Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Tire Procrastination

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  99cobra 
I get my Toyo's through Vilven Tire in Royal, IL. I'm on my 3rd or 4th set. I would highly recommend them and their prices are very competitive. Give Bob a call at Vilven Tire.

Toyo RA-1's ARE R-compound tires. They come with 8/32's tread depth so if you don't shave it, it'll last ~10,000 miles on the street with proper alignment and no burnouts, etc. Obviously, if you take the car to the track the tire wear will accelerate.

For ultimate grip, Toyo suggests shaving the tire down to 4/32's - I've tried it and it does work great. It just won't last as long since you've cut off a bunch of tread.

Toyo's like a lot of camber to work properly and to wear well at the track. As a minimum I would suggest -1.5* front -1.0* rear. But it's best if you can get to -2.5* -3* up front for a track only set up and maybe -1.2* or -1.5* rear.

FWIW, I highly doubt that RA1's would last longer than F1's. F1's are regular street tires, although high performance. You can get over 15,000 miles out of a set. RA1's are R-comp more suited for the track than for the street. You'd be lucky to get over 10,000 miles out of them.

RA1's do offer extra grip, so their shorter life is justified by extra grip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.