Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To those with polished rims

How hard is it to keep these rims clean if they are on a semi daily driver. Them being billet with no coating?

DROID

·
Registered
61 Posts
I Have Hickock Sprints - Pure Polished Aluminum - No Clear Coat - Very Easy - Just Use Any Aluminum Polish When Needed - Which Is Not Very Often - Keep Your Wheels Away From Soap - Wash When Dirty As Brake Dust Is Corrosive - Wipe Wet - Enjoy - There Is No Comparison With Clear Coat Or Chrome - It Is Deeper Than Clear Coat And I'm Not A Chrome Guy - Good Luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
Apply a polymer sealant to the rims each and every time you wash your car and the amount of dust accumulated will be dramatically reduced. The dust that is retained will also be much easier to clean off.

I highly recommend either Meguiar's #20 or Klasse All in One for your rims.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 Clean Z06 said:
Apply a polymer sealant to the rims each and every time you wash your car and the amount of dust accumulated will be dramatically reduced. The dust that is retained will also be much easier to clean off.

I highly recommend either Meguiar's #20 or Klasse All in One for your rims.

I assume the Meguiars and Klasse is the polymer sealant?

DROID

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Also consider "Zoops" Creme Cleaner/Sealer/Protectant....expensive, but very effective.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Full polished rims such as CCW's with no clear coat and the inner barrels polished are very high maintenance and I would not recommend them for someone who drives in the rain. :eyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IT L GO said:
Full polished rims such as CCW's with no clear coat and the inner barrels polished are very high maintenance and I would not recommend them for someone who drives in the rain. :eyes:
What difference does the rain make?

DROID

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
droid said:
What difference does the rain make?

DROID
Raw Aluminum and rain equals stained aluminum big time :yeadog:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
IT L GO is correct on the corrosive issues associated with uncoated rims and the maintenance requirements. Even a poorly chromed wheel in the barrel section will corrode if not given proper attention on a daily driver. Some of the reproduction wheels that I have seen have a fine finish of the outer face area but are lacking a good finish on the enter barrel. Zoop Seal may be the answer to the problem of polished rims. It seems to be effective as reported above. Then again it may be an issue with the quality of the base aluminum.

D.J.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
droid said:
Permanently or just have to polish everytime they get wet?

DROID
If given prompt attention the are easily removed with any polish. If left on for a long time more aggressive cleaners are necessary such as Wenol etc.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
These internet forums are great....

Knowing how much work is involved to care for high polished rims that are not clearcoated really makes me appreciate a painted rim..

High polished look awesome when clean but who would ever deal with polishing rims is a better man than me.

I'm lucky if I remember to wash the car....

Why aren't all the high polished rims offered with clearcoating?

Thanks for the information on this thread.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Various wheels are offered with clear coating, chrome, full polish, polished lip, painted centers, anodized, etc. Kind of like ordering a car in the 60's, you could get anything you want. These large rotor's are hard to clean around much less polish around. I have a set of uncoated Wheel Vintage, sp, wheels on a 64 Nova I drive and they take very little care. But I don't drive it every day.

D.J.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
I had billet aluminum (uncoated) wheels on a Camaro before I got the Z. I used Metal Majic cleaner and polish/sealer. If I let them go for several weeks they started to look dull & dingy. To keep them looking bright is a lot of work. The older I get, the less time I want to spend on waxing/polishing. I love having painted wheels now :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't think the maintenance is anywhere near as bad as some make it out to be. My 505a's are 1 year old with maybe 13k miles. I've never polished them. All I do is dry them after a wash to prevent spotting and maybe every 3-4 washes I'll use some cheap spray wax. The wheels still look awesome. Perfect?.....No, but my car is not a garage queen. I'm sure if you wanted to get down on your hands and knees you could nit-pick them to no end. In reality, my wheels look light years better when dirty, than the factory wheels look when clean, and I'm a huge fan of the factory wheels. It's amazing the lenghts folks will go to make aluminum look like chrome. If you want your wheels to look like chrome, then polished aluminum is not for you. If you like the technical look of bare aluminum, chrome will look cheap to you. Don't be afraid of polished wheels.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Very good outlook Big GunZ. If they get that close to nit-pick your wheels give them a rag. I think polished wheels are beautiful and would love to have a set. I would keep them up as well. I have a Dark Navy Blue Coupe and the the 505a's would look awesome on it. I have chrome Z wheels installed on it and it's over the top. Really too showy for my taste. The soft shine of those 505's would look great.

Dreaming in stormy Florida

D.J.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts