Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my right rear tire give out on me over the weekend. Looks to me like some belts blew apart inside. The tire went flat, and both inside and outside sidewalls are deformed. So, after a tow to Kerbeck in A.C. and a $450 bill :bang: , the tire was replaced. The original tires have 10,000 miles on them. Should I have any concerns over running rears with different tread depths? Will it upset the balance of the car? The dealer says no (but who trusts them?).

·
Registered
261 Posts
If I loose one tire, I replace both (front or rear). You will probably feel a difference especially at higher speeds.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jvr, that's what I was afraid of. I'm picking it up tonight, so I'll find out on the drive up the Parkway.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I'd always match left and right but front to back isn't a big concern to me. My 05 has 5/32" on the front and the backs are bald so I have new rears in the garage to put on the car as soon as I film my "Tribute to Z06VETTE.COM 2005" :) :) :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PerforminNorman said:
I have new rears in the garage to put on the car as soon as I film my "Tribute to Z06VETTE.COM 2005" :) :) :)
Looking forward to that Norm!

I wonder if it would be worth shaving the new one down to match the old one, since the old one still has plenty of life left. It would be cheaper I imagine. Does anyone know of a shop that shaves tires in the NJ area?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
More importantly, a new tire and a used tire have different tread diameters. Maybe a couple of percent difference. They're run at different RPMs for the same road speed. That "slip angle" is going to effect your Differential. I must admit to not knowing how the LSD in our Corvettes work. But depending on the design, long term operation with two different diameter tires, even if the difference is minor, could burn out the LSD clutches.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah rocketsled, I was just reading up on that very scenario at tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18

That hadn't crossed my mind till now. It's either going to be another new rear or finding someone local to shave the new one down. Tirerack has this service for $25 - $30 per tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts