Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone gotten away with not changing plugs on a 100-125 dry shot? I'll use nitrous maybe 6-7 times a year and only in 5-6 second intervals. I know it's recommended to go a step colder but is it essential for the occassional spray?

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Yes, it is. The plugs are easy to change. Why would you choose _not_ to do it? Back when I was running nitrous I was running a 125hp shot and sprayed about as often as you're talking about. Ran NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .042". On motor, the car made the SAME power as it did before with the stock plugs.

This is a no-brainer. Change the plugs.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the plugs but noticed a change in idle with my old 2000 LS1 that only had 15K miles on it. I also noticed a difference in throttle response after the change. I'd like to keep the performance of the stock plugs but still want to be safe.

·
3,265 Posts
Well, I did my own LS1 edit tune on my car...but I didn't have to change it at all after swapping plugs, so I can't see how that would really affect anything. However, I had no issues with change in idle or throttle response. Like I said, several full throttle dyno pulls showed _zero_ loss in performance with the new plugs compared to the stockers when run on motor alone. Drag strip #s showed the same power there as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm... i've heard a few other people complain of a rough idle after the install too. Maybe I can just swap the plugs and see if I notice a difference. I can't imagine it'll be as tricky as an F-body. All of them pretty easy to get to?

·
3,265 Posts
Much simpler than an F-body. You still need some long extensions and a double-swivel ratched to make it easier, but if you can do the plugs on an F-body, then these will take you 30 minutes. :)

I felt absolutely _no_ change in anything as far as driveability of the car, but maybe it was just my car. ??? Come to think of it, though, I don't recall anyone posting here complaining about idle/throttle-response issues with NGK plugs vs. the stockers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yea, some guys have had crappy idle, but if I remember correctly they had the gaps pretty tight and once opened a tad they were better. if your running a smaller hit you don't have to go .035/.038 a little wider like what wa2fst had.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think the rough idling is probably due to not correctly gapping the plugs or gapping them at the wrong gap. Try as Wes suggested and go to a .042 gap and put them in.

Robert do you have any vids of your z06 purging? What numbers does she put down with the 150 shot? :thumb:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just pics in my web, you have to go pretty deep (#37 ?) to get to Z06 pics. I don't give out my numbers as I still do the sreet thing on occassion. Basic stock Z06 with a little dry hit vs Modded Cobra? :yeadog:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts