Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been asked before, but after doing a search, a definitive answer wasn't found.

Since Sherylann and I drive our Z's 365 days a year, these damn SC's have got to go. They are just too dangerous in the Winter. We just got our first snow today. :puke:

Will bigger tires fit in the rear without rubbing or sticking out too far?? Can I go with a 305 or 315??

Who makes a good tire with a decent tread?? I did a Tire Rack search and couldn't find a tire that met the Z06 criteria. :-?

Recommendations??

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Going with a wider tire will make the car look beefier but that's because you'll create a bulge or rounding of the outer edges.

Wouldn't the rounded edges possibly "reduce" your contact patch?

Just something to think about in that icy weather.

Don
fcalmes said:
It's been asked before, but after doing a search, a definitive answer wasn't found.

Since Sherylann and I drive our Z's 365 days a year, these damn SC's have got to go. They are just too dangerous in the Winter. We just got our first snow today. :puke:

Will bigger tires fit in the rear without rubbing or sticking out too far?? Can I go with a 305 or 315??

Who makes a good tire with a decent tread?? I did a Tire Rack search and couldn't find a tire that met the Z06 criteria. :-?

Recommendations??

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I went with BF Goodrich g-force tires on my 95' not sure if they make a Z06 size but I did alot of winter driving in that car and thought the BFG's were a much better wet and snowy weather tire for traction!!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not sure a wider tire would help trememdously. It seems as though a thinner tire might cut through snow a little better rather than ride on top of it.

At any rate my mom put some Blizzak tires on her 3000GT one year and they helped her out tremendously in the winter - I dont have all the facts for sure but supposedly stickier or something and only recommended for the winter months.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Manatee said:
Frank - Have you checked with Tire Rack yet ? :)

I'm sure if you asked AgentZ06 (Chris) he'd have some great street tire recommendations :)
Yeah, I checked Tire Rack, but they don't have the sizes I need. I am leaning towards Michelin Pilot Sports. :-?

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I have not lived up north since '69, don't they still sell snow chains?:lol:
With over 26K on my tires Frank it's like snow everyday for me.
There were no F1s in my stocking.:(

G

·
FRank..

Here are two cool alternatives..

1) I spray the tires with a prestone product called Insta TRack..

Basically its a wood resin that increases traction for snowy situation..it should be applied in the morning in the garage before you pull out...

Then as long as you don't travel to far..you have amazing traction 25miles..

I use it and the stuff is amazing. (Just be careful not to get it on the paint..(not a big deal to avoid)

Its like 5 dollars a can..I use about two a year..for my wifes truck and my car..

Spray it on the tread and forget about snow tires..

When your heading home....spray it on again for the next 25 mile trip..

2) buy C5 used rims..the wagon wheels..they run about 200 to 250 dollars for a set of 4. ( I bet most guys still have excellent tread on the front tires too! So you only have to buy back snows..unless you want snow tires all around..) So the worst that your beautiful but safe ride will look like is a 99 FRC! LOL A dam nice car I might add! You owned two remember!

Then put the C5 snows on..or any snow tire you like for that matter..

The smaller tire patch is better for the snow..not larger as you mentioned in your earlier post..

Then at the end of the season..just put your ZO6 chromies back on..

Thats a better alternative for your wife..IMO if not both of you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Frank-
Have you considered getting a second set of rims for the car(s) and putting dedicated snow tires on them. I'm sure you could line up some reasonably priced rims from a salvage yard or the like and put the snows on them. Then you can quickly swap them on in the winter and off in the spring, without having to purchase a "compromise" all-weather tire.

I've found that an all-season radial doesn't really perform like a dedicated M&S tire. In my college days, I drove a nice '69 Olds Cutlass all year round in Syracuse, NY. I bought some basic steel wheels and put fairly narrow snow tires on them. They looked ugly, but boy did they work.
Scott

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Believe me, I've been driving for 27 winters and wide tires (of any type) and snow and ice do not mix. Whatever you do Frank, don't go wider for winter tires. Also, BFG Gforces are totally worthless in the wet. The F1SCs are actually much better than Gforces in the wet. I'd probably get a set of extra rims, 9.5 inches wide max. and put some cheap Firehawks on them for the winter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You definitely want to go with snow tires and skinnier. The earlier advice about another set of cheap rims is a good one. Tire rack has a good selection of winter only tires.

Good luck.:)

·
Premium Member
2001 Z06
3,461 Posts
I live in Denver. We get a decent amount of snow. I simply park my Vette in the winter. And drive my SUV. ;)

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I know Goodyear makes snow tires for the C5, (Eagle MS EMT) I would buy a used set of 97-99 C5 wheels to mount them on. (Ebay)
The Tire Rack sells the rears at (275/40 x18) for $342 ea. The fronts (245/45x17) for $295 ea. Nobody makes a snow tire for the Z06.

carzzy

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Skinny Tires are better!!!!!

I agree with the others, smaller tires puts more weight per square inch on the smaller contact patch.

But, you'll need 8 Winter Tires and 8 Wheels, and that won't be cheap. BUT, that should last you for many years on these Z's and future Z's.

Say you spend $3,200.00. Amortized over 8 years, that's only $400.00 per year, which is CHEAP INSURANCE!!

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Registered
56 Posts
I never ran snow tires on my front wheels. As I mentioned earlier, I had narrow snow tires on steel wheels on the back of my Cutlass (when I say narrow, I mean like a 5-6 inch width), and my regular 245/60's summer tires up front. The car looked ridiculous, but I could go where a lot of front-wheel drive cars couldn't.

I'd buy rear snows/wheels and leave the fronts as is. Syracuse is a snow hell and the summer tires up front worked fine. If I got some understeer while cornering in the snow, application of the throttle and posi-traction out back allowed me to dial in instant oversteer!! :cheers:

Scott

·
Registered
938 Posts
TOYO makes a set of matched replacement tires The Tire Rack does not carry them. I will be replacing my Goodyears with Toyo,s when they wear out. Check them out at www.victoriatire.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the suggestions people!!

First, I do not want to put some different wheels or skinny snow tires on the Z and make it Dorky looking. I want to maintain the current look of my Z's.

I basically need an all season tire with more tread than the current SC's. I am leaning toward Pilot Sports, but will also check out other suggestions, THANKS!!

It usually doesn't snow that much here in St. Louis, I just want to be prepared if it does. We had our first snowfall last night. Mostly just a dusting. So far we have been pretty lucky this season.

I am considering the wider tire just for the looks. But, ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING is better than the SC F1's in crap weather!! My '99 Hardtops handle much better than the Z's handle in rain and snow. It's definitely the tires.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Wild Ride

I drove my Z28 today in 6 to 8 inches of snow for 22 miles in the hills of West Virginia with 245/50 16" snow tires and I spent half my time looking out the side windows.:eek2:

This is the first winter in several I don't have a 4 x 4 and my Z28 is my daily driver so I'm kinda stuck. Pardon the pun. I have to get to work at all costs since I'm with the Division of Highways and snow is our specialty.:D

Florida would be nice this time of year.
:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I agree with RippiedZ06 - it's Firehawks, Baby! Nothing like them in the wet. I had them on my last Vette and they were great. Some of us got caught in a terrible thunderstorm one night and everyone was planing except me with my Firehawks. Get some old rims, put them on in the winter and take them off in the spring.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts