Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade my F1 tires to improve overall performance. I want to run an occasional track day, throw in an AutoX maybe once a month, but mostly just have good performance on a daily driver. In addition to overall performance, I also want a tire that will last a reasonable length of time (i.e., no soft compound, pure race tires).

I have two questions:
1. What are the largest size tires I can run on front and back stock Z06 wheels?
2. Given the objective of daily driver tires used for an occasional track day, what size/brand would you recommend.

Any advice would be appreciated as I need to get some new tires soon. Thanks.

Doc

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I dont know much about tires but I'll put it to the top for you!

from what I hear you can go 315/30-18 on the rear, or is it 305, not sure, alot of people go to Nittos Ntt (something like that). I personally like my F1s but I havent tried any others, like I said before, I dont know jack $hit about tires other then Drag Radials :pp:

·
Registered
891 Posts
I ran BFG KD on street and AX both and had good results. Fresh KD will be almost as quick as R-compound tires. They lasted 2-3 seasons. 275 fronts and 295 rears. The only thing close to the KD is the Pilot Sports, but they are a lot more $$$. Take a look at the outside tread blocks. If they are not as large as the KD they probably won't perform as well in an AX situation. :cheers:

I have run the F1's on the track and times are higher than the KD.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Michelin PS2s, or if you want something with just a bit more performance, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. 255/17 front (sounds smaller but it really is the same foot print as the 275 GYF1s) and you could use their 315 on the rear but I got the same performance from the 295s.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the various recommendations. However, I am still confused on the largest size tires I can run on stock Z06 wheels. Does anyone know for certain what size tires can be used on stock wheels without clearance or other problems? Thanks.

Doc

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
C5Pilot said:
Thanks for the various recommendations. However, I am still confused on the largest size tires I can run on stock Z06 wheels. Does anyone know for certain what size tires can be used on stock wheels without clearance or other problems? Thanks.

Doc
I think you can go as wide as 335s without rubbing, but I wouldnt do that because the rim is only 10.5 and It will look really stupid, trust me!! I run 315s on a 9.5 rim for Drag racing only and its ugly as a tire/rim combo can be :puke: , The stock size of 295 is perfect on that rim, some have gone 305 width and Im sure 315 wouldnt be too bad either, so if you trying to go as wide as possible on stock rim I say try a 315 width, you wont have any rub issues :guiness:

·
Registered
891 Posts
285 is maximum width on front 9.5x17 rims. That is about 10mm per side wider than stock depending on tire brand. I run 275 without any problems.

315 is the max that will fit on a 10.5 wide rear. That is 20mm wider per side. Mark Olsen above sounds like he had 315 rears on the stock rims.

Go to the Tire Rack website if you want to find what is available. Pick a tire size like 275/40-17 to display all the different brands. Then pick a specific brand and click on "specs". This will show you all the different sizes available and recommended rim widths.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
On stock wheel sizes I think its:
275/40/17 fronts
305/35/18 rears
much more on either front or rear and your rubbing where you don't want to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

I just ordered a couple Nitto 555R2 305/35-19 tires. Not I only wonder if they are going to cause some excessive understeer when matched with my stock Goodyear F1 tires on the front. Guess I will find out on track day. Thanks to all for the advice.

Doc

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
mountainbiker2 said:
Kumho MX are great tires. 285/40/17 front. 295/35/18 rear.
These are the tires I use for daily driving and road courses that are too far away to drive on R compound tires. I am satisfied with their performance and they are far better in the rain and F1's - plus they are reasonable. :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts