Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Titanium heat shields/shims!

I would like to install titanium heat shields/shims on the brakes and am in a facility where they have access to titanium and will cut it to size. Problem is I don't have access to a sample as I am not at home but away at work.

Million dollar question is does anyone have a stock heat shield laying around they can scan or something so that I can give them a template? Any help or subquestion would be fantastic. Hey, I think this is my 100th post!

Mark

·
Registered
602 Posts
I am interested in how this turns out for you.

I installed some heat shields on my exhaust tubes where they run by my transmission and differential. I don't have an oil cooler and on two occassions with temperatures in only the 70's I got warning indication on the panel for high temps.

I ran several sessions 2 weeks ago and BW with temps in the 90's saturday and 80's on Sunday with no problems.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I can't scan but can draw you an outline and fax it . PM me if you want me to fax. I have the OE front and rears to use as a pattern.

Other option is to hit the local Autozone. Both the Duralast and PFC barnds come with a shim on it. Just have em' pull em out and bring some paper and trace the outline. Call first as not all stores stock our pads, but hey can normally get them in a few hours.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Z06Machine said:
I can't scan but can draw you an outline and fax it . PM me if you want me to fax. I have the OE front and rears to use as a pattern.

Other option is to hit the local Autozone. Both the Duralast and PFC barnds come with a shim on it. Just have em' pull em out and bring some paper and trace the outline. Call first as not all stores stock our pads, but hey can normally get them in a few hours.
I will try to local Autozone, if that doesn't work out I will PM you. Thanks for the help. Good idea.

Mark

·
Registered
197 Posts
Are you still looking for these :ity: LOL

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jem said:
Are you still looking for these :ity: LOL
No I'am not still looking for these, thanks to you.

Also thanks to Z06Machine for giving me another option if necessary.

I have gotten eight pieces of stock for the front and eight pieces of stock for the back so I will be able to make a spare set.

Jose you gonna help me cut them?

Mark

·
Registered
161 Posts
pfyc.com should be stocking these (shields, not necessarily this specific design) in two weeks...posted on cf in the racing section.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
freefall said:
pfyc.com should be stocking these (shields, not necessarily this specific design) in two weeks...posted on cf in the racing section.
Interesting, do we know what they will bw made out of and how much? I'll take a look at PFYC. Would like to know how much I saved by getting the pieces myself!

Mark

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Another option is to have the pads coated with a heat barrier coating and as well the caliper inside faces while coating the outside of the caliper with heat realease coating. This is the new F1 trick.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Help me understand something.

If we coat the back of the pad - The heat stays in the pad and transfers to the rotor...has to go somewhere right?

We now have cooler pistons and fluid, but won't the rotor now be more prone to cracking from the extra heat.

Seams like it's hard to have you cake and eat it too. Or is this the lesser of tow evils.

·
Registered
372 Posts
DJ

I ran into a guy that is coating the inside of the rotors and the outsides of the calipers as you mentioned. He is doing some testing, he is claiming a 50-80 deg or more drop in rotor temp with the coating. Also has indicated similar drop in temps at the caliper. Somehow the coating allows the heat from the rotors and calipers to disipate quicker. Says they are using the coating on some racing motorcycle parts both internal and external engine as well. I think he said something like $40 a rotor and about $80 for a caliper.

I am not too comfortable with blasting the coating from the Z calipers and rebuilding them. That fine blast dust can get in real tight places. The regular C5 calipers are the same as the Z right?, wouldn't they be the ones to experiment with?

Would cryo have any advantage on calipers, caliper pistons, etc?, maybe cure the caliper spreading issues, etc.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Is there a vender/product name for the heat release coating?

·
Registered
155 Posts
DJWorm said:
Another option is to have the pads coated with a heat barrier coating and as well the caliper inside faces while coating the outside of the caliper with heat realease coating. This is the new F1 trick.
I'll be giving this a shot shortly, along with teflon on the sides of the pistons and slider bolts, and more heat barrier on the piston faces. I was quoted ~300 from Polydyn for the front calipers. I'll be buying the Ti shields from either you or PFYC whenever they become available.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I can't find the Vendors card right now. Andy from A&A knows the guy, you may want to give Andy a call.

I would also be interested in effective solutions

·
Registered
197 Posts
Vette brake and products (VPB) make a coated caliper with titanium pistons, but they are expensive. I also run DRM stailess pistons. The titanium pistons offered by VBP do not accomodate the dust seals. I ruined a few of the dust seals after my second season of Auto X and track. Since I intalled the titanium shield now on my third season an they are still pliable and working fine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
PS:

Stainless resist heat, but titanium desipates it very quickly.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Subw00er said:
Do these things work? Worth the $110?
Work for me so yes they do work. I made my own from titanium stock and have noticed better breaking performance with them. I used to melt the seals in the pistons without them.

I don't have and real data for comparison but can tell you from my experiences since install break feel is improved and as I mentioned already some improved breaking performance.

After brake warm up the car brakes as well from start to finish during a 1/2 hour DE using the brakes extremely hard for the entire event. Some fade but very predictable and nothing like stock. To even say I experience brake fade is being very picky.

In addition I have SS pistons, SS lines (for feel only, no real braking plus) race pads and Moutol brake fluid. Other than rotors, which we all know, is the weakest link, my next limiting factor seems to be the brakes themselves. Caliper has spread and it looks like I will be upgrading before next season.

But i digress, back to the origional question. If you drive your vette very hard in race situations, yes they are worth IMO for that. Other than those driving conditions you will see no benefit by putting these on.

Mark

1 - 20 of 22 Posts