Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted back in July that I made two runs to rev limiter in 5th and that the speedo showed 177 mph. On the way to Route 66 last week, I compared my speedo to GPS at 60, 80, and 100 mph and it showed my speedo was dead on. I assume it would also have shown it dead on at 177, but maybe there is some tire growth at that speed. I was hoping my speedo read slow so I could have claimed to belong to the 180 club. Oh well, 177 will suffice.:D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I was going to take my convertible out and try to beat the 177 mark I ran twice, but with the new owner coming to pick the car up Saturday, I thought it was smarter to keep it in the garage until he comes. :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Only 177??? Take that block of wood out from under your gas pedal.:D :D :D :D
One Seventy-Seven ain't One Eighty. Bet it's the tires.
Bob

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The Z06 speedo does seem to be very accurate from the factory, but Rippied may be a LBA180 club member and not even know it. :p

Beyond "100", the speedo goes to a x2 linear scale. I wonder if that affects accuracy at higher speeds? Not to mention tire growth gets more pronounced at higher speed. Also, the exact rpm where the revlimiter kicks in may be subject to some debate. It should be 6600 but many dyno graphs I've seen show slight plus or minus variations.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Where

Where can I drive my car that fast, in a 'safe' environment? I mean legal, with the proper equipment, on a track, with some tight underwear. Where is this place? Anywhere in the northeast?

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Frank, Susan managed not to scream at that speed, or was it that I couldn't hear her. :lol: Proexpert, where can that be done in a safe environment? Beats me. ;)

Carl, wise man. :cheers:

·
Registered
262 Posts
The fastest I have had my 01 ( basically stock ) Z06 was 170 mph. I was still picking up speed at a good rate and was not yet on the rev limiter.:cool: I think I would have also seen in the area of 177 at the top of 5 th.

Not that I am suggesting that anyone try, but will the car pull in 6 th gear? I felt like it could had by the rate of speed increase in 5 th. I also thought the car was limited to 171mph:-?

To be honest, I never intended to go this fast. I was being peer pressured by a new 250K Ferrari driven by an experienced road racer. The Z06 got up to speed very fast from a 80 mph. That Ferrari is some pretty. looked great in the rear view mirror:p .

JOSE
PS It was a good open road but still stupid.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Top Speed

What is amazing about the Z06 is not just the top speed of this car, but how fast it gets to it. After my 500 mile break in period (510) I ran her through the gears to 167Mph in fifth. The car was still climbing but I slowed down because of cars in the distance. I have read that top speed is supposed to be 171MPH, but the way this thing was still climbing it feels like it will do more. Has anybody had their Z (bone stock) over 171MPH?

Carzzy

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
A guy that I work with has a Yamaha R6. Seems to be very fast. I know its only a 600. WE went for a top speed run late night about 2am on the way home from work. We started at about 80 and he could never pass me. I was pulling away each time and the most I got was 165 before I ran out of straight road. He said his digital speedo says 169 so I don't know whos was off. I was outside today with a few other coworkers when the driver of the R6 came out, we where looking at his bike. I was looking at the back of it. I said to him "So this is what the back of your bike looks like" :p :D

·
Registered
3,709 Posts

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
WOW!

That is a awful set of pics! Makes U think how fast it can happen to any one of us! I try my best to save it for the track.....speakin of which...last weekend at Summit Point VA there were 7 cars in my C5 class with race tires, 2 2001 Z06's and a 2002. Needless to say, the '02 came in 1st, and the other '01 & I swapped seconds all weekend.. the other C5's were a bit behind. :eek:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
GMBlack3:

Can't believe you raced anything at night, let alone a motorcycle.....what would you have done if an animal ran across the road? Another vehicle was broken down on the road? A chunk of car bumper, muffler, etc was laying on the road? Ever hear of "overdriving the headlights? :eek:

Have fun, but drive safely! :cheers:

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I've been preaching the merits of Open Road Racing events for years and frankly NOBODY is listening. These events have been taking place annually in Nevada for many years. They are for ordinary people with fast cars to drive them at high speed in a relatively SAFE environment.

Irresponsible drivers need not apply, as there are safety rules and some restriction as to just how fast a car can be driven, depending on whether or not a roll cage is installed. To keep nut cases away, in order to enter, several hundred dollars in fees must be paid in advance.

A factory stock Z06 would be "tech'd" to 160 with the addition of a harness bar for 5 pt. safety belts and portable fire extinquisher mounted in the car.

The idea is to "average" a set speed targeted from 95 to 160 mph. Drivers compete against each other (not head to head) at a target speeds, running one by one down a closed course rural highway (normal speed limit 70 mph) and each class is separated at 5 mph increments. Passing is allowed but if everyone runs close to their target, you'll hardly ever encounter another car on course and even if you do, passing is just like on the freeway.

I have personally entered my C4s in several Nevada ORR events over the years and they were all a blast. I particularly like the Pony Express held in Northern Nevada, hosted by the Classic Auto Racing Society. They conduct the event down Nevada hwy SR305 over a distance of ~85 miles. Just enough for one tank of gas driving at high speed.

If interested a lot of advance planning (and preparation) is key to successful completion of an event. Not to mention for many they must commit to a week away from work and round trip drive to and from Nevada on vacation. Trust me, it's worth it!!!!

I sincerely hope the economy bounces back by next Spring and these events continue to take place. This years events were fairly sparsely attended and at least one in September was cancelled due to lack of sufficient entries to insure the organizers don't lose money.

It would be great to see other Z06s in Nevada and for all who are interested in speed events to meet at the Pony Express next year as sort of a Z06vette.com annual event. In June there was only one '01 Z06 (speedway white), who came all the way from Florida to enter. I was there in my LT4 to support the event and help out the organizers. Just being a spectator was a lot of fun and I got to operate a radar station about mid course logging the speeds of all the cars as they went by at their tech speeds.

Next year I plan to take my Z06 out there to stretch it's legs. :)

Just think for an opportunity to run your Z06 LEGALLY, in relative safety, flat out at nearly three times the national speed limit for 85 miles. SR305 is truly a beautiful, high desert, rural highway with many long straight as far as the eye can see, ideal for this kind of speed event.

I guarantee EVERYONE who attends one of these events a truly great time with your car.

For more info, goto: www.openroadracing.com

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ds, I've always wanted to run in an open wheel event but until last year, they were all too far away (now there is one in Neb.). One issue I have had with these events is the fee and speed limits. I hit 160 mph on a local road course lap after lap and only pay $100 for the day. Doing over 200 miles on the track for the $100 is no problem. I think the open road races need to ease up on the tech speed for the given safety equipment. Bursts to top speed should be allowed for the fee they charge. Heck, what are waivers for? ;)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Rippied, the fees to enter an ORR are rather steep. I agree. A lot of the money goes to pay for the road closure, the city and county services (police, road blocks, etc), plus the ambulances, and airplane/helo survelliences. It takes over 100 "gate" guard and course workers to put on one of these events and they are all non-paid volunteers. The cost of motel rooms, travel expense and food for the organizers. It all adds up. I was told they need ~70 paid entries just to break even. These events usually take place over a period of 3 days.

The Pony Express has one day dedicated to a practice and qualification session. You could probably get in about 100 miles of high speed driving just doing the practice session . . . the fee for that is $50 per car. Those sessions are where driving your car for a quick burst up to top speed seem to be less restricted.

The Nebraska ORR, as far as I know, limits cars to 120 mph and is more for the neophyites at doing this kind of things.

The only thing I will add is all of the ORR venues I participated at, such as the Pony Express and Silver State Classic in Nevada, seem much more "friendly" oriented, ie. social events, and thus far less competitive and/or intimidating than what people normally find at track events. Also, most tracks don't have long enough straights to get up anywhere near top speed and even if they did, it is just for a couple seconds at most. That's pretty short lived and hectic, if all you want to do is open 'er up and see what she'll do in a totally non-threatening environment. At all of these ORR events In Nevada, everyone who enters a street car, will have about 30 minutes to "continuously" drive at high speed without worrying about other cars getting in their way.

BTW, most track events that I've heard about cost about the same as a first timer ORR entry fee. Also, the cost of wear and tear to your car, like brakes and tires, IMHO, are a major cost factor on the track. Other than a good set of speed rated tires, which will last for several seasons of ORRing, there are generally less costly maintenance requirement to participate in ORR events unless you are entering in the unlimited speed category.

Finally, the major advantage of ORRing is that you can share the experience with another person driving in the same car. Virtually all track events, at least those of a purely competitive nature, passengers are not allowed. However, passengers are allowed at ORRing events and add greatly to their appeal. Passengers, called "navigators", contribute to the overall safety of the event.

Again, ORRing tends to be more of an opportunity for a social occasion. Most people who attend are just out to have a good time centered around driving their cars fast legally without having to have "race" driver training or track experience for the sake of the priviledge. In other words, if you own a fast car, but are either too old or too chicken to put it to test on a real race track, in terms of having a thrilling driving experience, the ORR venue may be a good alternative.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts