Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I sold the Harley:( and that means I'm one step closer to getting THE CAR. :)

But, I'm still torn between a "Z" and an "UN-Z".

I've had muscle cars before (Challenger 440 6pack,
big block 70 Vette, and many others, but I've never owned a C5. My last vette was an 86 and as I recall it ran like a brick (a very fast brick!)
(My wife hated the car because is rode hard and it was very loud)My wife is very supportive of this purchase and told me to get whatever I wanted(except a new wife), so I want to consider the "Ride Factor" too. I've test driven both a new Z06 and a new Coupe, but to be honest I couldnt tell much difference in a short test drive. I also did not "push" either car out of respect for the future owner.
It won't be my only transportation (ie: an everyday driver) but I do plan on driving it every non rainy day. I won't be racing it, and I never was much for street racing (okay, maybe a little back in a day), but then there is that bragging factor (the Z06 emblems). I plan to keep it a long while so resale might be a consideration as well.

So just how much difference is there in ride quality and other creature comforts? How bad is clutching and shifting the "Z" in traffic? - I live in Jersey and traffic can be a bitch.

As owners of corvettes, I value your opinions.

Thanks

FiveOJoe

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Joe!! :cool:

You are probably asking the wrong crowd...we are a little biased here!! :D

To be honest, I had 3 C5's before the Z06 and I was getting burned out on Corvettes after 25 years. But, when I bought the Z...HAPPY HAPPY!! Brutha, you won't be sorry!! Get the Z06 and have fun!! :yeadog:

Btw, it has a nice smooth ride too. :)

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
The Z downsides:

The F1SC P295 rear tires on the Z are a bit on the loud side when riding on concrete at highway speeds (80 MPH). They are quite a bit louder than my even wider P315 Dunlop SP 8000s on my 85 vette). The rear spring stiffness on the Z also makes the ride a bit more bouncy on shitty roads. Stick is always a pain in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic. No open air feel of the glass top on the coupe.

But these are minor annoyances. The upsides are:

A *very* noticable improvement in acceleration over the coupe.
The awesome handling of the Z.
The sweet sound of the exhaust.
The great looks of the Z.

I have no regrets, I am really glad I went with the Z instead of the coupe. I will probably be adding a partition soon to try and cut down on that tire noise a bit.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I own a 96 grandsport and an 01 torch red z06, dont drive the grandsport much anymore.

alan:)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
FiveOJoe

Wife factor will be a no no...........the ride is firm, handles like a dream, is crappy(like ALL Vettes) in the rain......like a snow sled........10.5's rear, and 9.5's front.......HYDROPLANE city.......

Car is noisier than a coupe.................

Plan on being in it ALONE a lot.............;)

That can be good or bad, depending on the spousal unit.......:D

All this said, the "Z" is like NO other vette I have owned.......

It is rock steady at speeds I would not even think of driving in other vehicles.....

It thinks FOR you, that can be GOOD at times........bad others....

If you are looking for a beauty, a decent ride, and some creature comforts, then the "Z" is not for you.........

All those can be had with an automatic C5...

IF, you are looking for something you will make ANY excuse to go somewhere, i.e. errands, etc............this IS the car for you......you WILL not want to stay out of it..........PERIOD.

Resale........is subjective.....depends on too many variables.......
If they make 6ooo Z's this year, and discontinue them..........we will have around 12k of both models on the street....in future years this will be a PLUS, as MANY of these cars will be wrecked, and ruined by excessive modding, and racing, etc........so, as far as resale ........I will put my $$$$ on the "Z" over the other standard Vette's............of ANY kind.

It is, as they say, Habit Forming,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:cool:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Get the Z..you wont be sorry..car has excellent in city driving manners..when its time to fly you will be glad you picked the ZO6..also plently of stares when the informed realize what just passed them:cool:

J

·
0 Posts
Without a doubt..get the Z! JMO as a coupe owner..

Joe,

I'm in Northern Bergen County ,NJ...I have a 99 Red C5 coupe 21 thousand miles ..mint .....with the transparent top..I love it..but..if the zo6 was available at the time of my original purchase..I'd have bought the zo6..honestly

Still thinking about it..just hate to sell a perfect car with another 3 years another 30K miles left on the GMPP warranty..One day...I'll get around to putting this car up for sale..most probably next summer..

My suggestion is that if your entertaining the thought..get the zo6..That fever just grows even after the purchase of the C5...

don't get me wrong ..the C5 is awesome....but the zo6 is the king!

ZO6..ZO6!

GO FOR IT!

GET THE ZO6! JMO..and good luck!

JB

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
For what it's worth, the '02 Z06 has a more comfortable ride than our '01 Z51 C5 coupe with runflats. Overall, the car is a lot more fun than the C5.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Gonna make this short and sweet, get the Z06. You wont regret. You cant even compare it to any other kind of corvette. You wont be let down!! :yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog:

P.S. PMontelo, havent seen you post lately. Where you been at?

Andy
02 T/R Z06

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Andy Cravens said:
P.S. PMontelo, havent seen you post lately. Where you been at?

Andy
02 T/R Z06
Andy, just got back from a week on the beach in Florida :cool: ... Had a great time but I was starting to have severe Z06 withdrawal pains at the end of the week. ;)

Unfortuntunately looks like we will be getting some snow here soon and this forum will be the only thing to ease the pain. :(

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Ah ok. Yeah, goin that long without the sound and rush of the Z06, I dont see how you did it! :p

Andy
02 T/R Z06

·
Registered
123 Posts
It is true that this forum may not appear 'objective' about the issue of whether one goes for the 'Z' or not. I appreciate the fact that you took it easy on your test drive out of respect to the future owner, but to really get the feel of this amazing vehicle you need to drive one that is past the 500 mile break in period so that you can let her rip they way she was designed to rip. The horsepower and torque are impressive, but the handling is amazing!

Have fun!:D

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm listening!!

I took into consideration that there would be some one-sidedness in this forum, but I am still interested in what you guys have to say. I'm leaning toward the "Z" over a coupe( for the following reasons), but I wanted to see if there is anything that may change my mind. So far there isn't.

1. I will drive the car most (99%) of the time.
2. I have a preference for hardtops.( I never took the top off my 86)
3. I love the way a car sounds.
4. I like to have something "different".

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. GM taking away that financing has really hurt me.
Any way of finding out if it will come back in the spring, maybe to clear the lots for the 03's?

Thanks, I'll keep reading!!!
FiveOJoe :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I would be willing to bet good money that those rates won't be seen again for a long time. Especially on the vette (I know they are ongoing for other cars still).
As far as the unique factor, I have had the car for four weeks and gotten more looks than in the 6 years I had my Firebird, and in the two years I drove my Jeep CJ5 (now that was fun!).
This car is something really different. The power and handling is always there. No where near luxury car smooth, but smoother than my Firebird ever was.
It is the first thing people say when they ride in it. They were expecting like no shocks, but they are all happy - and many of them are luxury car fans.
I have yet to regret the decision. What a wonderful car. Did I mention that it is my only transportation?? No problems so far with rain or anything else. Of course, there hasn't been much here yet (while I have had it), but it should be good enough.

If price isn't too bad of a problem go with an '02. I am not dissapointed in spending the extra money for the features - I figure I could have saved just under 10k if I had gone with an '01. And it will help resale later (much later).
Good luck, and enjoy the hunt. It is part of the fun.
Beware the guys here. They will get you into all sorts of trouble. Buying all these parts..... Taking random pictures with banners..... :D
It is so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!

chris

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Don't Settle

Hello FiveO

Get the Z, read on....

Long history of wanting a vette but kids and finances delayed it.

In June 2000 I bought a 1986 Black Vert. Nice car, but I settled due to the cost of a C5. The C4 didn't do it for very long.

In November 2000 I bought a 1998 Black Coupe. Huge improvement over the 86. Loved the car, but again I settled. I knew the Z06 was what I really wanted but...

The extra money
The stick shift in traffic
The wife didn't think it was worth it

In November 2001 I finally got my dream, a Black Z06. The car flat ROCKS!!! Handling, aceleration, ride, looks, on and on.

Point of the story, I spent thousands that I didn't need to by settling for something less than I really wanted and having to trade up.

Sure the payments will be more, but you will really have want you want a Kick Ass Z06 :D :D :D :D

J

·
0 Posts
Re: Don't Settle

Rollin Black said:
Hello FiveO

Get the Z, read on....

Long history of wanting a vette but kids and finances delayed it.

In June 2000 I bought a 1986 Black Vert. Nice car, but I settled due to the cost of a C5. The C4 didn't do it for very long.

In November 2000 I bought a 1998 Black Coupe. Huge improvement over the 86. Loved the car, but again I settled. I knew the Z06 was what I really wanted but...

The extra money
The stick shift in traffic
The wife didn't think it was worth it

In November 2001 I finally got my dream, a Black Z06. The car flat ROCKS!!! Handling, aceleration, ride, looks, on and on.

Point of the story, I spent thousands that I didn't need to by settling for something less than I really wanted and having to trade up.

Sure the payments will be more, but you will really have want you want a Kick Ass Z06 :D :D :D :D
As an owner of a 99 C5 thats a very fast good handling car..the zo6 has a special quality that is beyond just the horsepower..theres a special balance that just doesn't exist in the standard C5..remember its not the extra power..its the package balance thats the key in your purchase. You will not regret getting the ZO6..think of it as a matter of how many years you will own this world renowned sports car..ITS NOT LIKE THE EARLY C4 Z51 SUSPENSION PACKAGE THAT THE PRESS RAPED ONCE THEY GOT THE 1984 ON THE STREETS...

If your buying new...Get the zo6..there won't be financing packages on the vette again but you know what..the price will be more negotiable.

In the end..the out of pocket will be so close to the same.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Get the Z. If you like performance, and don't get the Z, you will regret it later. If you have concerns about noise and roughness, either test drive one, or find a member in your area who'll take you for a ride. I've found the Z to be very well-behaved, considering its performance. It's much quieter and 'feels' better on the road than my '93 coupe. Of course, it's much noiser and stiffer on the road than my grocery-getter ('93 Intrepid), but that's why I bought it.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Go for the Z!! :yeadog: You will never regret the decision :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts