Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time to get new tires. When I purchased my 99 a few months ago it came with the set up 275/40/ZR17 on the front and 315/35/ZR17 Sumitomo HTR on the back, on GS wheels. My question is should I stay with the same set up or change to something else? I'm happy with the way it is, though the choice for 315's seems limited. Any imput would be appreciated.

Jo Ann:)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Having been in the business for more than 30 years and not necessarily being a big fan of Goodyear, I'd still stay with the OE tire. GM designed the specs for the Z06. They know the car and trust me on this one: cost was not a factor. Of course, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
bib - he has a "regular" FRC ;)

Nitto just released a 305/18" 555 - might be an option for me when it comes time...it's about 75 bucks cheaper than the SC tires too...if not that, I'll more than likely stick with the SC's....but hell, enough of the Z06 talk....if you like what you've had - stick with them, IMO. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
i can suggest some awesome tires for you...

for 315/35/17's you can not go wrong with these tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/yokohama/yo_a032r.jsp

They give AWESOME tractions in dry, and are very good tires to drive around on daily. Even in the rain they perform great for road race tires. The only problem is you will only get about 10,000 Miles out of them, but you will stick for sure.

They have a great looking tread pattern also.

but what do I know, im just an import guy learning about z06's ;)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hey , this is the first step in admitting you want the power of a Z06 :D:D:D

but what do I know, im just an import guy learning about z06's ;) [/B]

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
TAMUz06,

I think he's a she.....vettechic/Jo Ann.

Her wheel diameter is 17" not 18"

That 18" Nitto sounds interesting. Does it have a rim protector like the Michelin Sports?

My tires are good for a while. Next June, or sooner, I'm gonna replace the rears with new Goodyears. The big change will occur the following year when I'll replace all 4 tires. Since I don't drive in the rain, Dry Traction is what I'm looking for.

A guy in our Corvette Club has a device that measures the softness of the tires. He said our Goodyear F1 Supercar Tires were only slightly soft, which seems to be the case, as the wear factor is very good. But, I'd rather have a stickier tire.....I put on about 9,000 miles a year.

Sooooo, anyone got a recommendation on a soft compound tire that has a rim protector, an aggresive tread pattern and size 275x35x17 front and 305/315x 35/30x18 for the rear. Perhaps such a tire doesn't exist!? I suppose I could do w/o the rim protector.......any ideas??

Thanks for any imput!!

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Not certain about those back ones, but some Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP's would fit your bill nicely for the fronts. :)

Yup - I'm not thinking clearly either...*sigh*...long holiday season...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts