Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am looking to get some TPIS headers, X pipe, and 3" Random cats in the very near future. What are your thoughts on this setup? What rwhp/rwtq #'s might I expect with a retune? Current #'s and mods in my sig. I wish I could hit the 400rwhp, but not really sure. Any feedback is appreciated! :thumb:

Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If your not going to run a H/C pkg, then I think they would be ok, don't think you will hit the 400 mark.

That is the same setup I have on my car, problem is that it hurts the rwtq.. If you think your going to do more mod's I would go with the Kook's and use the RT cats.

That's my next mod is to change out the Headers. But then again I'm no expert.

Just a thought..

Ernie

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Good advice, Ernie.
02Black, call Myron Cottrell, a super dude of the first order, @ TPIS and tell him what you have and where you may go as far as mods, and he'll NOT steer you wrong. He does "tunes" as well so his advice extends well beyond "tubes". The RT 3" cats serve us well on our Project One Lapper, which now is a hybrid intercooled 346 TT from LPE. 3" w/X-pipe in your current configuration WILL sacrifice some rwt. They'll "pass gas" just fine for you...

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
RobGrnfld said:
TPIS headers might just fool you regarding rwtq #'s. I'm runnin' that setup and with a "small" cam (MTI C2) my most current dyno pull was 423rwtq.
What setup did you have when you pulled that 450 RWHP in your sig? Those are the kind numbers I'm shooting for.

D.J.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Rob:
NORMALLY, big cats 'n x-pipe WILL sacrifice a small amount of rwt. There are exceptions, which generally turn out to be heads and/or cam-specific...
Let the "letters" begin...

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
RobGrnfld said:
Check out my garage...all mods are listed.
That's some nice equipment. I was wondering how you picked up the extra 5 RWTQ. Did that electric water pump pick it up as well. Those are some stout numbers.

Thanks in advance

D.J.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Okay...this is just my experience with this setup. I had the TPiS (1-3/4 primary) that fed into the R/Tech 3" hi flo's with a 3" x-pipe into GHL's.
Before heads/cam I posted 385 rwhp and 375 rwtq,
After AFR/Equalizer was 491 rwhp and 421 rwtq. Tuner said the headers/cats were holding back the numbers due to size and mild steel.
Talked into switching to Kook's (1-7/8) with no cats.... with no significate change.
The TPiS system is a great system in my opinion.

LG did a test with the Random Tech's on his LT's and found only ~ 1 HP loss and .7 TQ loss by running thru them.
I think the primary tubes have more effect on the torque numbers....JME

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
That's some nice equipment. I was wondering how you picked up the extra 5 RWTQ. Did that electric water pump pick it up as well. Those are some stout numbers.

Thanks in advance

D.J.
Thanks...same mods dyno'd at same tuner (MTI). Not to steal this thread, but my point is TPIS LT headers make great hp/tq #'s with R/T x-pipe and cats.

IMO, they are just as good as the other brands...the rest depends on proper tuning.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
My '01 posted 370rwhp/369rwt with BPP, TPIS headers, stock '02 cats, Borla XR and MTI tune.

So 380 odd for an '02 seems about right - y'alls cams are worth about 10 of the 20hp gain from '01 to '02.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys! Let me try and break down all the post to help me understand.

The TPIS are good headers
The 3" RT cats will "restrict(lower)" rwtq numbers

From my experience with boost, a larger diameter exh is only good for FI. Now if I were to run a 3" X-pipe and 3" cats through the 2.5" rear section wouldnt that create "more" backpressure therefore increasing rwtq? Now if I were to run a straight pipe with no cats, that I would think would hurt my rwtq number.

Am I understanding this correctly?

I would like to break 390rwhp/375rwtq with the addition of this setup ONLY with stock TI's..........can it be done with a good tune of course? I am sure hp can be achieved but tq is the questioning factor.

:cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts