Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Funny you should mention this, because if memory serves me correctly, the General was going to put those pads on the 01 Z06, but switched at the last minute due to brake dust and noise concerns. They are the "track" pads, and probably won't last as long as the 01 pads, but are more resistant to fade on the track.
Therfore, if you autocross or roadrace the car the 02 pads or similar will prove better.

If you just drive the car for pleasure, I would go with the 01 pads, they are a good compromise. :D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have never had brakes that make dust like these do, I am changing them when I put my new rotors on, I will switch to Hawks like my convertible has, they work very well with much less dust.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I've been thinking about switching

That dust is a major PITA. From talking to '01 owners though, they say they have it bad too. The stuff goes everywhere, especially around the rear tail lights.

I think I will keep mine for now; the brakes work so great on the car. As far as washing though, I am going to stop fighting the wheels with soap and water and get some spray on wheel cleaner. That stuff works wonders.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The two things I have to do after EVERY ride are bug removal and wheel cleaning. Even light driving to and from work leaves the wheels filthy. It's easy enough to see why they used that color on the wheels. It's called 'Magnetic Brake Dust' :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Jerry Velders said:
The two things I have to do after EVERY ride are bug removal and wheel cleaning. Even light driving to and from work leaves the wheels filthy. It's easy enough to see why they used that color on the wheels. It's called 'Magnetic Brake Dust' :)
Me too except, I use Z6 after EVERY ride:D

BTW, my last car with Brembos was way worse, and right after I had them installed, I needed them:eek: and I am here to tell you, that without those upgraded brakes, I would not be here to tell you;)

Brake dust is a small price to pay for EXTREME safety, and I for one am willing to frequently clean the car rather than not be able to stop that one time....IMHO :cheers:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My expereince and sentiments are the same as most of yours. Lots of brake dust that is a PITA, but fantastic brake performance. Wheels are dirty after even brief trips, which is why I may not go the polished or chrome route. The stock wheels hide brake dust better IMHO.

·
Registered
568 Posts
A good friend of mine was a brake development engineer for several years at one of the big three. He was the main guy who brought the 'vette brakes to the Mustang.

You can't believe how many factors they look at when evaluating pad compounds. I can list a lot of them, but this post would get too long and I'm not sure anyone cares.

The pads *all* have tradeoffs. There is no perfect pad. Your personal preferences mean that you may want a very different pad than the next forum member.

My buddy still likes the same pads I do for the street and track - Performance Friction 90 compound. The dust is grey in color, so it isn't too bad. They make more dust when cold than when hot. They wear faster on the street than the track. Minimal rotor wear. Good feel.

With big slicks on a heavy braking road course and seriously hard driving, I tend to prefer the 93 compound (I believe that's what the CART guys are still running). But they are not for the street - they tend to crack when used at low temps and would probably wear quickly at low temps, and they were pricey last time I bought them. But man, do they ever get it done on the track!

I agree with their decision to put the dusty, but more effective, pads on the 2002 Z. This is the performance flagship, and brake performance should take priority over brake dust. Wear that dust like a badge of honor ;) The 2001 Z already out-brakes the flagship Porsche - I wonder how the 2002 does, numbers-wise?

When I spoke with my buddy yesterday, he related that the current 'vette calipers are awesome. His source says they aren't much short of the super pricey brembo/AP calipers.

I can't wait to get my car and start playing with the brakes. But since I want to keep the car stock for Solo II, the temptation and challenge to try and do a sanely priced 14" rotor setup is going to be tough to resist. Having a lathe and a CNC mill in the garage does not make resisting any easier.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, the 2002 pads seem to produce a lot of dust, but I agree with BrianK that brake performance should take priority over dusting. These brakes are great. I cannot believe how little pedal effort produces so much braking. Fantastic really. I will probably continue to use the same pads at replacement time if they are not too abrasive on the rotors.

Are the 2002 pads ceramic? How much will they shorten rotor life?

Love this car! :D

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Could be a lot worse.........

They could have designed them like the Beemer's, and Merc's...........
When you need new pads........you get to buy NEW ROTORS......
They designed them to wear faster than the pads..............
Hello wallet!!!!!!!!!!$$$$$$$$$$:eek:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Info on this issue

H ithere,
When ZO6 was first released for the 02 model year, Chevrolet dealers on the VME network were issued a notice by Dave Peacy, brand quality manager for Corvette.
It basically said, 'If a customer is not satisfied with the 02 brake dust, due to the revised compund, then 01 pads can be installed.'
Then later, when I saw him at Carlisle for the first time, he was very interested to know I already had 7 complaints. Although, all the customers felt it was a fair trade off, they noted it.
Mark M, senior engineer at the plant also was listening with great interest.
Although, I have not heard of any revised pad, they were talking about what to do about it. I have not heard anything yet, but if I do, I will keep you all posted.
All I know is I can really brake deep into a corner, better than with -1 pads, and I LOVE IT.
Best to all, c4c5

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'm also more than willing to live with the dust. The brakes are AWESOME .. a little dust can be removed.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I cannot believe how little pedal effort produces so much braking.
I noticed that on the 2001 I drove, but have not driven a 2002.

On that car, I thought the brakes were over-boosted.

A lot of modern cars have very touchy brakes by virtue of a big booster. As we know, touchy does not equal 'good'.

The government actually regulates the amount of pedal effort required to stop the car.

On my track car, I run a large diameter master cylinder and very little boost assist. The pedal is rock solid. It provides a good consistent platform for heel'n toe downshifting.

I'm sure I will get used to whatever level of boost my 2002 presents, but I may tune that through pad selection. The Performance Friction 90 compound will be first on my list, and then the Hawks :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you think the brake dust is bad, you should drive down my driveway. :D It is rock dust and kicks up at any speed.

But who cares? I didn't buy this car to be a beauty queen. :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts