Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking forward to using my car for a couple of road trips this year, but am apprehensive because of the chance of getting a flat. So here are my questions. I have read that some people have purchased a tire repair kit, that you can plug a hole with (I know this is only temporary, and the tire will need to be patched and balanced). Can this be done while the tire is still on the car? When plugged, I suppose you inflate it with the pump that came with the car? If this type of method is used, would it be prudent to get the tire pressure monitors and have the computer enabled for this since I would not be using the fix-it goo? Thanks, this site is a wealth of info and a great group of people.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have plugged tires at the track several times. It's easier with the tire off the car. The last one was a 12mm hex bolt. I had to use a ratchet to unscrew it from the tire. The plug worked fine and is still in tire. It has seen 140+ at Road America since. No balance problems as the weight is insignificant.

Its best if the tire is dry and not wet. Wet tires, when plugged, have a tendency to be slow leaker's after. They are easy to pull out if you want to patch from the inside later.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I never plugged a tire before this past year...

Luckily I had the 2 dollar plug kit from K mart or one of those other discount stores..

Has a long screw driver type tool and some black strings of some kind of sh!t..

and I had a 20 dollar cigarette lighter air pump...

All I did was pull over..realize I had a flat..said Oh Sh!t and plugged in the air pump...filled the tire with air....and because the hole in the tire was huge..it wouldn't hold any air..

So I marked the hole as the air gushed out...(carry white out if you can...as it markes the tire nicely..) I just had it in the car...LOL

Anyways..follow the directions on the plug kit...basically sticking the black string through the hole at the end of the screw driver...pull it halfway through so you have equal amounts on both sides...

Shove it in the hole...twist it around if I remember correctly and pull it out..

It took me longer to type this than to actually make the repair...

Then when you get a chance. Have a qualified tire technician..pull the tire..put a patch inside and then your good as new...

The plug you put on the side of the road will outlast the tire but for a high performance application its best to have a properly installed patch when you can so you can keep the high speed rating of the tire..

Hope this helps and you enjoy your trip...

Don't worry about flats and keep a cell phone available as a back up.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Chas said:
I am looking forward to using my car for a couple of road trips this year, but am apprehensive because of the chance of getting a flat. So here are my questions. I have read that some people have purchased a tire repair kit, that you can plug a hole with (I know this is only temporary, and the tire will need to be patched and balanced). Can this be done while the tire is still on the car? When plugged, I suppose you inflate it with the pump that came with the car? If this type of method is used, would it be prudent to get the tire pressure monitors and have the computer enabled for this since I would not be using the fix-it goo? Thanks, this site is a wealth of info and a great group of people.
Chas,
To answer your questions, Yes you can plug the tire with the tire on the car providing you can get to the object that is in the tire. Z06's are rather low, as you know. You have a better chance getting to it if your flat is on the rear. If you have a flat on the front and cant reach the puncture, your best bet is to also carry a small jack so you can remove the wheel and plug it. Yes, you would use the compressor that came with your car to re-inflate. As far as the pressure sensors, I say it's a very good idea to get them and have GM or someone you know who can program the computer to read them. This way, you know when you are low on air on any tire and you can find a place to pull over. They are a good investment. I have never used the fix-it-goo so I cant comment on that. Hope that helps :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
take along a pair of needle nose pliars.. to pull nail.. some tools.. ratchet ..etc.. as descibed above..
the plug kit works easy..
will get you where you are going..
unless you blow out a sidewall..
LOL

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Have the cheap plug kit in the trunk i bought at Walmart, hope i never have to use it, fingers crossed.

Jack

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The plug kit is a good idea.

Alex

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
I never plugged a tire before this past year...

Luckily I had the 2 dollar plug kit from K mart or one of those other discount stores..

I recommend buying the deluxe 8.00 kit. That has a wider variety of supplies.

Bottom line - don't leave home without it. I have ended up plugging a tire once to get home and a couple of other unprepared Z owner's.

Having done many of these on my SUV's and trucks over the years. I don't even take the tire off the vehicle anymore.

·
Registered
391 Posts
tire plug essay

there is a great instr on using the tire plug kit, from the other forum, some Z06er published the link some time ago. It has extensive instr and helpful tips, like, carry a tarp and flashlight. The tire sensors suggested are a great idea, so you can have some ttime to pull to a safe place. Will try to find that longer instr, cuz it is complete. Anybody else remember it?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Chas said:
Try this http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78517

1 - 10 of 10 Posts