Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a set of OEM C5 Z06 wheels and when I get them I plan on getting new tires. I will use the tires for autocross and daily driving. I would like to go a step up in size in the front and rear. I can find 275/40/17 tires easily, but 305/35/18 are very hard to come by. I also would run a 315/35/18 if I couldn't fint the 305's. I would prefer the front and rears to match. I've tried searching on various tire sites with no luck. As it looks now I will have to stick to the stock sizes. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You're a new Poster, so I'm assuming you're new to the car and may not know this... Tire sizes need to be selected carefully or you will effect the operation of the Traction Control and Active Handling systems. The front and rear are different diameters and that "stagger" needs to be maintained fairly closely to prevent problems.

If you click my Signature and scroll to the bottom of the window that opens, there's a link to a spreadsheet that will help you choose tires for the front/rear that *won't* screw up the AH/TC. You should also do some searches in the forum for C5 Tire Size type posts. There's lots of good info to be had with minimal effort.

Note, if you put a 40 series tire on the front of the car, the sidewall will appear noticeably "taller" than a 30 series rear wheel. Some don't mind this, but in my opinion it looks stupid and I would strongly dissuade you from going this route. Unfortunately your choices in tires sizes are limited if you want wider up front but you want to stay with a 17" wheel. I would recommend you consider going to an 18" up front instead. This will allow you to pack about the most rubber under the car, that doesn't require you make any modifications to things like the brake ducts, and also allow you to use a 30 series up front so the "aesthetics" are still pleasing.

My setup uses after market Motorsport wheels, 18x9.5 front with 285/30-18s and 18x10.5 in back with 315/30-18s (the pictures of my car show chrome 18x10.5 all around - I've since switched to black with 9.5" front and 10.5" back). I'd add that while these wheels aren't the lightest, they are quite inexpensive and they look decent.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. If all else fails, I'll just go with stock sizes. I will be autocrossing in the SS class, so I can't change the size of the wheels.

·
Z06 Master
2,627 Posts
I used to run 275 & 305 Nitto RIIs on my stock wheels. They work great for street/autox use. The only negative is every rock you drive over will be picked up and thrown at your rocker panels.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
I used to run 275 & 305 Nitto RIIs on my stock wheels. They work great for street/autox use. The only negative is every rock you drive over will be picked up and thrown at your rocker panels.
Those are the tires I'm currently running on stock sized Z06 rims and they work just fine.:yeadog:

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
I got about 8k miles out of the rear ones and almost 10k from the fronts. They are soft and sticky and are meant to be a summer tire, which works fine here in southwestern AZ.:coo:

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
+1 for the Nitto RII's for Autox & DD ...
They're 100 UTQG so that may kick you up a class in AutoX (where you run against Hoosiers & Kumhos, etc.)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going with the Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals in stock sizes for now. If not those I will get the Bridgestone Potenza 760 Sport in stock sizes. I will get a competition tire when I have a little more cash to spend.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You're a new Poster, so I'm assuming you're new to the car and may not know this... Tire sizes need to be selected carefully or you will effect the operation of the Traction Control and Active Handling systems. The front and rear are different diameters and that "stagger" needs to be maintained fairly closely to prevent problems.

If you click my Signature and scroll to the bottom of the window that opens, there's a link to a spreadsheet that will help you choose tires for the front/rear that *won't* screw up the AH/TC. You should also do some searches in the forum for C5 Tire Size type posts. There's lots of good info to be had with minimal effort.

Note, if you put a 40 series tire on the front of the car, the sidewall will appear noticeably "taller" than a 30 series rear wheel. Some don't mind this, but in my opinion it looks stupid and I would strongly dissuade you from going this route. Unfortunately your choices in tires sizes are limited if you want wider up front but you want to stay with a 17" wheel. I would recommend you consider going to an 18" up front instead. This will allow you to pack about the most rubber under the car, that doesn't require you make any modifications to things like the brake ducts, and also allow you to use a 30 series up front so the "aesthetics" are still pleasing.

My setup uses after market Motorsport wheels, 18x9.5 front with 285/30-18s and 18x10.5 in back with 315/30-18s (the pictures of my car show chrome 18x10.5 all around - I've since switched to black with 9.5" front and 10.5" back). I'd add that while these wheels aren't the lightest, they are quite inexpensive and they look decent.
After reading your post I hear ya, but the OP wants a series 35 in the back, not a series 30. So a stock size series 40 in front is ok.
I have the Vredestein tires on my car and they are awesome. Only bad part (if you want to call it that) is that you need to buy 275/40/17 for the front instead of 265 since they don't make that size (yet) for our cars. But they do have the 295/35/18 for the rears. For a price of around $700 for all 4 tires you can't go wrong!
To the OP, The only downside to your post on these tires is that they don't make a a 305/315 in 18". For some reason only in 17" do they make a 315/35 series. I was told though by a eastern distributer that they will be making these sizes in our stock sizes soon!
Oh, and I know someone who uses these tires at the track and loves them!
Quoting here: "If they are good enough for a Ferrari, they are good enough for my Vette!"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spot on evaluation DCD58, the Vredestein "tyres" rock! I'm so glad I decided to give them a try because they're better than the OEMs (GY F1 SC), and I'd even say they're better than the GY D3s they replaced!

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Spot on evaluation DCD58, the Vredestein "tyres" rock! I'm so glad I decided to give them a try because they're better than the OEMs (GY F1 SC), and I'd even say they're better than the GY D3s they replaced!
5 old threads about tires brought back to the surface this morning :eek2:

Can we assume that db4thrill is having a tire fetish morning :lol: :lol:

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Toyo Proxis R888s and they are head and shoulders above the PS2s as far performance. I use them as my track tires but are so good that I like using them all of the time. You pick up some hum and you have remove them from the car, lay them flat and reduce the pressure 50% before the temp. reaches 15 F so they do not crack. If they crack, they are junk. I used them in the rain as well but did not push them. They are the official SCCA world cup tires, or something. They show them racing in the rain. FASTIME 03 Z06 C5R puss getter 450HP 440TQ

·
Registered
13 Posts
MikesZ06, you bet! I did a little reading up on the Vredesteins prior to purchasing myself and I was quite stoked with my positive experience. I wanted to share that positive feedback about the tires so people will buy them and dealers will continue to import them. Without demand there will be no supply, so I'm just trying to do my part to give all us Z06 owners the best options.
On that note, I've got a few thousand miles on them now and I'm still very pleased with the tires. I expect that I will continue using this tire for my Z06 as long as they are available. :thumb:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looking for replacements for 04 Z06. (not Badyears) Recommendations?

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
If using stock rim/tire sizes the choices are limited. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or Bridgestone Potenza show up on the Discount Tire web site. There has been some recent discussion regarding different brands/sizes for the C5 Z06. Do a search.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If using stock rim/tire sizes the choices are limited. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or Bridgestone Potenza show up on the Discount Tire web site. There has been some recent discussion regarding different brands/sizes for the C5 Z06. Do a search.
Thanks for the info.
I can find Michelin PS2 front 265/40R17, but no rear 295/35R18 (national back order and may be discontinued).

Does anyone know how the Bridgestones compare to Michelins. Toyo, Kumo?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts