Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay the white Z06 I researched, and read the carfax report and all that jazz. Now what do you guys honestly think of this. The car was wrecked yes, hit on the left side, no frame damage or motor damage of any sort. Basically cosmetic stuff, rear bumper cracked some, most panleing on left side destroyed. They fully restored it and all looks perfect on the exterior. They gave me before pictures of the car when it was wrecked and before they repaired it, and then gave me pictures of when it was completed. The car looks done accordingly.

My dilemma is this. I won't settle for anything other than a Speedway White Z06 really. I've wanted it since the day I saw the white ones. White is my favorite color on this car and pretty much every other car. It looks too good on the Vette to pass up. Now...I think that honestly, this may be worth it to me, it's what I want, yes it was in an accident, but no SERIOUS damage that wasn't repairable. I do know no car runs same as factory ever, and all that as well. This deal just is pretty good. Motor only has 21,000 on it and the car itself is only $23,900. Money is a big deal on my Z purchase as well.

Is it worth shelling out 28-30k for an 01 of another color vice white that wasn't ever hit. Or worth saving the 4-6 grand, and getting the color I truly desire...

what would y'all advise. I'm dying here haha

PICTURES ON PAGE 2 OF WRECK

-chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and another thing is, the dealer is a corvette only dealership, they're very up front about the car's history and they warranty the car for 12 months/ 18,000 miles. Or you can get a 3yr warranty with them as well for a bit extra on the pricetag. it may be worth saving a few grand and buying this Z06, then spending the extra few 4-5k in making sure she's perfect :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
My only worry at this point is that Carfax mentioned it was totalled/salvaged...

Somebody mentioned in the other thread that it doesn't take much to total a Z, but I don't totally agree with this... My understanding is that "totaled" means it costs more or close to the current value of the car to repair it, and $23k-$28k is a lot of repairs!!!

Often, what will cost a lot of money is frame damage. The guy told you there were none, but I wouldn't trust a dealership's word on this...

I know how you feel about wanting a Z really bad, and nobody can talk you out of buying one if you have your mind set to it.

But I just want you to know that although you think such a deal will never show up again, it's not the case! The new C6 Z06 is about to come out, and I believe many current Z owners (yes, including those 2001 SW as well :D) will appear more regularly on the used car market.

Bottom line: I personally would never ever buy a car knowing it's been previously totaled.

Anyway, good luck, and the final decision is all yours!

:cheers:
Geoff

·
Registered
299 Posts
For what it's worth, The Corvette is a repairable car. But if you are looking at a salvage title there will be no resale value or trade in value on this car when you want to trade or sell. Now if you are going to but it for life or convert to a race car maybe it's OK. But for now think about the resale value and the fact that the new Z06 will be out this fall and that is going to have some sort of effect on current pricing.

Tony #54

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
ELF Z06 said:
For what it's worth, The Corvette is a repairable car. But if you are looking at a salvage title there will be no resale value or trade in value on this car when you want to trade or sell. Now if you are going to but it for life or convert to a race car maybe it's OK. But for now think about the resale value and the fact that the new Z06 will be out this fall and that is going to have some sort of effect on current pricing.

Tony #54
I have to agree with what Tony said...... :jammin:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Even if the car has a clear title you will NOT be happy! Anybody with sharp eyes will beable to see repl. parts on the car. Stay away any accident car, look for a low mile jewel and spend the extra$$$. Be Happy is the key. :jammin:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wouldn't settle for it, keep on looking. Regardless of the selling price now, being damaged like that will only present problems for the future owner, including resale. The car you really want is out there and is worth the extra money.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, this car will be bought for the long-haul. I plan to never sell the Vette if I buy one ever. That is true though about the new Z06 coming out soon. I made a smaller offer for the white one of 20,000 flat to see what they would say about it considering the wreck and stuff. Considering the car and mileage and it runs accordingly and all, 20k isnt too bad I don't really think. If they don't take it oh well. I'll find another Z or a different color. White is my desire, however all other colors are options because I do really want a Z no matter what. The other good thing is, they do warranty their work for 4 years/xxx miles. So that's a good thing really. I plan to get car inspected by a mechanic thoroughly and all leak checks etc. tested before buyin it just in case as I would with any vehicle.

·
Registered
806 Posts
:mug: Go to the dealership and inspect the car throughly! Drive the vehicle, make sharp turns L&R, test all door functions and also have them perform a water test to check for leaks, basically, throughly inspect EVERYTHING! If you are satisfied with the repairs, get the best warranty available. $23,900 is not a bad starting point but I would talk them down a bit. It's kinda hit or miss with a repaired vehicle, sometimes you make out and sometimes you get ripped off. If your happy with it, that's all that matters! Good Luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did just run across an 02 black for only 29,900 OBO. Seems like a really good deal. But it should be going for 32+ really shouldn't it. Even though it has 33k miles...I dunno. that mileage is about normal I guess for a daily driven vehicle.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i say get a professional opinion.take it to someone who knows what to look for as far as frame damage etc.tell them what happened to the car.bottom line is if you are going to keep this car & drive it & it's exactly what you want & in good condition w/a warranty-what's the big deal?the price leaves a lot of room for mods! :lol: :thumb:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats the other thing. the cheap price leaves room for extra money for mods/making her run even better if anything ...that was another good point my g/f just showed me...hehe

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
A Professional Appraisal is a good idea. Does the car currently have or had a salvage or rebuilt title? If it did I would not touch it. :cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It does have a rebuilt title by state of Pennsylvania. Dealer owner is a corvette only dealer/owner himself, and has been driving car for 2-3 months now since repairs. it runs perfect he says and there wasnt ever any motor damage or anything.

another thing is, down the road this car is going to be heavily modified...and if it is,. ill e changing the motor to the 427 C5R motor etc anyways, as well as doing the rollcage, frame work to make her fully capable of dragstripping.

Might be worth it just to take the bait on this car for such a good price and invest the other $5-10k into modifications/ better repairs etc if any are necessary in the end ya know

the guy said it did get a re-title though because carfax reported it totaled. but they showed me pics of before repair/after repair with all frame exposed etc. only panel damaging and bumper/fender ripping basically. car looked to be okay for the most part. i dont plan on ever selling this car so resale value is not a problem for me.

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Sounds like your trying to convince yourself it's worth it. Consensus is to stay away from a rebuilt-salvage-junk etc. and I also agree with that.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
bobby778 said:
Just buy what you want,you have gotten plenty of advise.
Good Advise :yeadog:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I wouldn't buy it. I had an '02 that had a minor parking lot injury, was repaired VERY well. But I knew it had the damage, and I could tell it had been repaired (although nobody else could tell). It bugged me so much I traded it in for an IDENTICAL '03 Z. If you're going to spend your money, get something pristine to start with. Paint one white if you have to to get the look you want. Just my $.02. Drew

·
Registered
968 Posts
My last advise and this goes to anyone in the VA. area. Stay away from any 01 white Z06s!! This may be the one your looking at. This is a no-brainer!!! :roll:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts