Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did a search for all kinds of combinations of "lower or not" and didn't get anything substantial, so....
if you had it to do over again, would you lower your z on the stock bolts? i believe this will lower about an inch. this is my daily driver, so any driveability issues when you lowered your z? i don't track it so my only reason for lowering it on the stock bolts would be appearance, to give it a little more personal touch. also, searched and found several issues with the trunk lid not opening enough to
easily pull it up. just picked up my 2002 EB Z, and the trunk MIGHT open 1/4 inch when you push the lever. it rained the other night and there was no way to get a grip on it (too slick), so i got back in, and reached back and pushed it up from the inside. does a little WD40 on the latch still work, or has anyone found any new tips?
car is going to 21st CMC in 2 weeks for the first round of goodies, and was wondering if lowering on the stock bolts is an "easy to live with daily" mod ?

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I lowered mine on stock bolts-love the look and the handling on the track. I just approach entries at ANGLES so the headers don't drag:D

The trunk? hummm...been a pain in the BUTT ever since I got this vette, I just slam a door shut and it pops open

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
What Leslie said. :yeadog:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
What Leslie said :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool...i hate the sound of that front scraping something on any type of grade though, even though i know it's designed to handle it. also, is an alignment necessary with a lowering on the stock bolts?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
slow99 said:
cool...i hate the sound of that front scraping something on any type of grade though, even though i know it's designed to handle it. also, is an alignment necessary with a lowering on the stock bolts?

Yes, most definitely, IMO it a good idea to drive a 100 miles or so to let the car settle. :z:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Slow,
Most cars only get about 3/4" from lowering the front and about the same in the rear. Some get less.

I have trimmed 1/4" off my front spoilers. Helps some.

The alignment will change after lowering. It is essential to have it CHECKED. Align if necessary.

Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts
trunk spring

Had that problem with my trunk lid on my 99 frc and took it in under warranty and they adjusted or replaced a spring that pops it up. I think it just looked like a wire in the latch area. I'm not where I can go look at mine right now to know for sure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine is a daily driver and I lowered it last month, wish I hadnt waited so long to do it. I got 7/8in drop all around. The rubber stops at each corner can be adjusted out, they help. I do like most here, close the door to force it open.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I lowered my 01 Z on stock bolts, not so much of an issue at 3/4 of an inch. When I got the 04 I went with cutting the bushings, new bolts and modded the shocks so they dont bottom out. Better handling and more stable at speed. Scrapes and drags are the consequences that you face this low though. I am just careful at entries and speed bumps.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Z06-Z16 said:
I lowered my 01 Z on stock bolts, not so much of an issue at 3/4 of an inch. When I got the 04 I went with cutting the bushings, new bolts and modded the shocks so they dont bottom out. Better handling and more stable at speed. Scrapes and drags are the consequences that you face this low though. I am just careful at entries and speed bumps.
How did you modify your shocks so they don't bottom out? :roll:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I lowered the the front on stock bolts and the rear with Lowes grade 8 7" bolts and I dont have any problems except my driveway approache. Headers dont drag nor does the frame. My trunk pops up about an inch above the decklid when I push the button, maybe they changed the spring in 03's.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had the issue with the trunk springs too and did the "door closing thingy" for a while got the redass about it and turned it in for warannty...fixed for now but Im sure like the rest of GM's crap it will go south and I'll go back to the door closing all over again. Want to lower mine but would rather pay a shop to do it...know anyone in the DFW area that can do it?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sure, 21st CMC has prices of common mods posted in their shop. i believe, not certain, that the price listed was $75

·
Registered
125 Posts
For the trunk, that happens to me too. All I do is open a door and close it and the trunk pops up.

As for lowering- Im lowered as much as possible on stock bolts and want to go lower!

·
Registered
89 Posts
My car was lowered when I bought it, but the previous owner had to use different bolts and cut some bushings (I'm not too familiar with the lowering procedure). He said he measured about a 1-3/4" drop all around. I could tell from the pictures I saw, but didn't get the full effect until the first time I saw it in person. :eek:

It can be a PITA, especially here in Houston, but I haven't had any major problems yet. I do have to be very very careful where I drive, and have had to look for other entry/exit locations from parking areas if the entrance is too steep. I've only tried one speed bump, but it was a small one and it took me a minute or two. It does scrape occasionally, but only a couple of times anything other than the plastic spoiler under the nose. I also have to be careful of people behind me b/c I have to go into places much slower.

I think it looks awesome, so I'm going to keep it like this until I start having more problems.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Try CRC aerosol silicone spray on the trunk lid hinges. It worked wonders on mine for a few weeks. It also pops up if you close door with windows up.

I adjusted the rubber spring bumpers for the trunk lid and it really didn't affect much.

The dealer did something under warranty which had no effect...

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
TSB 03-08-66-001 is a bulletin on the rear deck lid, for cars that were installed with only one support strut from the factory. This can produce an incorrect deck lid to fascia gap. This can be changed, and the other hinge allows for the installation of the second support strut. The TSB will also aid in the opening of the trunk lid. Although it's not specifically designed to fix the opening problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts