Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fittings that Goodridge provides have quite a bit less thread on them than the original Banjo bolts do. The GM service manual suggests that the inlet fittings be torqued to 30 ft-lbs. Given that I am going into an aluminum caliper, an I don't feel like screwing it up, I was wondering how much you crank down on the crush washers.

Bonus question: The GM service manual suggests that the rotor bracket bolts (on the front) be replaced when you change the rotors. They are 10.9 hardened bolts, torqued to 125 ft-lbs. Replacing them every time you change rotors seems a bit excessive, what do you T1 guys do?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Goodridge AN Fitting & Brake Caliper Bolts

For the Goodridge AN Fittings bolts questions, I suggest you contact Mallet at: Mallett Cars, LTD.
484 Geiger St.
Berea, OH 44017
440-243-8550 (voice)
440-243-6211 (fax)
E-Mail (tech): [email protected]

They sell the AN fitted Goodridge lines and from everything I've read here about them they would be helpful even if you didn't purchase through them.

For the caliper bolts, try a search on this forum for "Caliper Bolts". The concensus appears to be that you can reuse the original 10.9 bolts. I track my '02 Z and on my first rotor change I used new bolts because the GM service manual emphasizes that NEW bolts are required. Some posts maintain that GM states this because they are concerned that the old bolts will be improperly installed either without thread locker or without cleaning so improper torque readings result. I'd like to see a calculation of what tension the spec'd torque produces vs. the bolt proof load to see if this is why GM advises new bolts are required.

On my recent rotor change, I reused the "old" bolts after cleaning them thoroughly and applying red high temperature thread locker. Based on the number of folks out there who have reused the old bolts many times, I think I'll be ok.

Maybe DJ Worm, Subdriver and other forum members more experienced than I am will respond.

Regards

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Use the required torque specs.

Always use a NEW Copper crush washer. DO NOT reuse these. Have extras in your tool kit.

The caliper bolts and the caliper bracket bolts are Aluminum torque to yield, one time use only. I and many racers that did not have access to extra bolts and had to do an emergency brake job at the track have reused the bolts after proper cleaning and reapplication of red lock tite sealant, with no problems.

However they need to be changed out the next time.

I am developing a reusable Titanium bolt set to replace these bolts. A touch heavier but stronger and less heat transfer.

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
When I did my brakes, I went to the dealer to buy a new set.

There were nowhere to be found. I had to next day them in from out of state.

I asked, well what happens when a car is in for service? Answer: They just put the same bolts back on. :screwy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts