Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out last night cruzing in my Z06. It was about 55 degrees out and dry. This car is a monster! 1st and 2nd gears get no traction when floored.

The thing that I was thinking was this thing is already a challenge to drive fast. In my 99 coupe, when I floored it in 2nd, it would chirp and then move. This thing just shreds the tires :D . The problem is you can't just floor it, you have to learn how much power to apply. What is going to happen if you add more power, even through a new intake. I don't think that it is going to do me any good in 1st or 2nd gear now. I am guessing that 3rd through 6th is where it will actually help you move quicker. It seems that more power for 1st and 2nd would be a real challenge to handle. I feel like I am driving a Viper.

I love this car! :D :D

- Charley

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Too much power ? Is that anything like having too much fun?

·
Registered
391 Posts
How about this: I was talking to the guy at Stratmosphere and he said that he got to drive a viper with the Hennessey package on it. He said that he could not keep from spinning the tires everywhere he went.

My question: Hennessey in a Viper? Holy crap I would be scared to death to start it.

That is more power than should be allowed. IMHO

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Too much power? NO SUCH THING!!!:cheers: :D :z:
That's like too much sex, money, friends love, etc.......
Put some good stuff on that bad boy!!!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Too much power

My '01, pulled a 346.8, 345 tq on a dyno jet...248c.........
If I stop the auto, and put it in first, on an asphalt (fresh, or concrete) road surface it will NOT spin the wheels......in 1st, or 2nd......from a dead idle condition.

If the '02's..........will do this AT will, and on any surface, I have to wonder,,,,,,,,,,is there any way, less than 20 HP @ the rear wheels can/could nake THIS much difference????????

I cannot see how.........

Opinions, please.........
Sitting the rpm's at 2-3k, and then dumping it, will get them rolling prety quick..........

But, not from a dead idle stomp it...........

What is the experiences of others woith '01's, v.s. '02's........
We already know, our better drivers, are doing quicker ET's with the '01's..............

Time will tell on the '02's..........couldn't do anything but get / be better with sasme drivers.........

The power/torque issue between the two, is minimal at best........
and the track #'s prove this out.............

So, any ideas as to why my '01 seems to be a dog.........compared to the wheelspinng monster '02's..........?????

I am a bit concerned.................pls advise:-?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Too much power

ZO6LS6 said:
My '01, pulled a 346.8, 345 tq on a dyno jet...248c.........
If I stop the auto, and put it in first, on an asphalt (fresh, or concrete) road surface it will NOT spin the wheels......in 1st, or 2nd......from a dead idle condition.

Sitting the rpm's at 2-3k, and then dumping it, will get them rolling prety quick..........

But, not from a dead idle stomp it...........

I don't hammer it much right off the line. I usually put the pedal down at 2-3k, so it sounds similar to what you are experiencing.

Do any cars spin the tires at idle?

- Charley

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Charley

I think, (from what little I know), that these cars have such humongous tires......and great traction, it's is a plus that they DO NOT.

As I have posted on a nother forum, & possibly here.......we have Ric, & Ranger......both with basically stock '01's............

Putting down numbers .2-.4/10th's.......BETTER, than guys running the same Z06's with an extra 100-150 HP .............

Bottom line, they can't hook, and/or, are not near the drivers these two masters are/ have become...........and really, probably a combo of BOTH..........

I was having a kind of similar discusssion with Ric(Power Shifter) on another forum about the 60's cars he & I were used to.........

Bottom line, the 60's era cars had HELL bent for humongous TORQUE.........only NO way to get it down, with the crappy rubber of that day.........

The new Z's........are WAY faster top end, and are AS fast with a lot less HP than their earlier counterparts.........

They go faster, quicker, and SMOOTHER..........and this is the key.......
Perception of speed or (SOTP), is different........

But, you do NOT get the NECK snapping power of the TORQUE produced by the monsters of old............:D

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I must agree. Ranger, Powershifter and the other cats out there really must have their act together on driving the Z. My hat goes off to them. All of my drag cars (Camaros and Novas) up till this point have been automatics. I am nowhere near the 60' those guys are (yet :) ) But you are right, they react different, and the characteristics of the motor are much different than the Z

The Z makes good power, it makes decent torque. But it really shines up top. Older big block cars, muscle cars, Vipers, all make good HP, but they also in many cases made boatloads of torque.

The power delivery in the Z is smoother and doesn't drive you back into your seat like other cars I have driven. I thought the car was slow until I ran it at the track the first time.

Just as an example my buddy owns a 88 Callaway. Which is rated at 380hp/560 LbFt Torque. So, HP wise it should be like a '01 Z car. But riding in the car is a totally different experience. This thing just pulls like a freight train. Doesn't make any noise, you have to shift at 4500. And when you roll into it, it squishes you back in the seat, hard.

But, my stock '02 will light up the tires fairly freely. But the key is not to do that, unless of course you are trying to. Obviously we can all agree that is not the way to beat the guy next to you. But it is fun. And as fun as it is, I am certainly ready and anticipating finding more power to play with.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Too Much Power?

"If some is good, and more is better........ then too much is just right!"

ZIPPY :D :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
My 02' will break the tires loose at a traffic light with only moderate pedal. If I get on it, Trac Con. has hard time in first and second. If I turn it off... forget it.
no mods so far, Blackwing waiting.

·
Registered
568 Posts
More power *definitely* makes any car harder to autocross fast..

One really important thing about the C5:

Throttle By wire (TBW)

An electric signal from the pedal is translated into some quantity of throttle opening.

On trucks, I always felt that GM was pushy with their initial tip in. So just touching the pedal a little resulted in a fair bit of throttle blade opening. This made the vehicles 'seem' faster, but more difficult to handle off the line in slippery conditions.

This is tricky stuff. A luxury car must be easy to accelerate Smoothly.. Mercedes does this *extremely* well and is an industry benchmark. You wouldn't believe how much time the big 3 spend evaluating and testing this.

On most vehicles, I've found that accelerating in 5th gear from low RPM doesn't require much pedal travel to achieve max accel. Pushing the pedal a little (say 25%) gives the same acceleration as putting to the floor (because WOT does not help when air demand is low).

When I test drove a 2001 Z06 and did the same thing, I felt that they had spread the available torque over the entire range of pedal travel. My friend's TBW Audi has the same behavior. I've driven that Audi a lot, the Z06 only a few miles.

There is an excellent article on this subject in the current issue of Race Car Engineering that discusses TBW in the context of Forumla 1.

They emphasize the advantage that TBW provides in hiding dips or peaks in the torque curve.

The 2002 Z06 could have a different TBW calibration than the 2001. That calibration could tend to cause a bit more wheel spin and generally make the car stronger.

I can easily imagine the testers saying "well, it doesn't feel that much faster than the 2001. Let's play with the TBW calibration and give it a little oomph".

TBW is *awesome*. You guys are probably aware that the LS6 gives up torque to the LS1 below 4500 (I believe that is the breakpoint). The TBW calibration can be tweaked to cover up some of that in the LS6.

It will be interesting to see whether the ECU programmers that are supposed to soon become available will allow the TBW to be calibrated differently.

·
Registered
288 Posts
To much power????

As many have already mentioned.........to much/ power......
thats like an oxi-moron
But ...there is a such thing as a loss of traction.
2 things..... First, you could look into a set of BF- Goodrich drag radials (great traction.....sacrafice handling) I did witness a modified Zr1 go 11...teens on these tires w/ minimal loss of traction.
.....second, if one were looking into an air intake, it probably wouldn't effect how much the tires spin.....because ...for the most part, it helps the engine breath at higher rpm......hopefully after you gain traction..... A few years ago when I had my 30th annv. camaro i replaced my factory air box with a cold-air set up (I know this is a ruff comparison but the camaro did have a good amount of power ....12.9's on drag radials...many other mods) Most of these mods helped out in the mid to peak power range. This dramatically increases your MPH in the quarter (which is a reflection of hp) not so much your e.t. (this is a reflection of how well the car works and the amount of torqe the engine is pushing) From what I've seen, something as simple as a air intake wouldn't effect your traction problem that much. These cars were made to hook up (unlike my camaro).....plus they could handle the extra hp out-put. experiment w/ some mod's.

mike

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Mine lights 'em up as soon as I raise the garage door!:lol: Don't even have to put the key in the ignition. :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
too much power

...either lighten your foot, or do like i did in my mustang, put temporary weight in the rear, on this car may help hook up and 1/8 mile et?? anyone try??:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts