Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been studying all the alignment posts and have come away with a couple conclusions...

1) Z06vette.com has got some REALLY smart people contributing

2) I had no clue an alignment was required after changing shocks (I put '04 shocks on my '03 last spring), nor did the local dealer's Corvette guru who installed the shocks even suggest it.

I have some severe wear (down to cords) on the inside edge of the front tires and attributed this to not using the brakes around corners. I'll post my before alignment specs later today - might be interesting.

·
21,386 Posts
If the shocks you are installing don't change the ride height then an alignment is not required. It's possible that some of the nitrogen charged shocks might have an affect on the ride height but I doubt it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Just back from Firestone...

1) Wide Ovals are on, and are very quiet. Certainly not as sharp at turn in as the F1s but more than sufficient.

2) The 'before' alignment numbers were all ok except right front toe was +.11, left was +.01 (camber -1.2 and -1.0). The right front had the excessive wear w/ inside edge cords showing, so I think 'tigerdrvr' in his post of 2-19 (here) knew of what he spoke. Plus I know I am more aggressive on right turns... my Freudian slip is showing?

3) Resulting alignment specs are darn close to what I requested (gleaned from this site) w/ Front L/R camber -1.0, front L/R toe +.02 and +.01 (whats a hundredth between friends?) and caster +7.4/7.5.

Rears came out at toe L/R -.01 both, and camber -.7 both.

No, the motor hasn't been out and the new shocks were just '04 Z06 shocks... a lot less 'chop' on street surfaces.

I'll post a follow up on the tires in a few k miles.

UPDATE; just looked at the rear tires again (saved them in case...) anyway, one was past the wear bars and I'd not noticed this before. Other is fine. Went to look at before alignment numbers and sheesh... the left rear toe was +.18, right rear toe was -.21. No wonder this thing liked right hand turns!!! The rear end of the car was already there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts