You must have alot of neg camber in front.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
UstaB-GS549 said:
Do the right thing. Go with the BFG KD all around.

Japanese tires on a Chevy?
why not? The C6R is using french tires. :screwy:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
While I like the BF good rich KD and KDW there are 2 problems with them. The KD is a right and Left tire so I wouldn't be able to swap the fronts like I would with any of the other tires. The KDW in the size that I want (275/40/17 fronts) doesn't come in the new tread design, which is the only KDW I wanted. I feel that I would still have some traction problems with anything but a drag radial in the rear and I am not at all impressed with the BF Goodrich drag radial....My buddies '01 supercharged Camaro would spin the tires all over the place and his car not only weighs more than mine but was making the same amount of power. The 555R2's are the only tire I'm going to put on the rear of my car. After talking with a guy from discount tire (who road races) said that the better between the 555's and the Kumho's for the front, he suggested the Kumho's hands down. I can also swap those tires from right to left seeing as they are only directional and not a right and left tire. I don't like having to use 2 different brands of tire on the car but the best front tire for what I'm looking for is the kumho. Its compound is the closest of all the tires to the 555R2's in the rear. I'm also going to check out the toyo's but I'm probably going to go with the kumho/555r2 setup. All tires will be heat cycled before installation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Firehawk wide ovals are some nice tires and the price is not bad on them. I just put them on all corner of my Z06 and am pleased with the results on the street and at the drag strip. I am waiting to check them out on a road course.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Sigforty said:
The Firehawk wide ovals are some nice tires and the price is not bad on them. I just put them on all corner of my Z06 and am pleased with the results on the street and at the drag strip. I am waiting to check them out on a road course.
Sigforty, how is the traction issue in 1st & 2nd on the street vs. the F1's that suck? Thanks.

Bob :cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am pretty happy with it. The car does not seem to spin as much. The tires are definitely sticky compared to the F1s. When I spin them a little to heat them up everything will stick to them. I have had to pull cigerette butts off the tires.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Vette1171

I believe Wes (WA2FST) runs Nitto 555 in front and the 555 R (DR, I think) in the rear. I know he's posted that this setup works well for him.

Zrod

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Zrod said:
Vette1171

I believe Wes (WA2FST) runs Nitto 555 in front and the 555 R (DR, I think) in the rear. I know he's posted that this setup works well for him.

Zrod
the only thing that made me consider the kumho's on the front is that I heard they are a more advanced/aggressive tire than the 555's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts