Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll I have a really good chance to sell my car and the guy seems really interested. He met me last night in Plano,Tx to look at it and we talked alot about this and that with the car. He wants to buy it but will have to go thru his bank to get the loan; which is understandable. He seems in a big rush to get this done too. Can I give him the car this weekend once he gets the loan done and all that. I love the car to death and the only reason I am selling is because from where I live to where I work is 35 miles one way. So its eating me alive in fuel each week. and I am adding to the clock too. (its my daily) I worked really hard to drive a Corvette and its truely an Amazing car. I know I am gonna miss it and all that too. My question is- Should I just tell him i prefere to keep it or should i just sell it to him if the loan goes thru??? Im wanting to be fair to the both of us...just some insight would be great. thanks again ya'll!!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Steve, I may have an off-center opinion (so I've been told), but if you like the car keep it. I drive mine to work every day and its usually the best part of my day. A tank of gas each week shouldn't be a deciding factor (IMO) and why be concerned about running up the mileage if you like the car? Are you concerned about not being able to give the next owner a lightly used vehicle?

just my $0.02, or whatever its worth. :mug:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes and no...its got 38,000 on the clock and he looked it over and was in love with it. Idont have a problem paying for the fuel or the insurance or the note each month. My wife and I are fine money wise. it just seems like a better way to save money for us to sell the car, make a little extra cash towards something for her ( i have a custom truck too) and then save on all three monthly payment, fuel for two cars, and insurance....just trying to justify it all. i know he would be pissed about it. but hey..it aint sold till i see the money...maybe i should just flip a coin!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If money isn't the problem... keep the vette and buy a Honda gas/electric car that gets like 50-60 miles /gallon. You'll have everything you need then. Honda makes 3 hybrids now. One is even an Accord! I don't mean to cut out the Toyota fans, but their hybrid car is in recall right now or at least close to it.

Frank

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Well, I can tell you from experience! I have been in your boat several times and that is one of the reasons I have owned so many Vettes!
You are trying to justify the expense and practicality of the car and figure you would be wiser to put the money to better use. The problem is that you are going to miss it so much that you will just turn around and buy another...for even more expense.
My Z16 sat in the garage for 6 months of the winter and several times I thought of selling it, I did find a buyer for it and cancelled the deal 15 minutes before he was going to pick it up. I knew I would miss it! The Hell with practicality, keep your Z and enjoy it!

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
you first need to decide what your goals are and what's most important. If driving a vette doesn't fit in the family plan, then sell it.

If it brings you great pleasure and you can afford it-KEEP IT. :yeadog:

the buyer is the second deciding factor

best to you on your decision :thumb:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HA! most of you are Pro-vette and understand the enjoyment. I dont want to piss the guy off if I renig on the sale. trying to be fair with everyone. Yes there is a practical side to saving the money and then again i worked hard and did all the right things to be able to buy a Vette adn drive it for whatever reason i wanted ....Just having really hard second thoughts.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
stevep1794 said:
HA! most of you are Pro-vette and understand the enjoyment. I dont want to piss the guy off if I renig on the sale. trying to be fair with everyone. Yes there is a practical side to saving the money and then again i worked hard and did all the right things to be able to buy a Vette adn drive it for whatever reason i wanted ....Just having really hard second thoughts.
Steve,

You need to keep your beast and enjoy it! You're only here once and life passes by fast. The only way I would part with it is if the money was an issue and you needed the cash. :thumb:

Bob :cool:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Steve it sounds like you are ready to sell. Sit down and calculate how much you think you will ACTUALLY save after the car is gone. We get pretty good gas mileage. Nothing like the Z06!!! You will miss it drastically. What car would take its place?? How much would it cost?? How much is the down payment?? How much would you save on the insurance. They are not expensive to insure either. I hope you are making alot on the sale, if not you will come out a wash with the deal. Good luck. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Do Not make the buyers interest your deciding factor!!!

In my situation I bought the car brand new, and although I drive it alot I have a spare for bad weather and for work for other reasons, for me to sell it just because it would put money in my pocket right now wouldnt make any sense, almost being paid for, lets assume it is, I paid $52k for it almost 3 years ago, Its a 2003 with 20k miles, really good taking cared of and maintained, at best I would see $35k here in this market, I dont see why throwing away the diffrence from the price paid ($17k) just to have it, I dont need it right now, If I need it, it would be a good idea, but when you purchase a car you have made the decision to spend that money, selling doesnt bring it back, (exceptions are for collector cars that appreciate). For those who purchased a brand new Z06 for example back in 2002 or before, the depreciation has leveled off, so if the idea is to sell, we can wait longer to decide because its not depreciating as fast as in the first years!

If you are comfortable driving the car to work, or actually like driving it every day ,keep it!! I find it funny how people sell their Z06s for $30k+- to then go out and buy a brand new more practical car for that amount :roll: , the new car is going to depriciate faster then the Z06 at this point, and other then the back seat and manual trans its not less pratical then a $30k family car, if you cant live with the Stick and 2 seats only then ofcourse sell it, If I ever dont want or need my Z06 for my weekend cruiser ect, for instance if I get the new Z06 or a C6 vert if I can afford either, I wouldnt get rid of the old Z06 either, either I would make it an all racer for drag and road course, or I would make it my daily driver and drive it to the ground 'til time for a complete restoration :yeadog: :cheers:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to come out about 8,600 ahead in the deal. everything would be cheaper for us. i would have money for dwnpayment, cheaper fuel each month, (new ride would be better gas mileage) insurance would go down some (how much I dont know) and so monetarly (spelling) it would be great..but....DAMN I LOVE JENNA SO MUCH (Car's named by my wife)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
stevep1794 said:
I am going to come out about 8,600 ahead in the deal. everything would be cheaper for us. i would have money for dwnpayment, cheaper fuel each month, (new ride would be better gas mileage) insurance would go down some (how much I dont know) and so monetarly (spelling) it would be great..but....DAMN I LOVE JENNA SO MUCH (Car's named by my wife)

couldnt we all save money on many ways by getting a cheaper car. the feeling that you had that made you buy the car has changed obsviously so ofcourse sell it , If I would of known that was your feelings about it, I would of told you in the beggining to sell it, good luck and lets know your substitute automobile, Im curious :yeadog:

luis

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Sell the truck instead.Keep the Z :z:

·
Registered
141 Posts
If it were me I'd be selling the custom truck and buying a
beater to drive to work in that get's decent gas mileage. Hopefully the extra money freed from the truck will get your wife a decent car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't Do it!! You will be sorry as soon as you see the new owner pull out of your driveway. You and you wife have even named the Z. Don't worry about The other guy getting P##ed off, more than likely he will understand. I went through that when I sold my C4 I changed my mind back and forth several times and so did the gent that bought it from me. I have a new friend now and I tell him he cost me 30k when he bought my 88, cause I had to buy my Z within 2days of sale to get over the remorse. I have guilt trips every now and then and put my Z up for sale then panic when someone shows an interest in it.I have 4 other vehicles though and mostly drive my 97 Buick beater and keep my nice stuff home. Go figure. What a disease.To sell a great car to maybe save 10 bucks a week on gas is :screwy:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
stevep1794 said:
the truck is paid for....
Perfect! Sell it and pay off or down the Vette. What car are you going to buy that gets significantly better mileage? I get close to 30 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Sell it. :eyes:

Sulk. :(

Buy a new Z06 next year. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts