Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking a trip in the Vette next month and looked into getting getting some new tires. The car has 15k and I wanted a good set of wet and dry traction tires. This is my daily driver and I live in Florida, so I get to drive in the rain a lot! My first Z06's Goodyear SC's were scary in the rain when I hit 19k on them. I had read some good things about the Firestone Wide Ovals, so I ordered a set over the Internet this weekend from Tire Rack. The tires came today, so I headed off to my local tire store to get them put on the car. When they took the rear passenger tire off I found out it had been plugged, (I purchased the Z when it was at 9500 miles). When we examined the tire the inside sidewall was black and burnt looking, like it had been driven with little or no air in the tire. Now here's the kicker!! When they removed the tire off the rim a 2" broken drill bit fell out of the inside of the tire!! :eek: I was having a little buyer's remorse for ordering new tires when I only had 15k on the current ones, but I am sure glad I did. I would not have wanted to take a 1000+ mile trip on a plugged and damaged tire that had a drill bit rattling around inside the tire. :bang:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
It goes without saying that if you buy a used car you need to check Everything Out. Tire's and all. IMHO you should alway patch a tire from the inside and not plug it. In your case the tire tech could have found the drill bit when he removed the tire to patch it. I'm sure the guys that like plugs will chime in but I just feel it should be patched.

D.J.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts