Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm missing something here - that's why I decided to post this. Perhaps there's an optimal tire pressure I should be using that would improve traction or something (yet still be safe to drive on)? Also, what is the optimal air temperature at which I could expect decent traction? Are they better on freshly paved roads, concrete, etc... ? The other day it was about 70 degrees, and they still broke loose more than a convict with a key to his own cell.

It truly seems that almost any car that pulls up next to me at a light can "chirp" their tires and take off like a bat out of hell, and I simply can't... it's frustrating, and humiliating. I'm not just talking about blown FWD Civics, or other cars with less power to the wheels that typically shouldn't break loose... even some V8 F-body's with somewhat similar HP/torque seem to have 100% better traction, and just take off screaming from a dig at a stoplight, while my tires silently spin in 1st and into 2nd... it's an ego-buster for sure. No one even knows they're spinning because they don't make any damn noise! :flaming: These people must think I'm just some poser donning Z06 badges for show.

When I had my 350Z, in quite similar conditions, I was able to launch like a rocket, with very minimal tire spin; I could also pound it into 2nd with absolutely NO excessive spin - just a quick 'chirp' of the tires, and then 100% traction. The 350 had about 300HP with a few light mods (stock 287). Should 85 HP make THAT much of a difference? I know it's a lot, but jesus, it isn't 150 or 200HP! Maybe it's because the SC's are a lot wider than most tires? That can't be it either, because my friend's Viper GTS had MONSTER 335's, and that car launched harder than anything I've ever been in, with minimal tire spin.

Can someone shed some light on this? I know the Zee is a monster, but I'm wondering why other cars, even those that are somewhat simliar in power & torque, can just squeal the rears and launch like a rocket... :-?

I can say the Zee does corner like a God... better than any car I've ever been in. Many have said that it's just not a drag racing car - it's more geared for track racing and cornering.... maybe I should just accept that..?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am no tire expert but the reason the SC's don't "squeal like a pig" is because they are very soft tires designed to grip the pavement. Loud tire "squeal" is usually on harder tires. Don't get me wrong, on the right pavement the SC's will squeal ie...parking garages, very smooth pavement and surfaces along that line. I personally don't mind not squealing just as long as whoever was beside me is in my rearview mirror!!! :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
how many miles on your F1's-after about 11k on mine-you get lots of spin like you describe
i went with new F1's big improvement ..if i had it to do over , go with the nitto 305's on the stock rear rims..IMO

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Spinning your tires a lot will harden the surface rubber and they won't grip.

Also, in cold air, you're producing a lot more power and the pavement seems to lack traction for street tires.

I'm assuming your driving in the "competition mode?"

Nitto's or BFG's have more grip.....you could always put some drag radials on the rear....

Finally, you might try to start a race at speed rather than from a dead stop. Starting from a dead stop try slipping the clutch a little and squeeze on the accelerator. Practice and see what works for you.....

HTH :thumb:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Same here, stock F1's would just spin through 3rd gear.

Only way to get it moving is to feather the throttle untill she's hooked up and rolling then lay it on gently.

I swapped out stock wheels for 18" F&R with Nitto 555R2's and now would not drive on F1's again.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Just replaced my OE tires with Michelin PS2s,and they launch considerably better than the F1s ever did and of course much better now then my used F1s. I believe that not only does the rubber dry out/harden more quickly on performance tires, but that aspects of their performance start going away after 10k or so miles. At least that seems true in my case...

·
Registered
31 Posts
in additon to the above...remember ...it is all about squeezing the gas pedal. spin does not equal speed. :thumb:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the exact same problem. In the first two gears it feels like driving on ice. Im thinking it could be a negative camber issue, because my Z corners like its on rails but has no traction in a straight line. I cant even use the active handling because it goes off all the time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bought nitto r2s this weekend hoping to solve this problem. Not that impressed so far. Perhaps I need to break in these tires but I have to feather the gas about the same as with the f1s to keep traction. Don't really understand what all the hype is about on these tires.
By the way, this is a really fast car. Could have something to do with it. :yeadog:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought a set of Nitto 555R2's about a month ago and was a little dissappionted with them at first. Then I realized that the roads were still not up to summer temps yet even down here in Houston, Tx. The key to better traction, is to warm up the tires first. Once the tires are warmed up, the traction is awsome. Not quite drag radial stuff, but far better than the F1's ever were.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'm running the Nitto DR's and they hook far better than the F1's when they are warm :jammin:

Rob :cheers:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BillsZ06 said:
I bought a set of Nitto 555R2's about a month ago and was a little dissappionted with them at first. Then I realized that the roads were still not up to summer temps yet even down here in Houston, Tx. The key to better traction, is to warm up the tires first. Once the tires are warmed up, the traction is awsome. Not quite drag radial stuff, but far better than the F1's ever were.
Good point. I live in NY, and we get horibbly frigid, sub-zero winter temps; it's been pretty pleasant for the last week or so (65-70 daytime), but I have to keep in mind that the temps have occasionally dipped below 40 overnight...so maybe the roads just aren't fully warming up yet. I've definitely noticed, with any car, traction is far superior in the dead of summer on the sticky roads.. :D

Yesterday I also let a little bit of air out of the rears, and that actually seemed to improve my traction - I think they may have just been a little too stiff. I have a digital tire psi reader, so I made sure they didn't get to a dangerously low level for daily driving, which I would think is anything below 35psi...?

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I've been slipping very much also, on F1's, must be the horsepower/weight along with the cold temps. Be very careful. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
All four F1's should be set at 30 psi. 35 is way to much and will result in excess tire spin. I believe its in the manual.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
DavidGP said:
All four F1's should be set at 30 psi. 35 is way to much and will result in excess tire spin. I believe its in the manual.
It's also listed on the inside of the drivers door jam. You only do 35 psi when road racing at high speeds, otherwise, 30 psi cold temp for normal street driving. :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Z06Rocket, welcome to the Z06, Thats what its worst at is taking off from a stand still especially in the winter. you'll brake loose even off a roll on first and second gear and on occassion 3rd gear in the winter, from a roll in the hotter days the F1s are actaully really good, you wont brake loose from a roll, but you'll still brake loose if you mash it from a stand still, and its not only the tire its the way the z06s suspension is set up, which is for handling in turns other then drag racing it :yeadog:

·
Registered
154 Posts
The first thing to go on mine were the F1's. I think they are a good road racing tire, but not much of a dig tire. Tire heat is the important part of traction, I'm also in Texas, and it's very warm, most of the time, which improves my traction, but from a dig, without a burn out, it still wants to spin. Best proposal for street racing would be a 2500-2800 launch, ease on the throttle or a roll start around 3000 in second, third, switch on the happy gas, and wave goodbye to your competitor. You can leave him flowers for a consolation prize as well if you prefer.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
In my experience with 433 rwhp, the nitto 555r2 are far superior to the f1's in traction and handling and are rated to 186mph. This makes it worth it. Nittos typically need to get warm for maximum performance more than any other tire I've tried. So, you need to heat them up. They performed similar to the f1's in the rain as well. After I do heads and approach 500rwhp I may go with drag radials in the rear. I think for a stock or near stock car the r2' would be perfect. Keep in mind that they don't make great launch tires due to the stiff sidewalls. They may launch from a stop light slightly better but will hook much better after moving. Slipping the clutch on f1's is the key to a good launch. Lower the tire pressure may help slightly. I've run them at 20psi at the track with no problem. Practice alot!

·
Z06 Master
2,627 Posts
Z06 Rocket, you never said how many miles are on your tires.
They defintely get loose when they're worn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts