Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be taking ownership of a 01 White Z06 in early June (Thanks Karl!).

I am planning on driving this back to Texas 450-500 miles. What would be the best way to break this in on the way home? I have read many threads about this in the past, but not sure what is the best to do.

I am really looking forward to a road trip with the new Z & first Vette, but I am also considering having it shipped here if this is not a good way to break in. Thanks for your help.

Tevis

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Last september I picked my Z at NCM, and drove it home to CA. I definitely enjoyed the ride... I enjoyed the car too, I didn't piddle around doing 55, I was going decent freeway speeds, with occasional blasts to extra-legal speeds.

Curiously, my car isn't eating oil, go figure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't nail the brakes. Don't do full throttle starts. Don't bring it to redline....much. Vary the rpms (can shift from 4th, 5th, 6th on the highway). and don't worry.

Bob

·
Registered
70 Posts
I picked mine up there too and drove it back to Atlanta. About 440 miles after dropping the wife off at the airport to pick up the car.

No full throttle starts, vary rpms, I've heard you are supposed to stay out of 6th which insn't hard to do if you stay under 55. I also stopped occasionally where there were some shopping centers where I could drop the speeds back down to less than 30 and use 1st and 2nd.

Have fun when truckers come up on your butt doing 80 while you are doing 50. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

It makes for a long trip but isn't your baby worth it? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Plus, right about the time you get home you can open it up and have a week long smile on your face. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The freeway won't be a problem. As others have suggested, vary the rpm and avoid hard take offs with rpm over 4000. Higher speeds (around 80) will not hurt the car. At 80 in 6th you only hit 1900 rpm, so speed will not be an issue. That may be the most memorable 400+ miles you will ever put on a car. And, just a few more miles you will be ready to let it "sing". Enjoy the ride, I am!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts