Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get an idea on what to expect and how often do we need new tires, rotors, pads after - how many - events. For ex., at Bragg-Smith, I was told that new tires/brakes were put on after one Level 2 class, which consists of three days of about four 30-minute sessions each day of road course racing. All of our Z06's are fairly new. Has anyone had to change their tires yet? After how many/what type of events? Did you put the same type, SC tires on?

------------------
Quicksilver Black/Red Z06
Born 12/14/00
'99 Torch Red FRC

G

·
0 Posts
I would like to see an answer about this too. I would like to take my car or cars to a track, one of the learning courses, like Car Guys or such. I am worried that after one event my ride will need new brake pads or rotors. I want to learn how to drive it, go fast, but not replace everything after one event- my wife would kill me. I don't plan on late braking every curve and corner, just want to learn the fundamentals of going fast smoothly. This make sense? Waiting to see what answers Z0six and I get, thanks!

------------------
Bob Hardt
00 Mallett 396 HARDTop
01 Corvette Z06 Speedway White w/red trimmed int.
C5Reg NCM Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member

·
Registered
566 Posts
Bob:

I have not had much chance to really work the car out, other than a few standing start practice launches for drag racing. My car has been sleeping now for almost 2 months (winter came early and hard to the Chicago area). There are a lot of guys south of here driving their cars, so you should get some feedback, especially from auto crossers, and road racers.

------------------
Quicksilver Z06

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think a few hard days on the track are going to make any tire go off. You'll still have plenty of tread/wear left for normal driving, you just won't have optimal grip anymore.

Generally softer tire compounds hold more heat, grip better and wear quicker.

------------------
2001 Z06, Tag "EVIL Z06"
Torch red, solid black interior
!CAGS !BSM
NGK TR6 plugs & Taylor wires
Halltech Z06 TRIC + MAG
NX 150hp Wet Kit

·
Registered
128 Posts
The rear tires for the ZO6 are in the 500 dollar range, luckily I have a connection at just tires, I hit a pothole in my Z, that caused the sidewell to bubble, my connection gave me the tire at 4 bucks over cost, which came out to 274 bucks.

------------------
Dave Zehak
2001 Black ZO6
Best 1/4(so far) 12.5 at 112
"Mods"
B&M Ripper Shifter
RM racing Nitrous(not installed yet)
"Previous Vettes
1985 white Corvette coupe(auto)
1998 Silver Corvette coupe (M-6)
2000 NBM Corvette Coupe (M-6)

·
Registered
267 Posts
The tires should hold up better than you think, I have 28 passes at the drags and over 30 runs on an autocross course. The last 12 at Grissom AFB which is brushed concrete. The tires are just now getting broken in. The brake pads are ok, they should last me a season. About 180 runs and another 30-50 passes at the drags. However, I am looking for a more agressive brake pad--hard agressive stops at 60-80 mph with the stock pads are not that terrific. As for tire wear, when the tires get down to 3-4/32nds, Get another set of tires and wheels if possible for the street and save the originals for the track. That is when they will really start to work. There are several autocrossers and ORR people who would buy a new set of tires and have them shaved to 4/32nds for racing, just to be competitive.

------------------
01 Z06 Black
64 FI RED Convt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts