Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight will be my first run at the track with my BFG Drag Radials. Can somebody who has run these tires extensively tell me what tire pressure would work best for launch?

I have the 315/35-17 tires on 17X11 CCWs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
yea, test between 18-12psi, some people work better with a good burnout but I only seem to do good with a short clean sweep :-? thats a good thing I guess, motor cooler and less tire wear :jammin:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys: Regarding those burnouts - I haven't done one. Any advice on getting started?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Since you're a newb, do this in first gear...

- pull around the water box
- back into it, just get the tires a little wet. You don't want to fling water all over your wheelwells
- pull out of the box
- car in first, clutch in, bring the revs up
- drop the clutch and move your left foot to the brake pedal
- apply just enough brake pressure to keep your car from moving (or moving quickly if it's your first time)
- sit and smoke
- you will know the tires are getting hot as the traction drags your revs down. When this happens, roll out. The tires are ready.

It helps if you try this on your stock tires in the rain first, IMO. Doing it on sticky tires at the track is asking for the possibility of an embarrassing stall or worse yet, smoking your clutch on your burnout.

Good luck!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Wayne: I'm gonna go without burnouts tonight and take your advice on practicing in the rain on my street tires first to get it down. Too much adrenaline flowing at the track to try to get this right the first time. Or, I will try it at the next Test&Tune. Appreciate the advice! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
RalphP said:
Thanks Wayne: I'm gonna go without burnouts tonight and take your advice on practicing in the rain on my street tires first to get it down. Too much adrenaline flowing at the track to try to get this right the first time. Or, I will try it at the next Test&Tune. Appreciate the advice! :cheers:

without a burnout you'll do better then over heating them due to the fact that when you overheat them as you launch it doesnt get any cooler ofcourse, if you have the right psi and the tires are dry, launch from 3500 rpm and by the time you are half way into 1st they will be hot enough for traction :jammin: actually as long as DRs are on a roll and hooked they wont loose traction at all :sneaky:

I tell you what, go around the water box and launch it like you would be launch hard just for fun, they will get hot enough and you'll be ready to rip it :cheers:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
COUTO1981 said:
without a burnout you'll do better then over heating them due to the fact that when you overheat them as you launch it doesnt get any cooler ofcourse, if you have the right psi and the tires are dry, launch from 3500 rpm and by the time you are half way into 1st they will be hot enough for traction :jammin: actually as long as DRs are on a roll and hooked they wont loose traction at all :sneaky:

I tell you what, go around the water box and launch it like you would be launch hard just for fun, they will get hot enough and you'll be ready to rip it :cheers:
Thanks! So are you saying to go ahead and spin them a little when it is time to move from the position next to the water box up to the staging lights?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
RalphP said:
Thanks! So are you saying to go ahead and spin them a little when it is time to move from the position next to the water box up to the staging lights?

yea thats what I was saying, it would pretty much be a burnout, but if it will make you nervous dont worry about it, drive around the water box, I just figured you would be moving the car to get to the staging lanes might as well floor it and that would almost complete a burnout, but air pressure is more important in my opinion, in this weather at least :thumb:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
wait a minute Ralph, I just noticed your sig, 440rwhp and 3.90 gears :jawdrop: , yea!!!! you eventually going to need a burnout to get some better times, launch at 3500rpm the first time and dont get throddle happy, take Rmps all the way up and dont power shift the first time out only if you already got it down packed on the street, you'll see a low 12 at around 122mph :thumb:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:lol: Hahahahahaha

I sure appreciate your enthusiasm, but Bandimere speedway is at 6000 feet elevation. The numbers in my sig are corrected for sea level so I am lucky to be putting down about 375 in reality. My best so far with stock gears and tires and a 2.1s 60 ft time was a 13.40 @ 109. I am hoping to break into the 12s tonight though. :cheers:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WayneE said:
So how'd you do, Ralph?!
WEEEELLL, OK considering everything.

I managed three practice runs even though two are allowed.

First run I forgot to drop the tire pressure so forget that one - spun like butter.

Second run tire pressure down, 3K launch, bogged a little, bounced off rev limiter due to getting used to 3.90s - forget that one too!

Third run, began to get it down, ran a 13.4 @107.9 with a 2.06 60ft

First comp run, dialed a 13.5 and planned to sandbag a bit if needed. Got passed by a 11 sec '60s Mopar , launched around 4K, ran 13.315 @ 108 with a 2.03 60ft, but he red-lighted.

Last comp run, dialed 13.3 launched 4500, ran 13.24 at 108.1 with a 1.97 60 ft and had a grin on my face because that run felt good - like I am starting to get it. Never mind that the fricken Kawasaki dialed 11.71 and ran 11.710 !! :mah:

Haven't got the two-foot burn-ins down yet. ALSO, haven't dropped the clutch, more of a smooth release.

Anyway, had a blast and I feel like I will get consistent once I figure the best launch. I made a ton of progress skill-wise in one night. I will do a couple of test and tunes before the next meet to work out the burn-ins, work on launch and try power shifting. I should break into the 12s. Then I will just have fun and see how consistent I can be.

Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement. This is really fun!!! :yeadog:

·
Registered
11 Posts
keep us updated....... Im curious if you get into the 12s my best run is a 13.1 in Alb,NM about 5500 ft elevation... stock tires. Im hoping to get into the 12s with my drs.... nice to hear that you already droped your time already..... :cheers:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
blackflash02 said:
keep us updated....... Im curious if you get into the 12s my best run is a 13.1 in Alb,NM about 5500 ft elevation... stock tires. Im hoping to get into the 12s with my drs.... nice to hear that you already droped your time already..... :cheers:
Altitude is a killer. But if you ran 13.1 on stock tires then you will be in the 12s with DRs. They make a real difference. I presume your car is not stock?? Stock Zs run about 14 at Bandimere.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys: I was back at Bandimere last night. My best was a 13-flat with a 1.88 60 foot time. The rest of the runs were 13.1s with 2 sec 60 ft. My trap speeds are consistent at 109. I am launching at about 4K with a clutch release, not a drop, but I am still getting too much wheel spin off the line - with the BFG DRs at 18.5 lbs. Any advice on launch technique would be welcome.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
RalphP said:
Guys: I was back at Bandimere last night. My best was a 13-flat with a 1.88 60 foot time. The rest of the runs were 13.1s with 2 sec 60 ft. My trap speeds are consistent at 109. I am launching at about 4K with a clutch release, not a drop, but I am still getting too much wheel spin off the line - with the BFG DRs at 18.5 lbs. Any advice on launch technique would be welcome.

I'll give you advise on launch technique, get a Mustang :lol: :lol: , Take the psi down to 14 or even 12, hold it at 4000rpms steady and gently let out the clutch, when you feel traction and only when, step on it :jammin: but Im not one to talk, I havent got my launches down right yet, my Mustang was a dream launching :jammin:

say, did you keep your stock Tis? if yes, how does it sound versus stock with the cam and headers?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
COUTO1981 said:
I'll give you advise on launch technique, get a Mustang :lol: :lol: , Take the psi down to 14 or even 12, hold it at 4000rpms steady and gently let out the clutch, when you feel traction and only when, step on it :jammin: but Im not one to talk, I havent got my launches down right yet, my Mustang was a dream launching :jammin:

say, did you keep your stock Tis? if yes, how does it sound versus stock with the cam and headers?
HAHA: OK, I am gonna sell this POS and get a Stang!

I'll try your advice, thanks!

I still have the stock Tis. They sound raspy and high pitched and great with the H/C and headers. But, alas, they are a bit of an embarrassment at the strip - a little too quiet. I am going to get someting else for the strip.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
RalphP said:
Tonight will be my first run at the track with my BFG Drag Radials. Can somebody who has run these tires extensively tell me what tire pressure would work best for launch?

I have the 315/35-17 tires on 17X11 CCWs.

Thanks!
Ralph, I have a very similar setup to you. With 3.90 gears and 395rwhp I ran the EXACT same tires and rims. You need a full burnout.
I ran 15-16 psi with those exact tires. Best 60' was 1.50.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
robz said:
Ralph, I have a very similar setup to you. With 3.90 gears and 395rwhp I ran the EXACT same tires and rims. You need a full burnout.
I ran 15-16 psi with those exact tires. Best 60' was 1.50.
see Ralph, I told you, I can only manage 1.8x out of my 315s so far, listen to Robz, hes getting 1.50 60ft :jawdrop:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts