Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a tire for AutoX use for me and Heather (me for fun, heather for seat time) that does the following:

1) Fits on the stock rims.
2) Affordable.
3) Able to be driven on the street safely. Currently I drive <10miles/day, and to/from the parking lot races.
4) Have acceptable wet weather drivability - I'm in phoenix now, but it does rain even in the summer, but for short periods. I find the stock F1SCs acceptable in the rain, and am willing to curb wet weather driving when I can - but may not always be possible.

From what I can tell this puts the Kumho 710s and Hoosiers out.

Kumho doesn't list a 295/18 or 305/18 on their website for the 700 series, tirerack does list it though (backordered though).

Toyo has the RA-1s in the right sizes, but I've heard stuff about how they wear (or lack of).

I don't mind replacing the tires often, but I don't want to do it once per month or even once every two - beyond that is negotiable.

Also, in the future, I would like to add a set of CCW wheels, and run 295/305 in front, and 335 in back, so the 335 availability is something I'd want to see as well.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
For what yoy require (the key's being drive on street and in rain) the Toyo RA1's or Nitto R2's are the only real choices on stock rims.

Toyo's are awesome and lasting very long and still having good near race tire level grip isn't a bad thing.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Sounds like Nitto RIIs would fit the bill I'm on my 2nd set and wouldnt run anything else on my car. - from the 4 things you listed:

1.They fit perfectly on the stock rims, the sizes are 275 front and 305 rear. No 335's though. A race compound 305 tire will still grip better than a street compound 315 or 335, from what I know.

2. There are reasonable, a full set will cost just under 1K mounted and balanced, if you find a tire shop who will work with you on the price.

3. They are totally safe for street use, I think safer than F1s beacuse you are much less likey to spin the car (or the tires)

4. They are fine in the rain, especially occasional rain like you get in AZ.

The compound is very soft but I dont think you'll find the tread life unacceptible. They hold up very well, I'd say 8k miles at least unless you track your car every weekend. Guys who take the car to the drag strip alot and have modded rwhp will of course wear out the rears much quicker.

Anyway, happy hunting to you - everyone that I know that has the Nittos is very happy with the performance., its such a huge improvement over F1s...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
It is my understanding that the Toyo and Nitto are the same tire just with different tread compounds. Nitto actually sub'd it out from Toyo and branded there's to establish name.
Have heard this from several reputable folks.

So I would go with either and you can't go wrong.
Appalacian Tire is awesome and dirt cheap for the toyo's I know under $1k.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
While I haven't run either, I agree with the above that the Toyo/Nitto are as aggressive as you can get for your list of objectives. They are really on the edge of what I would feel comfortable with for daily driving. I think anything beyond that such as Kumho or Hoosier is too risky for daily driving. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brad -

I was leaning torwards the toyos, but then I heard that they're life expectancy was pretty bad, and that the Kumhos will live longer.

treadwear rating on the toyo is 100, 50 for the kumho. I know you can't compare across manufacturers, but still, thats a 50% difference.

I suppose either one is going to wear fast, I can buy one kind, wear them out, and try the other. And report back.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing I realized, the kumhos for autox use will need to be shaved to 1/2 depth (according to tire rack). The Toyos won't have to be.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The Kumho V700 has a UTQG of 50. If memory serves, the Nitto RII and Toyo have a UTQG of 100. Based on this and assuming the same initial tread depth, the Kunho should wear out faster. Theoretically...

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you're worried that the Toyo RA-1 is going to wear too quickly, the Kumho I think you should consider would be the MX. The Ecsta isn't going to last as long as the Toyo.
If you don't mind the cost, the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup is a longer lasting tire with good grip...not V710 grip, but good.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Based on seeing a number of different folks run I would guess over stock tires on a 2 minute course you could expect this type of improvement in times:
Of course this is all subjective and not just expereince with our car but a number of others and seeing many folks run.
So take with a little grain of salt.

Toyo RA1's or Nitto R2's: - .5 to 1 second if unshaved another .5-1 if shaved.

Pilot Cups and Kumho V700- 1.5 - 2.5 seconds

Hoosiers or Kumho 710's - 3 to 4 seconds

Your results may vary depending on suspension, etc.. but all things being equal the above seems to play out.

:yeadog:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts