Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Track encounter with 420 hp Porsche 911 TT all wheel!

2K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  EDGZ06 
#1 ·
At the BIR track yesterday lapping with us poor Corvette boys was a 911tt. In one of the afternoon run sessions, we pulled out of the pits together with me about a car length in front. As we accelerated to speed, he was hanging pretty tight, I was pulling on him slowly. We were still coming up to speed when we reached turn 1, a banked sweeper. I kept checking my mirror and he stayed pretty close through turns 1 to 10. He did have race tires to my Eagle F1SC streets. As we reached the long straight exiting turn 10, he was a 4 or 5 car lengths back. Down the straight we went. I pulled a few more car lengths then I lifted a little for turn 1 (speeds around 125 on the entry). I powered through turn 1 and then turn 2 at about 120. Heading for turn 3 I looked in the mirror and Porsche boy was now a distant memory. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Best part was a few minutes after our run session, over he walks trying to figure out how a Z06 destroyed him. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif Nice guy, liked my car and the mod red interior. He made me list all my mods so he wouldn't feel so bad about his encounter with a street tired, QS Bad A$$! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

JC, isn't this worth a free Z06Vette.com shirt.

01 Z06-- Quicksilver, modified torch red interior, DRM roll bar and harnesses, DRM long tube headers, cam, CNC heads, Crane 1.8 rockers, 10.9 to 1 compression ratio, Donaldson LS6, Corsa Indys, Euro tail lights, B&M Ripper, 496 crank hp,
421.7 rwhp, 483 crank torque, 410.6 rwt (Mustang Dyno) Minneapolis,Mn
Ron M.

See less See more
#4 ·
Sounds like it was a thorough spanking. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ron, you need a video camera mount in your car. I would love to see video of that action.

1985 Coupe/Red
2002 Z06/Millennium Yellow/Black/Everything
including PSMs (Pontiac Side Moldings /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif )
Order# DKFFMZ - TPW 8/6!!!

#5 ·
Great story Ron! I think I would have told him it was a stock Z! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Did he have any mods other than tires?

#7 ·
Ron:

You should have told him you were stock. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
that would have ruined his day. Good job!

#10 ·
EXCELLENT!!!
BIR is an AWESOME track, and it's stories like these I love to hear!
I'm sure the driver had a 'bit' to do w/ the wuppin'(on street tires /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif ) as well /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
Nice driving...

#11 ·
Ron,

Very nice kill! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

You would think that with the superior European handling, all wheel drive and race tires he would have enough to make up the few HP you might have on him. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nice job!

#12 ·
It was very enjoyable opening a can of whup a$$ on a 911TT! Running turn 1 and turn 2 at high speeds is primarily about testicle size /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Some guys say theirs just disappear into their stomach just when they approach those turns. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif Actually, those cars are pretty cool, but I like our bang for the buck.

#15 ·
Ron: Sounds like you spend a fair amount of time on the track. Sure would be cool if you had an incar camera that you could post videos with so the rest of us could ride along with ya. Great story! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

#16 ·
CONGRATULATIONS!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

GOLD72

#17 ·
On 2001-08-09 17:19, pmontelo spewed forth this drivel:
Ron, you need a video camera mount in your car. I would love to see video of that action.

I have been a little spooked about in-car videos. The last time I had a camera in my car, the car ended up on its roof with me suffering a compression fracture of my neck. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif To make it worse, I had neglected to even turn the damn camera on so I didn't even get the crash on video! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif

#18 ·
Nice story ron. Love to hear about Americas Flagship dominate the raceway. I bet that guy felt like selling his 100,000 dollar car and getting something worth it like 2 Z's /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif Good job buddy, keep those storys coming and try to get some video action. You can tell we all would love to see it /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

RedZ

#20 ·
I laid an ars beatin on some dork in a new 911tt on the beltway few weeks ago. By the time I was at 140, I was in front by at least 8 cars & pulling away HARD. Funny thing is that before we ran 'em he was talikn a little smack. hehehe

#23 ·

On 2001-08-09 22:15, Rippied.Z06 spewed I have been a little spooked about in-car videos. The last time I had a camera in my car, the car ended up on its roof with me suffering a compression fracture of my neck.
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif Yow, I guess after that I might be spooked too. You definitely don't want something to break your concentration at those speeds... I guess we'll have to settle for your stories and use our imaginations for the video. I have a nice mental image of the Porsche driver with a look of utter disbelief on his face! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

#24 ·
Hey Ron, you forgot to mention that when they were clocking cars in the morning, two cars tied for high speed at the end of the straight (150MPH). One was the 911TT and the other was my white Z06 which is stock except for a K&N. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The bummer is that I need new tires at 2600 miles... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

#25 ·
Tom, are you saying you want to race? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif Just kidding! Actually, I never saw anyone checking speeds and Mike M. didn't know about it either. Do you know who was doing the speed measures? If I had seen them I might have stayed on the gas to turn 1 instead of coasting in. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
When my car was stock last fall and I was trying to max out the straight speeds, I was running right around 150 also, maybe a touch under. This June when I was running for time and thus trying to max my speeds all around the track, I was running about 159 on the straight. I picked up almost 10 mph with the mods. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Last Wed., I was working on my lines in the corners and I was rolling into turn 1 without braking so I was letting off the gas about 140. Your Z06 is definitely running STRONG!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.