Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paging McRat, 11SM et al:

I want to change the tires on my 69 L-88 to something that grips better. I have some sticky Michelins (similar to stock 96 Viper GTS tires) on my 66 427/450/4.11 that grip real well that I'm very happy with and that I may try, but I wanted to get some opinions first.

My L-88 probably puts out about 560-600 hp, and it has a 4.56 rear end with sidepipes. With the tires it has on it now, it's like driving on ice, and it will go sideways at 1/4 throttle. Supposedly it will burn rubber in 4th gear from a dead stop with the 4.56 rear end, so I need some tires that really grip and that won't cause me to lose control if I get on some wet pavement or gravel, etc. I want them to be street safe as well as very grippy, so I want some good tread on them, good enough to drive around the neighborhood or to a local car show or drag strip.

What do you guys recommend? :ity: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add that I don't mind going wider than stock, but I don't want any body rubbing at all...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Without fender flares you don't have a lot of options!

We have a 71 454 LS7 and I'd love to put on the 315's that are on the 86 daily driver, but that will just crack the fenders when you hit a bump!

With that much HP you are really not going to find anything that won't burn rubber and break loose!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fred, yep it needs a big unitire all the way across the back. I wish it would hook up like my 66 with the 4.11. I think the 4.56 is too much, but that's how it came from the factory. The first time I drove it was on the freeway, and when I got to 70 I punched it and nothing happened, I didn't go any faster at all, the speedo was stuck at 70. My buddy Bill and I then noticed that the rear deck was vibrating like crazy. It was burning rubber, and would have kept doing so until I took my foot of the accelerator or ran out of gas.

That said, I just want something with a little more grip, more like stock Viper tires. They only last about 10k miles, but that's fine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
With that kind of power, I'd just run drag radials in whatever size fits your car. BFG or Nitto. Forget street tires with almost 600hp and 4.56 gears!

Dope

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dope, thanks for the input. I just want tires that have enough tread to deal with slick pavement. I did a few 360's in a Mustang a couple of times when it was raining...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Dope said:
With that kind of power, I'd just run drag radials in whatever size fits your car. BFG or Nitto. Forget street tires with almost 600hp and 4.56 gears!
Dope
Oh, I don't know about that. One time I was "moving" Greenwood's #48 ZL1 "Flag" car with the BFG Lifesaver TA "street" radials back to the garage from the pits, and I could launch it without too much wheelspin. That car (C3) had "L88" flares, and "dogleg" rear trailing arms to clear the "street" tires and Minilite mags.

Moving the car through pedestrian traffic at races was done by:
1. Blip to 5000 grand with open side exhaust.
2. Pedestrians JUMP and MOVE aside.
3. Rev again and "launch".
4. Push in clutch and coast through the new pedestrian "tunnel".
5. Repeat as needed.

Oops, I forgot. 2.76 gear. Slightly different animal. Just :bs:

Doesn't help answer your reasonable question.
I have no really good "all-around" answer,
unless you want to mold in the '63 Grand Sport "flares"
to help with tire size and wheel width "a bit".
Personally, I love that down and dirty look. But, maybe yours is unmolested?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
What wheel diameter are you willing to move to? Do you want 15's, or would you consider 16/17"? Most of the ultra-high-performance street tire development, unfortunately, bypasses 15's these days...
A 275/40-17 SHOULD fit with careful wheel offset, and opens you up to ALL SORTS of companies and compounds.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, good info. I want to stay near stock tire size, and yes, my L-88 is fairly unmolested. I had a big block radiator, 7 blade fan and twin electrics installed since otherwise it would overheat if I got stuck in traffic.

Sorry to not get back to you sooner, but my email notification must have gotten turned off or spam filtered.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I can't help you KR :(

But how the heck are you?

·
Registered
581 Posts
For the street, Goodyear makes a vintage F70-15 Polyglas GT. It is a 68-69 Corvette specific model.

For racing, Hoosier makes a 26.5x7x15 and 26.5x9.0x15 tire. The first is also an F70-15. I'm not sure if the wider one fits. Either will lower the car slightly. I believe these are race only tires.

Neither will make a stock 1969 handle like a C6Z06. If the chassis and suspension (springs, shocks, bushings) are in good condition, it can be like a scary 1969 muscle car. Which it is.

The other option is to use a set of retro look wheels with 17" or 18" tires for those non-vintage moments. However, the narrow width will still make those power levels a challenge.

David

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
David, thanks for the info. I am going with sticky Michelins like I have on my 66. DR's might make it too dangerous, especially given the market value of L-88's right now! :eek:

11SM, I'm doing fine, how are you and the big Rat? I'm trying to get broadband via cable at home, but it's still not working well 3.5 weeks after installation. They're supposed to fix it (again) tomorrow.

Somehow I'm not getting my email notifications; I think it's turned on in CP, but I'm not getting them, so sorry in the delay in getting back to everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts