Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace my OE tires and wanted to know if the information I read on the web is correct about TPMS replacement intervals. I have read that the lithium ion batteries have a life span of about 7-10 years or ~100K miles before needing replacement. My Z has a manufacture date December of 2012. So I am about to be in that window. I have looked up the sensors online and 4 are ~$200.00 plus you have to have them paired to the DIC so the display is correct and that will also incur I am sure another charge of at least 1/2 hour of labor so the price of the tires plus all the other stuff starts to add up. Mounting and balancing tire disposal etc. Is it best to just bite the bullet and replace them now or is the life span of the sensors actually much longer than the 7-10 years I have read?

·
21,296 Posts
I have a 2008 with the original sensors and they still work fine. I need a new set of tires and will go ahead and replace when that time comes. I'm a bit of a procrastinator.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. So you can either be proactive or reactive. Seems like every time I don't do something while I was already there (putting on new tires) I get burned. I'll probably just spend the $$ and put hem on when I change shoes.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,807 Posts
I am about to replace my OE tires and wanted to know if the information I read on the web is correct about TPMS replacement intervals. I have read that the lithium ion batteries have a life span of about 7-10 years or ~100K miles before needing replacement. My Z has a manufacture date December of 2012. So I am about to be in that window. I have looked up the sensors online and 4 are ~$200.00 plus you have to have them paired to the DIC so the display is correct and that will also incur I am sure another charge of at least 1/2 hour of labor so the price of the tires plus all the other stuff starts to add up. Mounting and balancing tire disposal etc. Is it best to just bite the bullet and replace them now or is the life span of the sensors actually much longer than the 7-10 years I have read?
If you check like Amazon you can find AcDelco and other brands for like $30 each
so far less then $200
ACDelco TPMS171K Professional Tire Pressure Monitoring System Sensor

Weather temps/seasons can hinder how long the batteries can last.

I'd say change them now as in replacing tires the wheels have to be balanced now and why spend the money again to take tires off rims again to replace sensors and pay to balance again

Also GM does not use the same TPMS sensors C6s have so getting ones for C6 now while still can be found

As to "pairing" you can do that yourself

depends on the car, as Corvettes have via DIC a TPMS relearn process
Should have anyways and cheap is a electronic tool(s) to
1. wake up new sensors that are in a sleep mode to prevent battery drain
2. a tool that does the relearn process, only maybe $30

check this as example for sensors and tools or do more searched there

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-TPMS171K-Professional-Pressure-Monitoring/dp/B07CSTCJ4Z/ref=sr_1_4?crid=122CER9ANATAU&keywords=tpms+sensor&qid=1568496642&s=automotive&sprefix=tpms%2Cautomotive%2C216&sr=1-4&vehicle=2007-47-440-488--7-6-7-18769-556-3-1-2392--5&vehicleName=2007+Chevrolet+Corvette

1 - 4 of 4 Posts