Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did two track days at Streets of Willow. 20 minute sessions. About 4 sessions each day.
My first opinion of these tires on the city streets were better traction then my Kumho mx tires. Just a few on ramps and very little time in the canyons.

On the track, my first impression were that they suck big time. I felt like I had 4 flat tires. Started with 31 psi cold, went to 42 psi hot. The whole time with 4 feeling flat tires. Grip was okay.

After 2 days with them, I ended up with 37 psi hot all the way around. Corner traction is a little better then my Kumho mx tires and no better in braking. 50% of tire is worn out. Kumho's would be about 20% worn out in comparison.
The flat tire feeling did go away after about 2 sessions with them.

My Kumho sizes were 295/35/18. 285/40/17
Toyo RA1 were 305/35/18. 275/40/17

Overall review. Not much better at twice the wear.

Would not buy these again. Going back to the Kumho mx tires.

For autocross go with the Kumho V710's much better grip.

Steve

·
Registered
149 Posts
wow, something's not right. perhaps your tire pressure or alignment was not optimal. kuhmo mx is not even that good of a regular tire, while ra1's are an r-compound.

also did u get the toyo's shaved or full tread?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RA1 Not shaved. Toyo's are a little better, but they cost more and wear out twice as fast. I always liked the Kumho mx tires and after this experience I like them even more. If this was a race or timed event, I would just put on Kumho V710's.

Steve

·
Registered
154 Posts
Kumho's are good tires. And especially for the price.

·
Registered
891 Posts
This is a a surprise to me. Everything I have heard and read about the RA-1 has been excellent. In fact, I have some brand new RA-1 at home waiting for their first DE.

Could the problem be the larger size of the RA-1s on the stock rims?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob said:
This is a a surprise to me. Everything I have heard and read about the RA-1 has been excellent. In fact, I have some brand new RA-1 at home waiting for their first DE.

Could the problem be the larger size of the RA-1s on the stock rims?
Let's us know what you think.
I don't think it's the rim size. The fronts I run Kumho 285/40/17 so that's even widder then the RA1 fronts. These are on stock Z06 rims. For autocross I run 315/35/18 for the rear and they hook up great.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts