Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am continuing my earlier threads on tires and wheels with the outcome of my research on tire availability for certain wheel sizes. I only looked at tires that I can drive to the track on. As DJ has stated previously, I know that there are some disadvantages and costs related to this, but I do not have the ability to to transport and change tires at the track.

Your continued support (some of you are probably tired of me), and as always your thoughtful comments, would be appreciated.

Wheels 17 x 10 (front) and 17 X11 (rear)

Kumho 700 Victoracers $760

- 275/40/17 (front)
- 315/35/17 (rear)

A lot of people say that the Kumhos are great DE tires and a extremely good value at the price. I also understand that the Kumhos may become available in18" sizes.

BFG g Force T/A / KD $942

- 275/40/17 (front)
- 315/30/17

I have heard a few good things about the BFGs, but not as much as some of the other tires. This may be because the BFGs are a newer tire.

Wheels: 18 x 10 (front) and 18 x 11 (rear)

Nitto RII $1,200

- 285/30/18 (front)
- 315/30/18 (front)

Michelin Pilot Sport Cups $1,300

- 295/30/18 (front)
- 315/30/18 (front)

BFG g force T/A / KD $1,050

- 275/40/18 (front)
- 295/35/18 (back)

There seem to be a few more choices for 18" tires, but they are more expensive. The Pilot Sport Cups are known to have a good tread life and many club racers use them. Many on this forum have said good things about the Nittos.

Stock Wheel Sizes

Nitto RIIs $914

- 275/40/17 (front)
- 305/35/18 (rear)

Toyo RA1 $1,358 (the rear tires are very expensive $435)

- 275/40/17 (front)
- 305/35/18 (rear)

The tires will be strictly used for DEs on CCW wheels. I will keep my stock wheels and F1s for street driving. I like the 17" solution because of the low prices, but I would expect that more 18" tires will become available in the future. If I buy 17" wheels now because the Kumhos are a good tire, will I later wish that I bought 18" wheels? What combination would you choose?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If you are going to drive to event I got some great advice from someone who could have sold me something. he said buy something that mounts on stock tires and save the money until you have a trailer then get the rims and full race rubber.
I agree (although it took me alot of self awareness and getting over denial of wanting new rims not my stock rims).

So that cuts your choices dramatically. After I did a ton of research it all came down to either Nitto R2 or Toyo RA1. Interesting thing is they are the same tire just different tread design.
I went with Toyo because of my American Iron experience with them as well as the world challenge history ,etc.. That should mean more information available as well as folks no how to make that tire work.
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
By the way your Toyo prices are wrong.
More like $940 unshaved.

Forgot you also pick up more footprint in front and rear. About 1 inch in rear and a few tenths in front.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silver Bullet said:
By the way your Toyo prices are wrong.
More like $940 unshaved.

Forgot you also pick up more footprint in front and rear. About 1 inch in rear and a few tenths in front.
I got Toyo RA1 prices from two sources. I am not clear on why you have come up with a much lower price than me. Could you PM me on where you got these prices?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I get my Toyo's through Vilven Tire in Royal, IL. I'm on my 3rd or 4th set. I would highly recommend them and their prices are very competitive. Give Bob a call at Vilven Tire.

·
Banned
809 Posts
One thing that you're not considering is buying used race tires. If you buy a popular size, you can buy some slightly used race tires with a few heat cycles in them for a good price.

Sal

·
Registered
355 Posts
I am also considering RA1's as everyday street tires. I've heard that they'll wear better than the F1's. I got the following prices last week from the vendor mentioned in an earlier post on this thread - I'm considering them for stock rims:

$260 275/40/17
$299 305/35/18
Shipping is $68 for the set.

·
Registered
644 Posts
WhosUrDaddy said:
I am also considering RA1's as everyday street tires. I've heard that they'll wear better than the F1's. I got the following prices last week from the vendor mentioned in an earlier post on this thread - I'm considering them for stock rims:

$260 275/40/17
$299 305/35/18
Shipping is $68 for the set.

see link i posted above 299 for rear and 170 for fronts

·
Banned
809 Posts
How do the RA1's compare to the Nitto 555R2's?

Sal

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Appalchian Tire and Frisby are all around $170 front and $300 rear.
Thus the $940.
Great tire and will last fiarly long. Most NASA racers who must run these as spec tires last almost a whole season on one set max two.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
Appalchian Tire and Frisby are all around $170 front and $300 rear.
Thus the $940.
Great tire and will last fiarly long. Most NASA racers who must run these as spec tires last almost a whole season on one set max two.
Interesting. Can they be driven on the street as an everyday tire AND have actual R compound spec's?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Toyo RA-1's ARE R-compound tires. They come with 8/32's tread depth so if you don't shave it, it'll last ~10,000 miles on the street with proper alignment and no burnouts, etc. Obviously, if you take the car to the track the tire wear will accelerate.

For ultimate grip, Toyo suggests shaving the tire down to 4/32's - I've tried it and it does work great. It just won't last as long since you've cut off a bunch of tread.

Toyo's like a lot of camber to work properly and to wear well at the track. As a minimum I would suggest -1.5* front -1.0* rear. But it's best if you can get to -2.5* -3* up front for a track only set up and maybe -1.2* or -1.5* rear.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I ended up with Nitto 555r2's on 18" CCW's.

These came from the mold with 5/32 tread.

I based my decision on the size of the tread block which looked bigger on the Nittos, and are close to the recommended dry thickness of RA-1's.

I'm happy, but have not had a chance to run them on any track.

Either way you go, even a trip to 7-11 is better on sticky tires.

·
Banned
809 Posts
dmtnt said:
Very similar tires, just different tread patterns. Toyo owns Nitto.
Yes, but does one stick better than the other or last longer? I'm asking because people seem to be saying that the RA1's last longer than the F1SC tires and there is no way that the 555R2's will outlast the F1's.

Sal

·
Registered
149 Posts
FWIW, I highly doubt that RA1's would last longer than F1's. F1's are regular street tires, although high performance. You can get over 15,000 miles out of a set. RA1's are R-comp more suited for the track than for the street. You'd be lucky to get over 10,000 miles out of them.

RA1's do offer extra grip, so their shorter life is justified by extra grip.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm going wheel to wheel this year (and will do some DEs too). My wheel / tire setups:

1) Stock wheels w/ 305/35 rear, 275/40 front RA1s, 4 days or so left on them - dry setup
2) OE Concepts Replica wheels 18x9.5 65mm offset front w/ MPSC 295/30; 18x10.5 stock offset rear w/ 315/30 - wet setup until dry setup gone, then will use as dry, and get stock tires as wets

This was cheap (at least the wheels), wide, low, and fronts won't protrude w/ the extra offset, rake / attitude similar to stock

:ity:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts