Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to drag race.....of course I would never drag race a car under factory warranty. But just for kicks if I did want to drag race say ahhh a new 2002 Z06 and drive it daily....then what tire options should I examine. The Goodyear supercar tires are all right, but could be improved on a bit......

I have looked at Pirelli and Bridgestone specialty tires, all comparably priced with the Goodyears. I would like a tire with a little better grip, that would hook up a little better at those main street stop lights and also double as a tire for a daily driver...am I dreaming or is there something better out there....please tell me.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My absolute favorite is to run DOT legal road race tires on the street.

Rambling thoughts about the pros & cons:

They do not do well in the wet because you tend to run them until there isn't much tread left. You can hydroplane badly in standing water.

The number of miles you get per set depends on your driving style, the tire you choose, and how tuned your alignment is to your wear pattern/driving.

They tend to be cheaper than street tires.

If you spin your non-sticky tires often, you may find that a stickier tire will hook up enough that they actually wear more slowly.

Some of these race tires perform poorly in lower temp conditions. I once ran RE71RAZ 8/32" tires on the street.. As they grew older, most would say they were dangerous in the wet below 50 degrees.

Race tires tend to not make squeal noises, though I doubt that is a major problem on any tire that fits the Z.

Some race tires like to follow grooves in the road, some are fragile .

Many of these race compounds are not designed to be heat cycled as much as street use entails. So tire selection is critical.

It has been over two years since I bought my last set of sticky tires, and compounds have changed. So I can't recommend a particular tire. And in any case, choices for the stock rim size are limited.

Anyone else like to run road race tires on the street?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts