Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reset the ECM and go out for a quick spin. It's like night and day. :yeadog:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Norm is your car an auto?? I thought torque management was only on auto cars?!?!?!? :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jayzvette said:
Norm is your car an auto?? I thought torque management was only on auto cars?!?!?!? :cheers: :cheers:
Actually it is much more aggressive on 6M's. They are harder on drivetrains. That is the reason for the TM.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Norman are talking about your C6? C6's have much more intrusive TM than C5's. :cheers:

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All C5's, F-bodies and C6's have TM. C5's TM isn't as aggressive as the C6 TM. The C6 6M TM is the worst. A supporting vendor has created a module to try to reduce TM on the C6 6M and has shown consistent 1/4 improvements of .3 to .5 seconds. It irritates me a bit that I spent $52K on a car that has a design to limit its performance. I understand why GM did it but if they are that concerned, then build a better drivetrain. I hope the C6 Z doesn't have an aggressive TM. LS2 edit doesn't even address TM yet. :(

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
TM is not a problem on stock or lightly modified C5's 6M a little more of a problem on Auto's. TM is can be easily adjusted with LS1 edit on C5's. :cheers:

From my 2003 service manual:

Torque Management (TM) is a function of the PCM that reduces engine power under certain conditions. TM is performed for the following reasons:

1. To prevent overstress of the powertrain components.
2. To reduce engine power during certain throttle actuator control (TAC) system faults.
3. To limit the engine power when the brakes are applied more than approximately 40%.
4. To prevent damage to the vehicle during certain abusive maneuvers.

The PCM monitors the following sensors and engine parameters to calculate engine output torque.

- Air/Fuel ratio
- Mass Air Flow (MAF)
- Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)
- Intake Air Temperature (IAT)
- Spark Advance
- Engine Speed
- Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT)
- A/C Clutch Status

The PCM monitors the torque converter status, the transmission gear ratio, and the extended brake switch input in order to determine if torque reduction is required. The PCM retards the spark as appropriate to reduce engine torque output if torque reduction is required. The PCM also shuts off the fuel to certain injectors to reduce the engine power in the case of an abusive maneuver.

The following are instances when engine power reduction is likely to be expected:

- During transmission upshifts and downshifts
- Heavy acceleration from a standing start
- The brakes are applied with moderate to heavy throttle (with the traction system active).
- When the driver is performing harsh or abusive maneuvers, such as shifting into gear at high throttle angles or shifting the transmission from reverse to drive to create a rocking motion.

The driver is unlikely to notice the torque management actions in the first two instances. The engine power output will be moderate at full throttle in the other two cases. The PCM calculates the amount of spark retard necessary to reduce the engine power by the desired amount. The PCM disables the fuel injectors for cylinders 1, 4, 6, and 7, in case of an abusive maneuver.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
All C5's, F-bodies and C6's have TM. C5's TM isn't as aggressive as the C6 TM. The C6 6M TM is the worst. A supporting vendor has created a module to try to reduce TM on the C6 6M and has shown consistent 1/4 improvements of .3 to .5 seconds. It irritates me a bit that I spent $52K on a car that has a design to limit its performance. I understand why GM did it but if they are that concerned, then build a better drivetrain. I hope the C6 Z doesn't have an aggressive TM. LS2 edit doesn't even address TM yet. :(
I agree. After my 36,000 mile warranty GM should give me the option of removing this function!!!!!!! If I want to break my car that should be my option :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Jayzvette said:
I agree. After my 36,000 mile warranty GM should give me the option of removing this function!!!!!!! If I want to break my car that should be my option :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
There is also this

It's the abuse management. This is independent of traction control.

"The Power Hop algorithm is used on manual transmission Corvettes only. If TCS (traction control system) is turned off, it is possible to get the tires to break loose and have axle hop, or oscillate, during hard launches. To remedy this, the TCS module requests a torque reduction from the ECM, even though TCS has been turned off by the driver, For Power HOP, spark and/or fuel reductions are used rather than throttle to improve response time. This request is calibrated so wheel hop can be reduced as much as possible without compromising vehicle performance. The TCS module requests just enough torque reduction for just long enough to get the axle back on the ground during these launch events"

--John Juriga, Assistant Chief Engineer for Gen III Passenger Car Engines.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65986&highlight=Torque+Management
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58277&highlight=Torque+Management

1 - 11 of 11 Posts